PDA

View Full Version : Ninja EX250 2008 cam chain noise problem

drikz14
10th June 2013, 19:25
Hi guys,i have ninja EX250 2008 with 55000km on the odometer :shifty:
just realized that on the left hand side of my engine there is loud rattling noise after i rev the engine,but not all the times only happen after high rev from motorway,and shifting down gear.

went to George from Motorcycle doctors,he said need replace the cam chain :shit:
other guy from spectrum north shore said that my cam chain tensioner need to replace.

this rattling noise is so annoys me,so if anyone can help me that would be really good :)

cheers!

Mushu
10th June 2013, 19:39
My experience comes from working on cars, and I have yet to do anything other than routine maintenance on my bikes but usually I would replace the tensioner while doing the cam chain anyway, my advice would be to get a few quotes and just do them both, although I would expect a cam chain to last a fair bit longer than 55000 in a car.

drikz14
10th June 2013, 20:05
My experience comes from working on cars, and I have yet to do anything other than routine maintenance on my bikes but usually I would replace the tensioner while doing the cam chain anyway, my advice would be to get a few quotes and just do them both, although I would expect a cam chain to last a fair bit longer than 55000 in a car.

yea i think so mate the previous owner did not maintain the bike correctly.
is it good to use manual cam chain tensioner?

Akzle
10th June 2013, 20:12

amen! Your fuken sig is gone!
Bike cam chains are usually simplex small gague rollers, cars are duplex +.
Id expect my truck cc to do more than the current 280km, but thems the breaks.

Easy job tho, pays to do both cc and tensionr while your in there. As said above.

nzspokes
10th June 2013, 20:18
Listen to Spectrum. They know there shit on Kawasakis.

drikz14
10th June 2013, 20:43
Listen to Spectrum. They know there shit on Kawasakis.

yea need to buy the tensioner from those guys

Mushu
11th June 2013, 17:24
amen! Your fuken sig is gone!

yea, people stopped complaining, I figure I have to find a new way to piss people off.

Akzle
11th June 2013, 17:46
yea, people stopped complaining, I figure I have to find a new way to piss people off.

post in green :D

ducatilover
11th June 2013, 18:49
I'd suggest you clean the tensioner before replacing it :2thumbsup
Manual ones offer no advantage over a well made automatic tensioner unit

drikz14
13th June 2013, 17:32
I'd suggest you clean the tensioner before replacing it :2thumbsup
Manual ones offer no advantage over a well made automatic tensioner unit

yea that is a good idea,if its still need a replacement i am considering buying a secondhand tensioner from wreckers :)
i hope the noise is gone forever ;)

anyway thanks guys for the suggestion!

ducatilover
13th June 2013, 17:37
yea that is a good idea,if its still need a replacement i am considering buying a secondhand tensioner from wreckers :)
i hope the noise is gone forever ;)

anyway thanks guys for the suggestion!

The tensioners on the EX250s don't seem to wear much (yet) but can get gummed up.
I doubt it's in need of a chain yet either, but if you take it in make sure it is measured before replacing as it could be a worn guide

Have you had it checked out properly yet?

The cam chain is on the RHS of them BTW

Akzle
13th June 2013, 18:05
measure a chain? That sounds free lengthy.

Take it off and youll be able to feel if it needs replacement.

OP, you dont sound mechanically inclined, who will you pay to fit your shit?

drikz14
14th June 2013, 19:12
The tensioners on the EX250s don't seem to wear much (yet) but can get gummed up.
I doubt it's in need of a chain yet either, but if you take it in make sure it is measured before replacing as it could be a worn guide

Have you had it checked out properly yet?

The cam chain is on the RHS of them BTW

not yet mate,will do it on monday :)
but i believe the chain is fine,just the tensioner that may be gummed up due the last owner lack of maintenance :mad:

SS90
22nd June 2013, 22:09
Some well meaning replies here mate, but some miss the mark. Firstly, 55,000 km on a cam chain for a 250? That's about right, many last less than that.
Forums are an interesting situation, and you would be well advised to take the advise from a workshop as they are not only experienced, but also have seen/heard your bike.
But the basics are, 55000km for chain and tensioner? That's pretty good (many bikes need them at 30,000.

Many times, it can just be a tensioner that is the issue, an experienced technition can simply remove the tensioner and see how much travel is left in the tensioner as it comes off, and tell you if the chain is worn or the tensioner is faulty.