PDA

View Full Version : Motu involved in motorcycle accident!

Motu
12th January 2004, 10:52
I should work at a newspaper with a headline like that! wasn't me,but I was there.

Last evening I was going for a walk,Uriah Heep on the discman when I heard a bike coming,a Sporty...it changed down to pass a car and then I saw the nightmare unfold before my eyes - the car was turning and the bike slammed into it's side sending bike and rider spinning down the road.I've had this happen to me several times,it's not nice to watch as a spectator either.I was off and running as soon as they hit,it only happened just in front of me,but it took along time to get there - that space time distorsion,I was busting a gut getting nowhere as the rider was tumbling down the road.The driver of the car was there first,checked out the rider then was off screaming for an ambulance,so I went to help the rider.It was a woman,her shoe had been ripped of and the foot was at a bad angle,so that was broken,but no blood,some blood on her left hand as the glove had been ripped off,but fingers were all there and whole.She was starting to feel the pain and go into shock,all I could do was hold her and tell her help was on the way,tried to get her helmet off but she wouldn't let me,I doubt if there was any neck or back injuries,but I left it on.Soon more help arrived and I backed out as more helpful people arrived,wrapping her leg,ice,stuff like that.

So I went do do what no one else had bothered about - the bike.I turned off the ignition,picked it up and pushed it onto the grass verge,then set about picking up pieces of Harley and clothes from the road.The bike was covered in oil,the oil filler cap had popped off and the chaincase had been ripped clean off the bike,gear oil everywhere,I soon had a small pile of bike parts,the riders sneaker and glove,also her ring I found later.The ambulance came and did their bit - the driver made her look at the helmet (full face) and identify the scratches,were they new or not,grazes all over,but not many deep ones.I talked to the cop,we walked the scene,seeing the skid mark,where it hit the road,mounted the curb,took out the full wheelie bin and where bike and then rider landed.It took him a while,but he finaly spotted something I had noticed,a pickup came to take the bike away and I wandered off home - so much for my walk.

Some things to talk about - this was a late model 883 Sportster one or two yrs old max,checked the mileage - 4800km,that'd be right,the thing was in as new shape,2001,2002 I'd say.I couldn't tell because there was no rego or WoF on the bike,or on the road,this is what the cop picked out - but I also noticed the reg plate....started with SF,one of my bikes has a SSM plate,I got that in 94,so this plate is say 92.Why would a 2002 bike not be registered? Hmmm.

ATGATT - all the gear all the time.SNEAKERS on a bike...oh,looks like she broke her foot,wonder how that happened.I wear MX boots,you're not getting me to wear anything less.Couldn't find a sock either.

Easy to see how it happened,I've done it,guess some of you lot have been as stupid too.I don't think the car had it's indicator on when it went past me,but it was on when they hit,so it was a late indication - there was no way she could of avoided this one once she started to overtake,but it's not a good move to do these days.I just ride with the traffic now - age does that to ya,ya know.

Well,that wasn't a nice way to end my sunday,you can bet i'm going to be looking closely at any cars I overtake from now on.

k14
12th January 2004, 11:13
Damn, that must have been a bit of excitement.

So do you reckon the bike was nicked or something?? Sounds a bit shady to me.

How fast was she going?? Did she t-bone the car and then go flying through the air?? Did she have leathers on??

I always wear either my work boots (leather steel caps) or my alpinestars racing boots. Nice to know that i have my feet/ankles covered.

georgedubyabush
12th January 2004, 11:18
What speed would you say?

James Deuce
12th January 2004, 11:20
Hate those sorts of accidents.

I've learned to stay with the traffic too. I've had too many people indicate left and turn right to not do so.

Hitcher
12th January 2004, 11:24
Hate those sorts of accidents.

I've learned to stay with the traffic too. I've had too many people indicate left and turn right to not do so.
Now this is another hobby horse of mine...

If God had wanted motorists to tell others which way they were turning he would have put orange flashing lights on the corners of their vehicles...
:ar15:

Coldkiwi
12th January 2004, 11:43
I'm guessing it might've been viewed as too expensive to register the bike so she didn't bother?

Motu
12th January 2004, 11:58
Not too fast,somewhere around 70kph,certainly not screaming,but accelerating to pass.

If the rego lapsed then a plate from another vehicle was maybe used - done that often enough myself,but on such a late model bike? Maybe have belonged to someone else who isn't around at the moment,taken for a spin to give it some use? I don't think it was stolen,just suspisious I think,like you buy a new bike,put 4800km on it,let the rego lapse? talk about disposable income!

wkid_one
12th January 2004, 12:05
Been there done that - I was lucky to escape with a lost footpeg only.....

Nothing worse than seeing an accident tho......

georgedubyabush
12th January 2004, 14:13
Been there done that - I was lucky to escape with a lost footpeg only.....

Nothing worse than seeing an accident tho......

True... Ive seen a car flip and spin upside down across the road in front of me. Seeing a flying person from a motorcycle however would be a whole different level of :sick: feeling.

Ms Piggy
12th January 2004, 15:29
:gob: Being a new rider I've been really surprised at the amount of riders I've seen (esp in the sunny hot weekends) who ride in just a t-shirt & shorts or a light shirt and no gloves. What's with that??!

My theory is that all that's between me & the road is what I'm wearing and regardless of if I'm going 5mins down the road or across the country I'd prefer to put on all the gear rather than risk it. :no:

Big Dog
12th January 2004, 16:32
This is why I ride a sport tourer the sport part takes care of the brakes / "flick it on its side and turn sharper than them" better then the tourer part and a one legged indication quickly wakes masticaters up. :bash:

Motu
12th January 2004, 17:10
I've been thinking how different bikes would do in this situation and what I myself would have done - never been a spectator to this before,I've always played the lead role.

I think the rider of a sport bike might not of come out as well - head and arms down,I think they might not of broken a leg,but done upper body damage.An adventure bike like I ride would have the leg damage,but as they sit much taller than a Harley they would hit the road much harder and do some damage to upper body...arms,hands,collar bones etc.Sporties are set up like a retro,but a leg forward Harley or cruiser? oh dear,both legs at least,they would have worn the bike as well.

As to what I would have done myself - this road has huge verges between curb and foot path...I would have possibly swerved,taken the curb and tried to get some control back on the grass.I ride adventure bikes,so both myself and the bike could possibly pull this off - but that full wheelie bin (full of clippings and dirt) would be hard to miss,to take it on the inside you would still hit the car,to go on the outside would send you into fences and block walls.Maybe hit the curb,then lay it down and take out the bin with the bike,sliding up driveways,along the verge and footpath.

Oh,you are going to brake and stop before you hit it with your super powerfull brakes? sorry,you didn't see the indicator and the car didn't start to turn until the bike was level with the rear wheel.If you are that good (like me) you wouldn't of been in this situation.

Damage to the car was quite bad - door and front guard,front suspn,but he drove it up his drive.

Big Dog
12th January 2004, 17:20
Maybe I'm too much of a Nana?
I have only been in this postion twice. Both times a fist full of anchors and a good lean angle have seen me pull up in time all be it facing the wrong way, and a boot to their rear guard has always arrested their turn.

Having said that I am a bit of a Nana and leave a good 3 feet between them and me when passing unless very slow. It gives me the shits seing people pass so close that the wing mirrors are in real jeopardy.

BlueR1
12th January 2004, 17:54
Maybe I'm too much of a Nana?
I have only been in this postion twice. Both times a fist full of anchors and a good lean angle have seen me pull up in time all be it facing the wrong way, and a boot to their rear guard has always arrested their turn.

Having said that I am a bit of a Nana and leave a good 3 feet between them and me when passing unless very slow. It gives me the shits seing people pass so close that the wing mirrors are in real jeopardy.

Good idea, especially considering I had a car swerve in front of me a few rides ago while trying to pass, Not sure what his problem was but there wasnt another car in sight, when I went to past he deliberatly and rapidly swerved in front of me I was only just able to avoid him, once past I looked back and gave him the finger only to have him waving it back, felt like following him and hunting him down, but this was one car that was best to be as far away from as possible!, in all my years of biking this is the only case where I have had a cage have a serious go at taking me out, any others experinced similar? :argh:

riffer
12th January 2004, 17:57
Glad to hear you were able to help, mate.

I hope I'm not involved in something like that, even as a spectator.

I should point out though, that you mentioned you tried to take her helmet off.

From what I've been told, you should never try to take someone's helmet off at an accident unless you are a trained medical professional, as there is a possibility of doing spinal cord damage if there are chipped bones in the neck, etc.

However, who am I to be negative. Well done Motu. I hope there's someone like you around if it ever happens to me!

Jackrat
12th January 2004, 18:38
Good idea, especially considering I had a car swerve in front of me a few rides ago while trying to pass, Not sure what his problem was but there wasnt another car in sight, when I went to past he deliberatly and rapidly swerved in front of me I was only just able to avoid him, once past I looked back and gave him the finger only to have him waving it back, felt like following him and hunting him down, but this was one car that was best to be as far away from as possible!, in all my years of biking this is the only case where I have had a cage have a serious go at taking me out, any others experinced similar? :argh:

First off MOTU you is a bloody hero mate,I have had a similar thing happen to me,I got out of it but don,t really know how,ended up on the foot path so shook up I couldn,t roll a smoke. :shit:
As for having a car try to take me out,Yes riding down the southern motor way I had a woman cross two lanes in an atempt to hit me.
I still have no idea what her game was but she followed me for a couple of km's before she did it.She was looking me in the eye as she came across the lanes at me so I know it was the real thing.I can only asume she mistooke me
for someone else.I was riding a 750 bonnie at the time so maybe she had an issue with british bike riders. :innocent:

Motu
12th January 2004, 19:02
Glad to hear you were able to help, mate.

I hope I'm not involved in something like that, even as a spectator.

I should point out though, that you mentioned you tried to take her helmet off.

From what I've been told, you should never try to take someone's helmet off at an accident unless you are a trained medical professional, as there is a possibility of doing spinal cord damage if there are chipped bones in the neck, etc.

However, who am I to be negative. Well done Motu. I hope there's someone like you around if it ever happens to me!

I am aware about not taking a helmet off,but as I saw the whole thing and was checking her out,I was pretty sure she had no injuries,she objected because she was just plain freaking out,but anyway,I didn't take it off.My main concern was to get her breathing better.

750Y
12th January 2004, 19:08
... in all my years of biking this is the only case where I have had a cage have a serious go at taking me out, any others experinced similar? :argh:
3 times, pretty damn scary, made me feel nauseous.

Back to the thread:
hope she's ok, although it sounds it.
Interesting to ponder what role the 'loud exhaust' played in this scenario.
ride careful out there people.

Firefight
12th January 2004, 19:50
I am aware about not taking a helmet off,but as I saw the whole thing and was checking her out,I was pretty sure she had no injuries,she objected because she was just plain freaking out,but anyway,I didn't take it off.My main concern was to get her breathing better.

Intersting point that you bring up re helmet removal, it used to be widely discouraged by ambos the practice of helmet removal prior to their arrival, however, as you rightly mentioned you concern for her breatheing, should always take first priority, helmet removal should normally be attempted with a minium of two , 1) to hold neck and skull in neutral alignment second person should then remove helmet, We are taught that if airway obstruction is a problem, then you should attempt to remove helmet, I remember a senior paramedic drawing a cross on the black board, and telling us "If their non breathing, and you do not attempt helmet removal They will die! !, always think the old A, B, C,. My fire crew all practice helmet removal in there Co- responder ambulance training, IMHO, all riders should be fimiluar with this basic skill. any way sounds like you were well onto it Motu, good on you..

firefight.

Andrew
12th January 2004, 21:05
Intersting point that you bring up re helmet removal, it used to be widely discouraged by ambos the practice of helmet removal prior to their arrival, however, as you rightly mentioned you concern for her breatheing, should always take first priority, helmet removal should normally be attempted with a minium of two , 1) to hold neck and skull in neutral alignment second person should then remove helmet, We are taught that if airway obstruction is a problem, then you should attempt to remove helmet, I remember a senior paramedic drawing a cross on the black board, and telling us "If their non breathing, and you do not attempt helmet removal They will die! !, always think the old A, B, C,. My fire crew all practice helmet removal in there Co- responder ambulance training, IMHO, all riders should be fimiluar with this basic skill. any way sounds like you were well onto it Motu, good on you..

firefight.

Good point FF. I'm involved in a riding a high risk transport, yet I'd have no idea about what to do in an emergency situation. Better do something about that - quickly! :doctor:

What?
14th January 2004, 09:24
...Last evening I was going for a walk,Uriah Heep on the discman...
Hope it wasn't "Look At Yourself", Motu. That could be too ironic, or worryingly prophetic :eek5:
Now you've displayed your musical taste, perhaps you could run a poll to see who knows what your signature is :rockon:

Motu
14th January 2004, 11:11
It was Salsbury,haven't heard it for years,but just scored an MP3 of the net.

In a week or so I will put up the second verse,then at least they will know what it's about,artist and album are open for guesses.

Sycophant
14th January 2004, 14:55
I've done two or three first aid courses in the past (although all my certs have expired currently) and on each course we have be instructed in and practiced helmet removal for motorcyclists.

We were trained to do just as firefight said. One person stablises and supports the head and neck while the other carefully removes the helmet.

I was recently second on the scene of an almost identical car vs. cyclist accident. Was quite a scare. I've been meaning to re-certify in first aid since then, and add a decent first aid kit to my bike.

Motu
14th January 2004, 15:48
Had my first aid kit stolen from my van last year,haven't got around to replacing it yet.I can only hope I personaly don't need it...but when I do need it,and don't have one...that it's the prick who nicked it !

Jackrat
14th January 2004, 15:51
It was Salsbury,haven't heard it for years,but just scored an MP3 of the net.

In a week or so I will put up the second verse,then at least they will know what it's about,artist and album are open for guesses.

I know,I know.
But I think I will keep it to meself for now :sly:

What?
16th January 2004, 08:25
I know,I know.
But I think I will keep it to meself for now :sly:
Me three. Us old buggers gotta stick together.

Marmoot
23rd January 2004, 18:32
Sounds like the car turned with a pretty rapid pace. Otherwise, the car's back would've grazed the bike and the bike would rather forced to lowside instead of T-boning the car (by your definition of the damage).

In that case, I would've been in the accident as well had it were me on the bike.

I know a lot of drivers do those things, especially when they're not sure of the area (i.e. looking for an address). They just turn the friggin wheel when their brain (or spouse) yells "TURN RIGHT HERE!".

Not only on roads, but on M'way as well. Nearly got wiped by a stupid old Holden this morning when I was driving in the M'way. I was in the middle lane, and the Holden just *whizzz* past in front of me from right hand lane straight to left hand lane just because it almost missed the exit. No Indicator. Had the person in front of me braked even slightly, it would mean 3-car pile up.

toads
22nd April 2004, 08:00
Good on ya Motu, you stopped and offered assistance, I've been on the scene of a serious accident before and I know how the victim appreciates the sort of care you showed, being in shock they don't think about it until a few days later, but you did good, I know I went and did a cpr course after the accident I attended and I am ultra saftey conscious now, although some accidents are just plain unavoidable

pete376403
22nd April 2004, 08:13
I've been thinking how different bikes would do in this situation and what I myself would have done - never been a spectator to this before,I've always played the lead role.

I think the rider of a sport bike might not of come out as well - head and arms down,I think they might not of broken a leg,but done upper body damage.An adventure bike like I ride would have the leg damage,but as they sit much taller than a Harley they would hit the road much harder and do some damage to upper body...arms,hands,collar bones etc..

A firend was taken out by a car turning, he was riding a BMW Funduro- broken forearn where it hit the car windscreen pillar, two fractured lower legs when they either hit the handlebars or the impact with the road, plus assorted abrasions. This guy was wearing full safety gear and the speed was estimated at 30 - 40 km,(he had just started off from a gas station)

FROSTY
23rd April 2004, 00:19
I was "unlucky" enough a few years ago to find myself in a similar situation.
through avondale at night on the main road a car started to pull out on me from a side street --
No sweat--on the picks,slow down--then he stopped the car and was looking at me--"great" I think" He's seen me now -panic over"--back on the gas and away --except he changed his mind -pulls away again and I'm 3 m away from him.
-flick the bike over to avoid him -flick it back to avoid the oncoming traffic
--sweet Im fine --except for the raised pedestrian island smack bang in the middle of the road.
concrete hurts motorbikes when ya hit it at 50 km/h
theyve changed that island now -go figure

RiderInBlack
23rd April 2004, 00:57
Good on ya Mate:niceone: . Did have me worried with your head-line, Motu. Thought you had been at it with your Pajaro:Pokey: (just kidding).
Have had to stop for accicdents before myself (joys of being a Reg Nurse). Bloody good to see the ambo dudes arrive, I tell you:sweatdrop