PDA

View Full Version : GN250 gear change issue

lobsterback
8th June 2013, 11:27
I currently have a 2004 GN250. Only 15k on the clock

Rode home lastnight ok. Went to work this morning. Gear selection seems to not be working today.

1st and 2nd work most times but any higher and it may take a few attempts. Occasionally drops out of gear.Changing down is a problem also. Double gear selection to make sure it stays in gear sometimes works.

Had a look at the basics. Free play at clutch pivot. Checked detense spring locator next to oil drain plug. Took side cover off and looked a pawl's springs. Everything looked to be ok. At this point im a little lost as to what may be the issue.

Further checks or advise on next steps appreciated.

Subike
8th June 2013, 11:33
when was the last oil change done?

unstuck
8th June 2013, 11:33
Have you checked to make sure lever is not slipping on shaft? http://www.dansmc.com/mc_repaircourse.htm

Akzle
8th June 2013, 13:34
you have a 675 and you ride a GN?

sounds like you've checked everything i'd've told you to, except the oil. when that wears out it can cause slippage. so do that. 10w30 iirc.

cable could be a dud, and it's at the end of the adjustment?
the pawl springs may be OK, but did you check the push-rod-actuator for functionality?

good luck with it...

lobsterback
11th June 2013, 18:55
Thanks for the comments guys

yeah GN is the old mans.

Oil change was done once bike put back together. Took it round the block and same issue.
Gear change spline appears solid. Clutch cable has plenty of adjustment remaining.
Push rod seems positive on clutch movement if i understand what you mean by the push rod (seems to actuate the clutch correctly with free play while not being excessive)

One thing I'd like to know is what exactly does the Gear shifting cam stopper actually locate in. Is it a dimple or a cam. (anyway of viewing this or testing, have placed a screwdriver in hole and can feel resistance/movement while attempting to change gear)

Link below seems to show similar problem

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/archive/index.php/t-62357.html

Any further advice appreciated

ducatilover
11th June 2013, 19:01
Not uncommon on Chinese GNs and high milage/raped Japanese ones.
Mine was starting to do it, but it was pretty happy once I chucked some Motul in it.

I have a bunch of spares I can send you once I'm at my garage in a few weeks?