PDA

View Full Version : VMC Clubmans newbie report RND5

GSVR
21st August 2005, 10:42
Thought I better do one of these.

Went across to Manfeild on the Friday for test day. Brillient day. Only 2 cars there and only about 10 bikes so had virtually unlimited tracktime.

Another SV650 rider was there and we are about the same pace so got in some good practice at riding at close quarters at race speed. Only problem was at about 2pm I got a hole in my radiator. Luckly it was at the end of a session so the engine didn't overheat. Loaded up the bike and went home to fix it. Had had plenty of practice by then.

Saturday (raceday) was another great day weatherwise. Will have to remind myself to get over there about 7.00am or so next time as I must have been one of the last to arrive. All the pit areas were pretty filled up. But I ended up getting a garage as Rob had it booked for the rest of the rounds and wasn't there.

At riders briefing the new safety measures were explained and a minutes sileence was observed in honor of Owen Brunton. Another nice touch was everyone had access to number 34 stickers to put on their bikes.

Practice was great 10 mins seemed like plenty of time after having tested the day before. Did something around 1.27 to qualify 11th on the grid. With the field in Clubmans theres always going to be a group on on larger bikes that I will never match and others on smaller or older bikes that will be slower so your looking a races within races and hopeing to improve your laptimes and consistancy.

First race was really enjoyable got off to a great start controlling the amount of wheelstanding and getting good position after the first corner. My pace was ok and had a real blast dicing with some girl on a GSXR600 and a CRF450 Mototard bike for most of the race. Finished 9th with the 600 leaving me behind towards the end but beating the Motard by a couple of seconds. Best lap was 1.2602. Still a long way to go to get to the 1.14s that Hayden Fitzgerarld does on an SV650.

Second race I was feeling relaxed and ready to put in some good laps. Think I got an even better start than the first one. Got past by the GSXR600 and the and RG500 (both Kiwibikers by the way) and they ended up finishing 9 secs ahead of me at the finish. My testday advantage was wearing off as others were now dialed in to the track. Had a incident on the last turn as I was pasting a backmarker I lost a bit of speed and a guy on a ZXR tried to overtake on the last corner. I felt a bit of a nudge and looked back to see this green bike. He was trying to jump in between me and the apex of the corner. Back in the pits looked at my exuast and lots of tyre marks and a bit of a scrape. Fortunately we both stayed upright.

Third race I was starting to feel a bit tired. I wasn't going to ride as hard as I wanted to finish my first full days racing. It was getting cooler and the sun was down to a point where I really needed a tinted visor on. Didn't get any places off the start and settled into a steady pace. Had a issue with my helmet fogging up a couple of times (heavy breather) and rather than lift it tried breathing gentler instead of lifting the visor. Ended up back of the pack and riding with a large gap to bikes ahead and behind. This race was halted on the 5th lap when a guy fell off coming onto the front straight. His bikes crankcase broke dropping oil and he required medical attention. Race results declared at 4 laps. My laptimes reflected my riding with best time of only 1.279.

Great to see the club rally and come back so well after such a bad day in the clubs history last round. And all the Kiwibikers and Clubmembers that helped out in the running of this meeting to make it such an good day.

Looking forward to Round 6 on the 24th September.

Racey Rider
21st August 2005, 15:33
Good effort Gary. Glad to hear you had a good day.

svs
21st August 2005, 15:42
good on you garry. Those are the same sort of times I was running in clubmans when I started. Now down to 1:20, next target is to get into the 1:19's only 0.6 of a second to go....

FROSTY
21st August 2005, 15:51
good report gary. It'll be interesting riding with you on september 4th--Ill be on 911

FROSTY
21st August 2005, 15:52
good on you garry. Those are the same sort of times I was running in clubmans when I started. Now down to 1:20, next target is to get into the 1:19's only 0.6 of a second to go....
OK the bar has been set -1.19 it is ol son :devil2:

GSVR
21st August 2005, 16:00
Thanks for the support guys.

I feel sorry for the problems you have been having Alex hope fortunes with your engine change for the last round.

Just started putting the road gear back on the bike. Was suffering withdrawl before this meeting as I had only riden the bike once since the last meeting.

Although they let a couple of racebike go last clubsport day I'm pretty sure you need to have WOF and rego to ride. Thats this weekend the 28th.

Two Smoker
21st August 2005, 18:08

Geez your getting faster and faster :niceone: Great to see you out there doing it Garry :niceone:

Two Smoker
21st August 2005, 18:11
OK the bar has been set -1.19 it is ol son :devil2:

1:18.772 With no dampening in the rear shock... hoping for at least 1:17's now, as ive gotten into the 1:08's at Puke... The new bar is set mate :niceone: hehehe

FROSTY
21st August 2005, 18:37
1.18 ohh theres a 1 in there --sorry I was doing that on the ol xj first time on the track :devil2:

Marknz
21st August 2005, 19:27
1.18 ohh theres a 1 in there --sorry I was doing that on the ol xj first time on the track :devil2:

:clap:

:tugger:

:drinkup:

So anyway, I want in on this Clubman racing... it looks bloody great and is a good way to get into the racing scene here in good ol' NZ.

But what do I do? Sell the 'Storm to buy a late model 600, keep the Storm and buy a late model 600, or race the Storm and use it as a road bike too?

And do you jafas have a clubman class up there too? And is the any Clubman racing in any of the street series?

Two Smoker
21st August 2005, 20:04
And do you jafas have a clubman class up there too? And is the any Clubman racing in any of the street series?Race the storm.... and yes there is Clubmans up at AMCC rounds....

FROSTY
22nd August 2005, 17:55
Mark
1 yes clubmans at all amcc rounds and PMCC rounds
Keep in mind though if you're in clubbie ya cant cross enter into another class
2 No Definitely no clubmans at national level--ie no clubbie for street racing.
3 To get a taste. race what you own No point in spendin hard earned cash when ya might hate the experience.
4 If you are gonna go racing I'd strongly suggest 125's for you
Its a relatively cheap class, You could hang a 125 off a towbar and most important for you --its the size/weight you are most experienced at racing.

Marknz
22nd August 2005, 18:33
Mark
1 yes clubmans at all amcc rounds and PMCC rounds
Keep in mind though if you're in clubbie ya cant cross enter into another class
2 No Definitely no clubmans at national level--ie no clubbie for street racing.
3 To get a taste. race what you own No point in spendin hard earned cash when ya might hate the experience.
4 If you are gonna go racing I'd strongly suggest 125's for you
Its a relatively cheap class, You could hang a 125 off a towbar and most important for you --its the size/weight you are most experienced at racing.

Thanks for the tips TS and Frosty.

1. Good.
2. Probably good for now
3. Hate the experience? I don't think so... it may have only been buckets but I know what it's like.
4. Wha? 125GPs are not even remotely cheap to run, especially when it comes to rebuilds after most meetings (and when you're an engineering numpty like me, but then I guess I'd learn over time). My 150 bucket racer was about 40% again the weight of a 125GP bike, and with my 90 something kg's onboard it's unlikely to be a very good ride. The suspension on those things is just not made for riders my size.

But your input is appreciated.
Cheers

Ivan
22nd August 2005, 18:56
4. Wha? 125GPs are not even remotely cheap to run, especially when it comes to rebuilds after most meetings

I have had a whole season with no troubles on my ex Jay Lawrence RS125 which is trick as Humpty Dumpty

Marknz
22nd August 2005, 19:07
4. Wha? 125GPs are not even remotely cheap to run, especially when it comes to rebuilds after most meetings

I have had a whole season with no troubles on my ex Jay Lawrence RS125 which is trick as Humpty Dumpty

Mmm, best I go find some humble pie then. How heavy are you Ivan?

Two Smoker
22nd August 2005, 21:00

Nick Cole is (or was) around 100kgs... and he knew how to make his 125GP move quick...

k14
23rd August 2005, 11:05
Yep guy in chch would be atleast 100kg and he smokes it up on his 125. If you know what you are doing then weight on an rs125 isn't a problem, although of course you are never going to be able to hang with the 50kg or less guys. I think that height is more of a disadvantage on an rs than weight, im 6 foot and my legs are still sore from racing on sat, lol.

Racey Rider
23rd August 2005, 12:40
Thanks for the support guys.
I feel sorry for the problems you have been having Alex hope fortunes with your engine change for the last round.

Thanks Garry. Here's my run down of my day.

We had another lovely day at Manfield on Saturday with some great racing.
It was also a nice thought to have small # 34 stickers provided to us all, to place on our bikes in memory of Owen Brunton, who died at the last round.

Unfortunately, once again, I only got one lap of practice in before seizing my motor.
(4 motor stuff ups in 5 rounds. Which I hope puts me in the running for the 'Worst Luck of the Series' Award! )

It happened for a different reason this time, as I fixed the Detonation problem by using 98 octane fuel.
I had been waiting on Gaskets to arrive from Thailand, which never turned up. So after putting new piston and rings in the motor for this round, I had to use old gaskets again, before giving the bike 50 kms of test running here in NP.

Things seemed to be ok, but after warming it up, the first hard charge down the front straight had the motor lock up with a partial seizure at the end of it. Very frustrating!
On pulling the motor apart, there had been no detonation happening, but I think the cause was my dodgy cylinder barrel.
The barrel had been damaged in the past by a sparkplug insulator falling on top of a high reviving piston. This scratched the barrel badly. I had been sanding the scratches down, and it had been working ok still till this last time, when I must of sanded one spot too much, creating an uneven spot which allowed too much blow-by past the rings. It seems this is what caused the problem.

So I have to face the fact now that this barrel is stuffed.
Options are to: Send this barrel overseas to get it replated. Just over $400 (Cannot rebore or re-sleeve these ones)
Buy another 16 000km motor from a wrecker in Nelson $500 + freight
Wait around and see if another cheap motor/ wrecked bike comes available closer to home.

As I'm unemployed at the moment, it would put my family in a hard spot to spend this money right now. Rather sad, when I think I have the riding potential to be in the top 3 with some decent praitice time :violin: . So may not be at the last round.

I have been learning a lot about my motor this year. Mistakes that hopfully won't be made again!

If you don't see me at next round,,, I will be back,, at some stage.
Will continue in streetstock class till I am good enough to win a race, (yes! it May happen one day!)
Then if money allowed, would look into 125's or F3.
Would like to put a KX500 motor in the KR frame for some F3 fun. :woohoo:

Cheers
Racey.

FROSTY
23rd August 2005, 18:42
keep in mind ol son --1 piston -1 set of rings 4 head studs
and most of the 125's will come with a shit load of spares.
You've seen the hassles with having a highly strung F3 bike. AKA-Mella Yella.
If you are semi serious about going raciing--snap up the VFR400 thats for sale in here throw a set of tyres at it and go have fun.
At the price its at you'll sell it easily if you move on to other types of racing.
-If ya wanna taste of F gimme a yell and Ill bring mella yella along on the 4th

Kickaha
23rd August 2005, 20:25
Thanks for the tips TS and Frosty.

4. Wha? 125GPs are not even remotely cheap to run, especially when it comes to rebuilds after most meetings (and when you're an engineering numpty like me, but then I guess I'd learn over time). My 150 bucket racer was about 40% again the weight of a 125GP bike, and with my 90 something kg's onboard it's unlikely to be a very good ride. The suspension on those things is just not made for riders my size.
But your input is appreciated.
Cheers

125GP is nowhere as expensive as most people think at a club level, they don't need a rebuild after each meeting and it's not uncommon to do several club meetings without touching them

Running at the Nationals and wanting to be competitive is a whole different story though, although most 125 riders I knew spent more on tyres than rebuilds