PDA

View Full Version : XJ 750 Yamaha

granstar
3rd June 2013, 19:07
Wee search of archive and can't find much here on the XJ 750's.
I first got an 81 XJ a few years ago, it was a rarer model with a 650 rolling chassis and 750 motor as fitted by the factory. Bought another as they go for a song for spare bits to find it a year later and nothing fitted. So i on-sold the 81 and kept the more common 82 XJ and got yet another 82 XJ for spares and it had been useful, also there are heaps of spares new and used for these bikes.
The runner is prepared for bike rallies and finding it a great bike for tootling about on. Everywhere i go ( like my old Triumph) I seem to get people come up to me and say " had one of those once" so must have been a popular bike. Ironic the same XJ 82 i have once chased the same 79 bonny I also own by the men in blue.
Local mechanic worked/ serviced the Police XJ models in the day and reckons these bike are bulletproof. Wonder if that's because they go so fast nobody can get a shot at them, apparently in their day fasted bike about:tugger:

There are a few about getting dregded up to make custom specials, cafe/ bobbers etc.

So i'll leave it open, what are your good/bad/ugly experiences with the old XJ's ?

Subike
3rd June 2013, 19:16
they all seem to be as old and grey as the riders I see on them.
Both FJ750's I know of, are owned and ridden by guys over 70!

granstar
3rd June 2013, 20:05
Well post that on the FJ thread then. Cool to see older riders out and about, hope i can at that age.:niceone:

BMWST?
3rd June 2013, 21:17
they all seem to be as old and grey as the riders I see on them.
Both FJ750's I know of, are owned and ridden by guys over 70!

you are getting confused between XJ and FZ i think?

BMWST?
3rd June 2013, 21:18
Wee search of archive and can't find much here on the XJ 750's.
I first got an 81 XJ a few years ago, it was a rarer model with a 650 rolling chassis and 750 motor as fitted by the factory. Bought another as they go for a song for spare bits to find it a year later and nothing fitted. So i on-sold the 81 and kept the more common 82 XJ and got yet another 82 XJ for spares and it had been useful, also there are heaps of spares new and used for these bikes.
The runner is prepared for bike rallies and finding it a great bike for tootling about on. Everywhere i go ( like my old Triumph) I seem to get people come up to me and say " had one of those once" so must have been a popular bike. Ironic the same XJ 82 i have once chased the same 79 bonny I also own by the men in blue.
Local mechanic worked/ serviced the Police XJ models in the day and reckons these bike are bulletproof. Wonder if that's because they go so fast nobody can get a shot at them, apparently in their day fasted bike about:tugger:

There are a few about getting dregded up to make custom specials, cafe/ bobbers etc.

So i'll leave it open, what are your good/bad/ugly experiences with the old XJ's ?

never liked the rectangularness of the 750 i always liked the 650 styling though and the xj 900

Motu
3rd June 2013, 22:40
Pretty looking bike in the day..in red. I always liked the curved spokes. Had one come in that was locked in 1st gear, a piece had broken off the alt chain guide...and dropped onto the shift drum, there was no way to get the shift drum to rotate. I guess I could've tuned the bike upside down and given it a shake, but that wouldn't have fixed the chain guide. I just fitted another customer supplied engine.

unstuck
4th June 2013, 07:18
I like the 41y,s bestest.:bleh:

granstar
4th June 2013, 18:27
So far i have binned the anti dive and it's a much better bike. Self cancelling indicators work like normal now with a 2 prong relay fitted which is safer if doing series of corners in town.
I reckon it needs a sixth gear. Do like the low seat height and centre of gravity, handles pretty good but then this is newest bike iv'e owned so know no better :lol:.