PDA

View Full Version : SUZUKI RE150 Good??

doc_a01
20th August 2005, 00:02
Hey y'all, VERY new to this!

was looking at starting to learn how to ride a bike, my flatmate is real into it, and a couple of my friends at Uni really reccommend it to, problem is, I am a bit scared of crashing :P

was looking at this bike,
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports-tourer/auction-33588325.htm

and was wondering what people thought? also, any pointers on a good first bike would be awsome!

cheers!

Arthur

SPORK
20th August 2005, 00:08
It's an RG150.

Many people here like them. Welcome to KB :)

If you do get it, make sure you spend some money getting good protective gear. Don't become a statistic.

Posh Tourer :P
20th August 2005, 03:22
If I were you I'd get a bike with no fairings, maybe a Honda VTR250 or similar, so it'll cost less if you do crash (no expensive plastics to replace).

Also, the RG150 is a 2-stroke, so may need more maintenance than a 4-stroke engine. If you arent that mechanically minded, I'd go for something else.

Racey Rider
20th August 2005, 04:05
I had one. (it's a RG not a RE). Great bikes for the money.
Not much power before 7000 Rpm, but then it pulls well up to 12 000 odd.
For a real beginer, a VT250 might be a easyer ride, but you'ld out grow it, get bored with it pretty quick. The Rg150 will keep you intertained right through till your full licence.
$2000 is the highist you would expect to pay for one privatley. They come up for $1500 often. Plus the fact that that one is in Dunedin.
With the small two strokes you do need to be aware that at 25 000 - 30 000km, it may be time for a new piston and rings set. Not a hard job. Theres people on here that would help you do it. Could even be a KB spanner night thing. but allow $200 for parts.
Would I buy that one? Only if I lived there.
Would I buy another RG150? Absolutely! :Punk: