PDA

View Full Version : CX500 Cafe Racer Build

superunknown
9th June 2013, 14:11
So I figured I had better start a build thread for my current project.

It's been a pretty slow start, mainly due to having to track down where the Ducati has been bleeding from, and also having the frame for the CX500 over in Papamoa getting some adjustments done.

I got the bike in pieces, its a bit of a mess, but that's almost a good thing I guess, gives me a clean sheet to start with.
So far Ive stripped the frame back and repainted it, and now currently in the process of reassembling it and deciding what I want it to end up like and so on.

Have decided to probably go away from the original CX front forks in favour of something a bit more modern and upside down. The forks that came with the bike are pretty knackered, and the stanchions are pretty pitted, so that gives me an excuse to go for something a bit different.

The photos so far aren't too exciting, just reassembly of the frame this morning with putting swingarm, centre and side stands back on.

Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I can get some pics posted with a front end taking shape...

dangerous
9th June 2013, 17:13
A CX500... how sick do ya have to be, ya need your head read LOL... Ill be watching

ex cx owner x 5

Subike
9th June 2013, 17:29
um, your building a cafe racer right??
wtf do you need a center stand for?

superunknown
9th June 2013, 18:08
um, your building a cafe racer right??

near as i can figure its going to be a royal pain in the arse if i dont put it back on while im rebuilding it, seeing as the rear stand i got probably wont work all that well with it
its not like its going to be difficult to take it off again or anything

Kickaha
9th June 2013, 21:20
Maybe because they're a fuck sight more useful than a sidestand

Smifffy
10th June 2013, 11:21
Maybe because they're a fuck sight more useful than a sidestand

Especially during the build phase.

Drew
10th June 2013, 11:30
Maybe because they're a fuck sight more useful than a sidestandI considered leaving the one on my bucket...But it weighs a friggin ton!

dangerous
10th June 2013, 18:36
I considered leaving the one on my bucket...But it weighs a friggin ton!WOW a ton... yeah woulda fucked ya power ta weight ratio up a bit aye...

Bonez
11th June 2013, 01:45
I considered leaving the one on my bucket...But it weighs a friggin ton!Fitting one to a motorcycle would be more useful.

I'll be watching too....Still ride a '78 daily.

98tls
15th June 2013, 20:05
Pic for ya...

98tls
15th June 2013, 20:13
And another

MIXONE
15th June 2013, 21:44
That's the best looking cx I've ever seen.Well done that man.

98tls
16th June 2013, 13:08

pete-blen
21st June 2013, 21:40
The Honda USA CX500 flat tracker..

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/images/ns750_2.jpg

Arronduke
21st June 2013, 22:14
I have to comment.
The mighty CX500 ... worthy of a place in history.. one of the worlds ugliest, least performing, fag reputation bike.
No normal man would EVER be seen riding one.

Its perfect.... I want to CAFE one.

superunknown
29th August 2015, 14:23
So a time for a bit of an update, better late than never I guess.

Have achieved a wee bit, but not a hell of a lot, and have changed the scope of what the end result is going to be a little bit too. Lost a bit of interest in the project a couple of times due to other things going on, that's life.

The motor that came with the bike was a bit of a mess and wasn't really worth pouring money into to get going again, so I decided to turn it into a table as opposed to throwing it away, and just as well too I think, as when I was cleaning it up I found a couple of cracks in the block around the crank housing. Got hold of another engine, and decided while it was out to do piston rings, valve stem seals, water pump seal, and all the rest of that fun stuff while farting around tidying it up. Also cleaned up and rebuilt the carbs, pretty happy with how they scrubbed up.

Also got the tank and side covers painted. Yeah, I know, side covers. The reason for them is I'll be running the airbox, and this is for 2 reasons. First being that was talking to a couple of people about that, both who have worked on them from brand new, one said they don't run properly without the airbox, and the other said they will, but its a shitload of tuning and fluffing around with carbs. Can't be bothered with that.
Secondly, it also means I don't have to mess around with relocating the battery and the other crap that sits in there too.

Got most of the wiring kind of in last weekend, and this weekend it's a case of tidying it up a bit with cable routing and all that kind of carry on.

As for the change in scope, decided to go away from inverted forks on the front end and I'm keeping it relatively period correct with 90% of the bits and bobs going onto it. Rebuilt the front end with new stanchions and internals and all, cost a bit but its been done properly.
As far as brakes go, I've decided to go with twin pot front calipers off a similar era CB900 or something, whatever's available really. I'm going away from the drum on the back (not really too keen on drum brakes myself) and doing a disc conversion, and have a cunning plan for that.

Have attached some pics from various parts of doing stuff over the last couple of years too. The last one is as it sits at the moment, not liking the radiator guard, so that's going to come off I'm thinking.

Black Knight
30th August 2015, 11:36
Honda CX500-The most cool cafe'd bike in the world,getting a bit pricey now though and its only roughies that should be cafe'd.I have two totally unmodified ones and they are staying that way.If you want to pod filter the carbs its only a jet change to get em running OK,but why bother.

AllanB
30th August 2015, 12:11
I'd propose most of the airbox removal issues on bikes of that era are with people adding those piddly little pod filters that were all the rage. If you add a decent size pod it will be easier to tune. Plenty out there - K&N and Uni-filter options relative to the carb mouth size.

Brakes. Any brakes of that period are ........ less than average compared to todays.

Drew
30th August 2015, 12:19
The CV carbs on a CX are super sensitive to airbox volume. Take it off and it'll run like a bag of arseholes.

AllanB
30th August 2015, 13:26
The CV carbs on a CX are super sensitive to airbox volume. Take it off and it'll run like a bag of arseholes.

Like a Hyobag then bawahahahhahahaha

Bag or arseholes - worst thing about that phrase is the mental image it projects!

dangerous
30th August 2015, 17:16
speaking of arseholes... hows ya brother Drew?
hey now my hot rod CX of the 90's I never actually tried pod filters, drilled the jets out but kept the air box, thing is I built it to haul arse, a cafe style bike is more for pose so fuck it try the pods after all that is the cafe look

superunknown
30th August 2015, 17:29
Brakes. Any brakes of that period are ........ less than average compared to todays.

Agreed. But going for a pair of twin pots of the era for the front end is always going to be an improvement on what was on there to start with.

I did think about going to some Brembo monoblocs similar to what's bolted to my Ducati (before thinking of keeping it looking relatively 80's looking), they'd probably be a bit overkill, and with what I'd pay for an OK secondhand set I don't think I'd get the bang for buck with having them on the 500.

Honda CX500-The most cool cafe'd bike in the world,getting a bit pricey now though and its only roughies that should be cafe'd.I have two totally unmodified ones and they are staying that way.

I share that thought about only hacking rough ones to bits...
When I got this one it was in enough bits that I managed to fit it in the boot and across the back seat of the other half's Honda Accord, reckon that might be rough enough? Ha ha

Stylo
30th August 2015, 18:27
And I drove past a property on Port Hills Rd today, saw a lonely, original CX500 looking sitting on the front lawn with a 'for sale' sign hanging round it's neck. Didn't stop as I was was late for work.

Anyone interested I can stop there tomorrow and get some more detail

SS90
30th August 2015, 22:26

Hmmm, yes and no.
Yes, if you take the air box out without changing the needle height and slide bleed holes and likely main jet size, it will indeed run like rubbish. However these 3 things are (needle, slide bleed and mainjet size) are all that hold you back. The quickest way is to get it on an inertia dyno with an exhaust "sniffer" so you can map the fuel curve against the rpm (or road speed) an experienced operator will be able to set it up in a few hours.

Black Knight
1st September 2015, 09:05
There is a guy in the States-Murray Feldman-Who has made up complete bolt on carb set ups for the CX500 using Mikunis-You get a set of fully tuned carbs,inlet stubs and all cabling for around US$600-He has sold a lot of these to the International CX fraternity.

dangerous
3rd September 2015, 18:03
And I drove past a property on Port Hills Rd today, saw a lonely, original CX500 looking sitting on the front lawn with a 'for sale' sign hanging round it's neck.
Anyone interested I can stop there tomorrow and get some more detail

Na mate, thats a GL400, they were mid 80 imports, ewwwwie