PDA

View Full Version : Wet weather race tyres?

tz tony
4th June 2013, 14:33
Hi there, I am looking for some advice , not having ever raced on a " proper wet tyre" and having just bought a brand new set of Pirelli Diablo SCR1 wets, I want to know how I use then for the first time, as in do I treat them like a normal tyre? couple of gentle laps and away we go or is there another way?

The bike is a zxr400.

Thanks

Drew
4th June 2013, 14:40
Warm up lap is plenty for a wet. Don't bother with warmers, waste of time the way we have to fuck around to get onto a race track in this country.

Flag drops, ride like fuck and don't think about them.

Mental Trousers
4th June 2013, 16:01
Best bit of advice I ever had for using Wets is you've got the same amount of grip as you have in the dry but you have to be a lot smoother on the entry and exit of the corner. Other than that half a lap and they're as hot as they're gonna be.

As for running them in, 1 lap and you're done.

Biggles08
4th June 2013, 19:29
Hi there, I am looking for some advice , not having ever raced on a " proper wet tyre" and having just bought a brand new set of Pirelli Diablo SCR1 wets, I want to know how I use then for the first time, as in do I treat them like a normal tyre? couple of gentle laps and away we go or is there another way?

The bike is a zxr400.

Thanks
WOW!!!! brand new wets!?! I can't remember when the last time I rode on brand new wets (in fact I haven't...ever!).

The biggest thing like Mental Trousers has already said is be smooth on the gas and apply the breaks generously but a little smoother than you may be inclined to do in the dry. Your front will still have almost as much grip as in the dry under brakes straight up and down but your rear will have less grip in the lean exiting corners (as will the front). Personally I find I still use the same braking markers as I do in the dry but the main differnce is your top speed will be down due to the reduced throttle application on the exit of the corners.

Once you have got your head around how much grip there actually is in the wet you should enjoy yourself.

busadayz
4th June 2013, 20:36
Thanks for the advice, all good to take on board, especially about having that much available grip. I guess it comes down to the rider to gauge it for themselves, but certainly gives me more confidence. What do most people run on a damp track? Say no standing water, no rain but very moist. Probably intermediates, but not everyone can afford that many tyres. Anyone out there have a rear 150/160 wet for sale for a motard.
Prefer no older than a year- 18 months or newer, not too worried about brand,
Cheers, Sean.

tz tony
5th June 2013, 09:30
Ok, thanks, so just one lap then Im away, great.

Now I have them it wont rain on Saturday......................

tz tony
5th June 2013, 09:31
And if any one wants to go halves in a pit garage on Satyurday let me know.

discodan
5th June 2013, 13:49
I nearly always have a slide on the first lap with a brand new set of wets so I'd take it easy and build up. Also, you will want to run the pressures higher than slicks so they don't get too hot or close up the grooves under heavy breaking.

slowpoke
5th June 2013, 17:51
Can't say I've done a lot of racing in the wet but the way I reassure myself is this: Stroudy/Craig/Choppa can probably go just as fast in the wet as most of us can in the dry so there's not much reason to back off, just be smooth.

Deano
5th June 2013, 18:18
I nearly always have a slide on the first lap with a brand new set of wets so I'd take it easy and build up. Also, you will want to run the pressures higher than slicks so they don't get too hot or close up the grooves under heavy breaking.

+1

I nearly high sided on a new rear wet exiting the Dunlop sweeper at Manfeild. I just had a brain fart and forgot, and was amping to get a good qualifying lap on my first hot lap.

slowpoke
5th June 2013, 18:26
+1

I nearly high sided on a new rear wet exiting the Dunlop sweeper at Manfeild. I just had a brain fart and forgot, and was amping to get a good qualifying lap on my first hot lap.

This coming from a man with gills and a dorsal fin.

wharfy
11th June 2013, 13:45
+1

I DID high-side coming out of Higgins (they weren't new wets) but if it is wet, if they let go it all happens pretty quick !

Drew
11th June 2013, 16:50
I DID high-side coming out of Higgins (they weren't new wets) but if it is wet, if they let go it all happens pretty quick !Not as quick when one softens their suspension up to suit the conditions.

It's often overlooked by the racers I've seen, who just chuck on a set of wets and think they're good to go.

Deano
11th June 2013, 17:06
Not as quick when one softens their suspension up to suit the conditions.

It's often overlooked by the racers I've seen, who just chuck on a set of wets and think they're good to go.

'Forgets' to soften ?

I did at Teretonga in 2012. Had ten minutes to change into wets, pulling gloves and helmet on at 30 second call. I remembered half way round the track I hadn't softened my suspenders so I sped up a little, got to the start grid and quickly did it then. The marshal was not impressed.