PDA

View Full Version : Peri Peri Chilli - Help

Mom
3rd June 2013, 17:59
Ok, so someone on here (?Riffer) must know this hottest of hot chilli. I am lucky enough to have gathered up some of these hot little suckers for later consumption. I want to save some of the seeds so I can grow them next season, so I have a couple of questions. I am assuming here letting them dry naturally will do the trick? Do I need to dry them inside the chilli body or can I deseed and leave them to air dry? The growing of them is not a problem.

The next question is, should I dry the chilli's and grind them up, or make a Peri Peri sauce? Anyone got a recipe for such a thing?

Tips and hints welcome. Apparently these ones are VERY hot :devil2:

Ocean1
3rd June 2013, 18:15
Ok, so someone on here (?Riffer) must know this hottest of hot chilli. I am lucky enough to have gathered up some of these hot little suckers for later consumption. I want to save some of the seeds so I can grow them next season, so I have a couple of questions. I am assuming here letting them dry naturally will do the trick? Do I need to dry them inside the chilli body or can I deseed and leave them to air dry? The growing of them is not a problem.

The next question is, should I dry the chilli's and grind them up, or make a Peri Peri sauce? Anyone got a recipe for such a thing?

Tips and hints welcome. Apparently these ones are VERY hot :devil2:

Birds-eye chili, supposed to be the hottest variety.

Cut the chili and brush the seeds out. Put them on a paper towel, on a tray, in the hot water cupboard. They take a couple of weeks to dry, someone told me they need to be crisp to bite.

Don't have a recipe for peri peri sauce, but if you find one that works well let me know.

Mom
3rd June 2013, 18:38
Don't have a recipe for peri peri sauce, but if you find one that works well let me know.

Ok, so I am on the right side for the saving of seeds. I make a hot, spicy tomato sauce, but what I want is a nasty chilli sauce to have on hand to "brighten up" a dull dish :rolleyes:

tnarg
3rd June 2013, 19:18
My flatmate just made a chilli jam out of what he had. Very nice. Could get recipe if you are interested.

avgas
3rd June 2013, 19:43
If your going to make a sauce process the chillis fresh into the sauce otherwise you just end up with sauce + dried up hunks of chilli.......which is effectively hot chunks in mud.
Most of the recipes ask for garlic......but I am not so sure.
http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipe/19/Piri_piri_sauce

Mom
3rd June 2013, 20:16
My flatmate just made a chilli jam out of what he had. Very nice. Could get recipe if you are interested.

Yes please.

If your going to make a sauce process the chillis fresh into the sauce otherwise you just end up with sauce + dried up hunks of chilli.......which is effectively hot chunks in mud.
Most of the recipes ask for garlic......but I am not so sure.
http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipe/19/Piri_piri_sauce

And yeah, fresh into fresh is all you can do for sauce. Dried stuff goes into slow cooked other stuff...

Man, I am so eloquent sometimes :lol:

bluninja
3rd June 2013, 20:31
I used to make a chilli vinegar. Bring some white wine to the boil and add sliced chillies. Simmer for a few minutes than pop it in a bottle. Leave in the cupboard for a month and then just add to anything that's too bland.

george formby
4th June 2013, 11:47
The advice on saving the seeds is good. Remember to soak them before germinating, though.

You need to use the seeds in your sauce too, most of the heat, capsicain, is in the white membrane & seeds, not the flesh.
A basic recipe would be onion, garlic, vinegar, sugar, a bit of tomato or capsicum for colour & chillies. Sweat off the veggies, add tomato, vinegar & sugar, simmer, season & blend it for the sauce. You can stick a small lump of dark chocolate in there too. Richens it up.

If you have heaps of chillies, cut some in half & stuff into a bottle of tequila or vodka. Drink after one month, well, get somebody to drink it.

THIS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naga_Bhut_Jolokia) is the hottest chilli. Inedible in my opinion. Scotch Bonnets & Habanero's are bad enough.

Oh, you need the vinegar & sugar in your sauce to stimulate your taste buds, so you get the full sweat on from the chilli.

Oh +1, you can freeze fresh chillies for future cooking just tickety boo.

SMOKEU
4th June 2013, 11:54
If you have any spare chillis, cut a couple of them lengthwise so the seeds are exposed, and throw it all into a litre of vodka. Leave for 3-4 days, and enjoy. You can leave the chillis in the bottle.

Mom
8th June 2013, 15:02
The advice on saving the seeds is good. Remember to soak them before germinating, though.

You need to use the seeds in your sauce too, most of the heat, capsicain, is in the white membrane & seeds, not the flesh.
A basic recipe would be onion, garlic, vinegar, sugar, a bit of tomato or capsicum for colour & chillies. Sweat off the veggies, add tomato, vinegar & sugar, simmer, season & blend it for the sauce. You can stick a small lump of dark chocolate in there too. Richens it up.

If you have heaps of chillies, cut some in half & stuff into a bottle of tequila or vodka. Drink after one month, well, get somebody to drink it.

THIS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naga_Bhut_Jolokia) is the hottest chilli. Inedible in my opinion. Scotch Bonnets & Habanero's are bad enough.

Oh, you need the vinegar & sugar in your sauce to stimulate your taste buds, so you get the full sweat on from the chilli.

Oh +1, you can freeze fresh chillies for future cooking just tickety boo.

Well I made the sauce...

My nose started dripping while it was boiling :eek5: but the end result is very tasty indeedy.

I used onion, garlic, vinegar sugar and the chillies, oh and some tomato paste and water. It is hot, but not too hot, has a lovely burn then just fades away. Very happy with the result :yes:

Berries
8th June 2013, 17:21
If you want chilli advice go to this UK forum - chillisgalore. (http://www.chillisgalore.co.uk/phpBB3/index.php) Not many of us from NZ are on it. There are some excellent recipes on there but I'm not swapping those on a motorbike forum. For a laugh and a bit of KB style abuse you can try the US forum here - The Hot Pepper. (http://thehotpepper.com/)

I have been growing a variety of nagas and habs for several years. I wouldn't get too worked up about what is the hottest, a standard habanero will do for most people.

doc
8th June 2013, 17:34
This is a simpl one that always works for me.

36 chillies. I just use what I get over the growing season
1.5 kg sugar
750 mls white vinegar
750 mls tomatoe sauce
3 large granny smith type apples.
3 large cloves of garlic.

Peel it all etc

Blend the chopped chillies garlic and apples untill you have a puree.
Boil puree vinegar and sugar 20 mins.
Add tomatoe sauce and boil another 20 mins.

My tips.
You have to add the sugar to get the thickness otherwise it is to runny.

The more hotter (ie. more chillies you add) the longer it lasts. Meaning no one wants it.

Ocean1
8th June 2013, 18:25
This is a simpl one that always works for me.

Nice, cheers.

But I can never just leave well enough alone, y'know? I reckon some molasses instead of some of that sugar might be the go, eh?

Woodman
8th June 2013, 18:55
Do not put boiling hot chilli sauce mixture into a plastic blender and then turn it on with the lid off.:facepalm:

I just freeze my chillis in a bag and get one or two or three out when needed.

Mom
8th June 2013, 20:02
The more hotter (ie. more chillies you add) the longer it lasts. Meaning no one wants it.

I call it the more hotterer!

Chillie kills germs, speeds up metabolism, and has to be good for you.

I have a claim to fame chillie recipe.

Chicken dish, called for up to 5 fresh chillies. None fresh available, so we had to use dried.

I worked out 5 tsp of dry = 1 fresh :facepalm:

I like it HOT...

So, 25 tsp of dried chillie flakes later, I was cooking chicken...

Far Canal! Hotter than a hot thing. Was ok as long as it did not touch the outside of your lips as you ate it. Was good as gold the other end next morning too :banana:

Thankfully I don't make potentially HOT chillie shit under the influence of LOTS of wine these days, a little bit seems to be fine :sweatdrop