PDA

View Full Version : Stuck clutch? 07 Ninja 250

Erelyes
21st June 2013, 20:37
Clutch problem, 07 Ninja 250. 1200 miles.
Bought off Turdme that got delivered (I know - perhaps lucky I didn't go to pick it up though!).

Check it over a bit, charge the battery (a bit low), check it's in neutral, start it up, clutch in, shift into first..... bike jars forward and engine dies instantly.
Kickstand's up.
Clutch cable's not snapped (lever moves).
Put in first with engine off, pulled clutch, try rolling bike forward, won't move.

Clutch lever had basically zero free play, but try adjusting it anyway. Still does it.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

Oddly, if I tighten the clutch play up a whole heap (so it's actually pre-loaded a bit), the bike can be 'dragged' forward/backward with a lot of engine resistance in first (whether the clutch is pulled or not).
After doing this I re-adjusted clutch to 'normal' play and it's locked again.

Is she a lemon :weep:

unstuck
21st June 2013, 20:55
Probably clutch plates stuck together, try pushing it in first or second gear a few times. If that wont free it then you will have to take off the side cover and manualy oil the plates. Must of been sitting for a while?? maybe resting on the clutch lever, if that happens it can squeeze all of the oil out of the plates and stick them together. Good luck.:Punk::Punk:

White trash
21st June 2013, 21:02
Clutch plates have seized through lack of use, no biggie.

Get the bike started and let it warm up properly. Get your gear on, sit astride the machine and paddle it forwards fast enough in neutral that you can drop it into first and ride off without stalling. Get her up into about 4th gear and ride around with the clutch lever pulled right in, try dragging the rear brake while giving it heaps of throttle with the lever pulled in. It'll free up eventually. Once it has go for a decent ride to get heaps of heat into the oil, use the clutch a lot and give it some slip. When you get home give her an oil change with some decent bike oil, be sound as a pound.

Akzle
22nd June 2013, 07:07
Clutch plates have seized through lack of use, no biggie.

Get the bike started and let it warm up properly. Get your gear on, sit astride the machine and paddle it forwards fast enough in neutral that you can drop it into first and ride off without stalling. Get her up into about 4th gear and ride around with the clutch lever pulled right in, try dragging the rear brake while giving it heaps of throttle with the lever pulled in. It'll free up eventually. Once it has go for a decent ride to get heaps of heat into the oil, use the clutch a lot and give it some slip. When you get home give her an oil change with some decent bike oil, be sound as a pound.

that sounds dangerous. Especially for a n00b.
Hell, i probably wouldnt and im a professional badass.

op, try rolling it in higher gear. It will turn the engine, so key off or you might end up going for a ride.
Best bet, buy new clutch pack.
Cheap bet, pull the old one apart and clean, check your springs, torq your shit and youre dandy.

ducatilover
22nd June 2013, 10:11
Go with Whitetrash's advice.
The only other thing to try that's basic is adjust the clutch at the engine end of the cable.

Drew
22nd June 2013, 11:02
I usually just put it in first gear with the motor off, pull the clutch in and rock the bike back and fourth violently.

Crasherfromwayback
22nd June 2013, 11:26
Front wheel against a wall. Start her up...rear brake on...stomp it into gear. Repeat. It'll break free within a coupla goes.

sketch
22nd June 2013, 11:49
Front wheel against a wall. Start her up...rear brake on...stomp it into gear. Repeat. It'll break free within a coupla goes.

thats sounds like the makings of a funny youtube video

Crasherfromwayback
22nd June 2013, 11:52
thats sounds like the makings of a funny youtube video

Nah. If you're standing on the rear brake and can't go anywhere...it's all good. GPX250's are notorious for it.

Jjgres
22nd June 2013, 13:48
I've tried the clutch in, run it around method. Sometimes it works. Probably not a good idea to give it full throttle and stomp on the rear brake. (Result: See above Yamaha transmission repair video)

Worst case pull the side cover and dismantle clutch, clean rust on steel plates.

Erelyes
22nd June 2013, 17:01
Thanks for the help. First posts were A++. I put it on its centrestand (old shape 250s have em), started, dropped into first, up to 4th, clutch in/throttle/rear brake worked a charm. All in the comfort of the garage.

Took it for a squiz around the block, now works.

Will give'r an oil and filter change ASAP to get rid of any crud that may have come off.

unstuck
22nd June 2013, 17:43
Thanks for the help. First posts were A++. I put it on its centrestand (old shape 250s have em), started, dropped into first, up to 4th, clutch in/throttle/rear brake worked a charm. All in the comfort of the garage.

Took it for a squiz around the block, now works.

Will give'r an oil and filter change ASAP to get rid of any crud that may have come off.

Good stuff, enjoy.:2thumbsup