PDA

View Full Version : Pillion legalities?

Ulsterkiwi
14th June 2013, 19:57
I had this dream one night, in the dream I was looking at the NZTA website and it said that motorcycle riders on a L or R licence could take a passenger if they were a spouse or member of immediate family.
In the dream my wife was so keen on the idea she bought some nice 2nd hand gear to protect her lovely skin and bones in anticipation of:crazy: the day I had enough confidence and experience so that the two of us could take off on a Sunday afternoon for a leisurely ride and grab a sedate coffee before ambling back home again.

It must have been a dream because now I am definitely awake and when I look at the NZTA website I cant find any reference to that.

Was I dreaming? :crazy:

oneofsix
14th June 2013, 20:20
I had this dream one night, in the dream I was looking at the NZTA website and it said that motorcycle riders on a L or R licence could take a passenger if they were a spouse or member of immediate family.
In the dream my wife was so keen on the idea she bought some nice 2nd hand gear to protect her lovely skin and bones in anticipation of:crazy: the day I had enough confidence and experience so that the two of us could take off on a Sunday afternoon for a leisurely ride and grab a sedate coffee before ambling back home again.

It must have been a dream because now I am definitely awake and when I look at the NZTA website I cant find any reference to that.

Don't push your luck scooter boy, you were dreaming. You've got a nice 650 on your L s don't expect me to feel sorry you can't get your Mrs on the back. :eek5: I had to put up with a GN250 until after I had my full (actually still fond of that old genie pity she dropped a valve)
I know even experience good riders that think twice about a pillion and most aren't in a hurry to give it a go when they first get their full.
You will have plenty of time to think about this but has your wife ever pilioned before? Has she/ does she ride but note even good riders don't always make good passengers. There are threads on taking people on your bike and the last I saw came with a youtube link to Roadcraft Nottingham clip on taking a passenger.

Looks like a nice day for a ride tomorrow, sure you can't make it? :corn:

Ulsterkiwi
14th June 2013, 20:30
Don't push your luck scooter boy, you were dreaming. You've got a nice 650 on your L s don't expect me to feel sorry you can't get your Mrs on the back. :eek5: I had to put up with a GN250 until after I had my full (actually still fond of that old genie pity she dropped a valve)
I know even experience good riders that think twice about a pillion and most aren't in a hurry to give it a go when they first get their full.
You will have plenty of time to think about this but has your wife ever pilioned before? Has she/ does she ride but note even good riders don't always make good passengers. There are threads on taking people on your bike and the last I saw came with a youtube link to Roadcraft Nottingham clip on taking a passenger.

Looks like a nice day for a ride tomorrow, sure you can't make it? :corn:

hmmm, thought so. Feel stupid for asking now. Its no biggie as I am really in no rush for her to be behind me, trust me!
Yes she has pillioned before. She has way more experience on bikes than me. Heres a funny one for you, it was her idea for me to get the bike! The query was simply out of curiosity and the gear was too much of a steal and fitted too well to pass it by. It will be there when I am ready.
Appreciate the response though.

I can do tomorrow but only if its the morning. I have to be back, home, showered and dressed and IN Wellington for 12.30. So back home at 12.27 then lol (more like 11) If that suits, brilliant, if not the road aint going anywhere :-)

Berries
14th June 2013, 20:37
Was I dreaming?
Yes. If you look at the restricted car licence bit they say this -

You cannot normally carry passengers, unless you have a supervisor with you. The only passengers you can carry without a supervisor are:

your spouse, or the person you live with as if you were married or with whom you are joined in a civil union
children who live with you and are under the care of you or your spouse (that is, you or your spouse are their parent or guardian
your parent or guardian
relatives who live with you and who are on a social security benefit
someone you look after as their primary caregiver.

For motorbikes it just says this -

Important - You must not carry a pillion passenger until you hold a full Class 6 motorcycle licence.

Not sure where it is writ but the words "must" and "cannot" suggest those quotes are based on actual rules rather than some of the shit in the road code. As said above though, if you are still learning to ride then sometimes it is best not complicate matters by adding a dead weight to the back of the bike.

oneofsix
14th June 2013, 20:47
hmmm, thought so. Feel stupid for asking now. Its no biggie as I am really in no rush for her to be behind me, trust me!
Yes she has pillioned before. She has way more experience on bikes than me. Heres a funny one for you, it was her idea for me to get the bike! The query was simply out of curiosity and the gear was too much of a steal and fitted too well to pass it by. It will be there when I am ready.

I can do tomorrow but only if its the morning. I have to be back, home, showered and dressed and IN Wellington for 12.30. So back home at 12.27 then lol (more like 11) If that suits, brilliant, if not the road aint going anywhere :-)

Tomorrow will be tight then. We have committed, DrD put an invite on the interwebs, to a leaving time of 11 and back at Murphys for lunch - darn., it would have been good to meet and ride. If you can juggle it 11am at FieldWay park Rutherford Dr, Waikanae beach.

Ulsterkiwi
14th June 2013, 20:54
Tomorrow will be tight then. We have committed, DrD put an invite on the interwebs, to a leaving time of 11 and back at Murphys for lunch - darn., it would have been good to meet and ride. If you can juggle it 11am at FieldWay park Rutherford Dr, Waikanae beach.

Thats down the street as well.....lol. Never mind will wave at you all as I drive past in my truck on the way to the big smoke ;) Have a good 'un and will get you next time.

Mom
14th June 2013, 20:56

I rode bikes for many years before my lovely man.

Take your time, get up your experience and confidence. Get legal and keep on riding. One day she will put you in a position that you have to pillion her somewhere.

It will be character building :yes: I moved around a bit on the back :eek5: he coped, I did not move with him as he cornered :scratch:

I gave him all the terrible things a pillion can deliver and he coped.

I have my own bike, but there are times that I really love snuggling up behind my man. These good things take time.

EDIT: I don't play like that anymore, I am a good pillion :innocent:

blackdog
14th June 2013, 21:06
Rules shmooles. Only an issue if you get caught but that would only be when?

Would be a prick of a cop to give you a ticket for just that. More likely you were pinged for speeding or at a checkpoint and were getting the riot act for being a prick, if the pillion charge was being added on.

Scummy, Mermaid et al, thoughts?

Berries
14th June 2013, 22:04
Rules shmooles. Only an issue if you get caught but that would only be when?
After you flip it due to more weight over the back wheel or after you miss the corner because you couldn't hold the same line and the brakes don't seem to work the same?

breakaway
14th June 2013, 22:47
After you flip it due to more weight over the back wheel or after you miss the corner because you couldn't hold the same line and the brakes don't seem to work the same?

Don't ride like a fucken twat the first few times with pillion on the back and you will be fine.

jellywrestler
14th June 2013, 23:05
Was I dreaming? :crazy: maybe, do you actually have a wife?

blackdog
14th June 2013, 23:42

Guess yer license status is the least of your worries at that point.

Ulsterkiwi
15th June 2013, 10:35
glad to see I have stimulated debate! ;)

have I actually got a wife? hmmmmmm, what would be the signs?.............

Berries
15th June 2013, 11:49
Ringing in the ears and an empty wallet.

unstuck
15th June 2013, 12:27
It may not of been a dream, lets work through it and see. Right, was there any sex going on in said dream?:blip:

Murray
15th June 2013, 15:15
Don't push your luck scooter boy, you were dreaming. don't expect me to feel sorry you can't get your Mrs on her back. :corn:

Fixed that for you

Ulsterkiwi
15th June 2013, 19:42
Ringing in the ears and an empty wallet.

yup, that sounds about right......

Ulsterkiwi
15th June 2013, 19:43
It may not of been a dream, lets work through it and see. Right, was there any sex going on in said dream?:blip:

yup, always, not worth dreaming otherwise......

Ulsterkiwi
15th June 2013, 19:44
Fixed that for you

appreciate that, always good to get things right.......

Ulsterkiwi
15th June 2013, 19:45

waved as promised, two guys looking engrossed in discussing bikes and stuff....was a beautiful morning so went for a spin to Levin and back first thing, hopefully will get to do it in company next time!

oneofsix
15th June 2013, 20:00
waved as promised, two guys looking engrossed in discussing bikes and stuff....was a beautiful morning so went for a spin to Levin and back first thing, hopefully will get to do it in company next time!

DrD thought that might have been you. Quite an interesting ride. Two others joined us and we are all keen to do it again so expect a PM about next weekend ;)

BoristheBiter
16th June 2013, 08:26

Why not get her her own bike, then you always have someone to ride with?

tristania
16th June 2013, 11:31
DrD thought that might have been you. Quite an interesting ride. Two others joined us and we are all keen to do it again so expect a PM about next weekend ;)

PM me too if girls are allowed! :yes: