PDA

View Full Version : GN250 strange noise?

Zerker
2nd June 2013, 13:19
Hi,
recently went to start bike it was cold and did not start first try with the electric start, when I took my thumb of the starter the engine made a sound like as if someone had dropped a ball bearing in there, a nice loud clunk donk (echoed in the basement car park), I tentatively tried to start it again and it fired right up no worries and no strange noises. any idea what that noise was? worried their might be something wrong, it also seems to stutter a little bit when engine breaking in 2nd or 3rd gear.
any ideas? paint it yellow?

Subike
2nd June 2013, 13:42
Have a close look around the starter motor, check that the power bands attached to the starter have not come loose, as can happen when left too long in dark confined places. There is a Larger Black wire coming off of the starter,that links it to the battery, is this tight at both terminals? Check that you also have not developed electrolysis at the contact points under the starter button, which is like a white powder, can result in poor electronic contacts and low amperage getting to the starter motor. Could also be the starter clutch starting to go US.

gammaguy
2nd June 2013, 16:16
Have a close look around the starter motor, check that the power bands attached to the starter have not come loose, as can happen when left too long in dark confined places. There is a Larger Black wire coming off of the starter,that links it to the battery, is this tight at both terminals? Check that you also have not developed electrolysis at the contact points under the starter button, which is like a white powder, can result in poor electronic contacts and low amperage getting to the starter motor. Could also be the starter clutch starting to go US.

Its your starter clutch:(

Zerker
2nd June 2013, 16:24
Its your starter clutch:(

could you be more specific as to what would be wrong with the starter clutch? or how to test it?

Katman
2nd June 2013, 16:38
could you be more specific as to what would be wrong with the starter clutch? or how to test it?

Yes, it sounds like your starter clutch.

Just keep using your bike. If it starts to make that sound more often then you'll need to get it looked at.

It's not doing any harm in the meantime though.

Edit: The only fix is replacing the one way starter clutch components.

bosslady
2nd June 2013, 17:05
my bike also often has problems starting, wonder if it's the same thing? is it expensive to fix?

Katman
2nd June 2013, 17:08
my bike also often has problems starting, wonder if it's the same thing? is it expensive to fix?

It would only be the same thing if your bike sometimes makes horrible knocking/banging noises from the motor while trying to start it.

Worn starter clutches have a distinctive horrendous noise.

bosslady
2nd June 2013, 17:10
oh ok not that then

Zerker
2nd June 2013, 17:50
excellent, I'm relieved I won't have to worry about it right now, I will keep an eye out for parts, I was hoping to flick it on soon but I don't want to pass on troubles.
on that note, do you know how long this should last? it's a 2005 model, also the Carb Boot looks cracked and worn is that common or has it seen some rough treatment?

FROSTY
5th June 2013, 12:07
Im not a GN hater so not bein a smartass. I thought that clunk was a pretty common noise in GN250's and their various version.

Banditbandit
5th June 2013, 13:43
Hi,
paint it yellow?

I would not recommend painting a GN yellow at all. It's the wrong coloured power band for the bike - and GNs are ghey enough already ... :innocent:

FJRider
5th June 2013, 13:48
Hi,
recently went to start bike it was cold and did not start first try with the electric start, when I took my thumb of the starter the engine made a sound like as if someone had dropped a ball bearing in there, a nice loud clunk donk (echoed in the basement car park), I tentatively tried to start it again and it fired right up no worries and no strange noises. any idea what that noise was? worried their might be something wrong, it also seems to stutter a little bit when engine breaking in 2nd or 3rd gear.

If you have serious doubts as to it's ability to start ... always park on a hill.

And Red power Bands are more reliable ...

FJRider
5th June 2013, 13:53
... or how to test it?

Press the starter button. If it starts ... it's working. If it makes noises (apart from the engine noises) ... it's the starter clutch.

GDOBSSOR
8th July 2013, 23:49
Hi,

What sort of 'clunk' did it sound like? My bike often makes a very loud 'gasping' noise if it's stalled or if I turn it off too suddenly, which echoes if it's in an enclosed space such as an underground carpark or the garage. The bike sounds like it's dying, but my friend assured me it's nothing to worry about - it's just the engine turning over the last couple of times after suddenly being cut off. It sounds like that is what it could be if you started it again and it started with no worries and no strange noises, but I'm not a mechanic and haven't heard your bike for myself. As for the stuttering - my bike has started to do that too, and it's concerning me a bit. The carb could need a good clean. As for the bike having trouble starting - during the winter, GN250s, especially the older models, are always harder to start. I've found that during the summer, I could get away with starting mine without the choke, but now, once it's been left for more than an hour and a half, it'll never start without the choke as the engine's gone cold. Most of the time, it will start if I pull out the choke and give it plenty of time to warm up. If it's been left for more than a couple of days... it won't start, even with the choke. In this case, crash-starting it does the trick.

GDOBSSOR
8th July 2013, 23:52
I would not recommend painting a GN yellow at all. It's the wrong coloured power band for the bike - and GNs are ghey enough already ... :innocent:

Mine is pansexual.