PDA

View Full Version : Painting plastic?

Paul in NZ
17th June 2013, 07:49
The screen blade on the ST has a black edging painted or coated on the inside much like say a car windcreen often has a black coating on the edge to hide trim / fixings behind it.

Its bubbling and cracking and coming away and makes the whole show look a bit tatty..

So - asuming I'm a dab hand with a spray can can ordinary matt black spray can paint be used on the screen without it melting etc?

iYRe
17th June 2013, 10:21
I believe so.. I tested some on a bit of broken screen on the weekend..

leathel
17th June 2013, 10:33
yup it will spray on to it OK, Some Lacquer paints make the plastic brittle but not so sure about spray enamels

There are some plastic coat paints around and I am pretty sure you can get that in flat black :)

iYRe
17th June 2013, 10:40
yup it will spray on to it OK, Some Lacquer paints make the plastic brittle but not so sure about spray enamels

There are some plastic coat paints around and I am pretty sure you can get that in flat black :)

supercheap has plastic primer and matte black acrylic cans. I did my whole bike in that colour with them.

Paul in NZ
17th June 2013, 10:57
supercheap has plastic primer and matte black acrylic cans. I did my whole bike in that colour with them.

Plastic primer eh? Gawd - probably turn out cheaper to buy a new screen at this rate....

iYRe
17th June 2013, 11:02
Plastic primer eh? Gawd - probably turn out cheaper to buy a new screen at this rate....

I think it was 17$ per can.. 51$ for primer, top and clear..

edit: http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/online-store/products/Septone-Aerosol-Paint-Satin-Black-400g.aspx?pid=135421#Cross

hayd3n
17th June 2013, 11:05
id use a black vinyl thats how ive done mine before

Paul in NZ
17th June 2013, 11:43
id use a black vinyl thats how ive done mine before

Hmmm - thats an idea... how did you do that?

iYRe
17th June 2013, 11:44

get vinyl, cut to shape, stick to screen :P (You can get sticky backed vinyl)

hayd3n
17th June 2013, 11:53

same way i attached all the vinyl to my bike (profile pic)
with soapy water and a hair dryer , bought from your local sign writer, 3m is the best :)

Dadpole
17th June 2013, 12:03
I have used black car bumper paint from Mitre 10. Worked on my screen a treat.

Paul in NZ
17th June 2013, 12:11
get vinyl, cut to shape, stick to screen :P (You can get sticky backed vinyl)

Yeah that might not work as the area I want black is on the inside of the screen so you would see the sticky side....

hayd3n
17th June 2013, 12:55
Yeah that might not work as the area I want black is on the inside of the screen so you would see the sticky side....

still works a treat , it looks great i made my own clear screen and put the vinyl on the inside like you want

Vinz0r
22nd June 2013, 11:28
Plasti Dip.

Around $27 a can in New Zealand, it's an aerosol'd (sp?) rubber coat that you just spray on. It evens itself out over any clean surface so you don't have to be a master of the spraycan to get a nice finish.

Come's in matte black.

Paul in NZ
22nd June 2013, 14:19
Sounds ideal - where does one purchase this wonder of modern chemistry?

Vinz0r
22nd June 2013, 15:19
I picked mine up from Forlongs in Hamilton.
Here's a list of NZ stockists.

http://www.griffiths.co.nz/images2010/PlastiDip-Stockists.gif

Paul in NZ
22nd June 2013, 18:12
Thanks - just one in wellie - upper hutt m10.... of well - fancied a trip