PDA

View Full Version : King of Levels Rd 2 writeup

Kickaha
21st August 2005, 10:54
King of Levels Rd 2

After last weeks little disaster :mad: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14093 it was looking doubtful I’d make Rd2 so the week went something like this

Sunday night, Have a big Sulk :no:
Monday, Pull motor from frame and drop the head off to be repaired
Tuesday, Strip motor
Wednesday, Clean all the crap out of it
Thursday, Reassemble up to the cylinder head
Friday, Pick up the head, reassemble head and put the motor back in the frame, load the bike and all the gear ready to go

So Saturday morning without having even fired the Motor up I was up at 5.30 and having a bite to eat, in the ute and off to pick up Nipper as he was hitching a ride down with us, unfortunately he was unable to ride as he still didn’t have a clearance after breaking his collarbone when he crashed his 150 at Ruapuna, we stop off at Dangerous place and pick his bike up and head South with Dangerous and Rashika following, at Rolleston I indicate and pull out to pass a car at the passing lane only to have him indicate and pull out straight in front of me, we get passed and pull back in and next minute some dodgy “Dangerous” guy goes flying past at about 140kmh; it’s looking like the racing has already started

We stop off for gas and snacks and further down the road Dangerous pulls out and passes me and next sec I get a text and I quote “Sorry that’s the last time I look at the back of ya bike 2day” well that was going to come back to bite him on the arse by the end of the day :slap:

We arrive at the track do scrutineering, sign in etc and then I finally try the bike to see if it’ll go, a few steps drop the clutch and it fires up nearly straight away so I know I’ll be doing more than just watching today, we roll up for practice and head out onto the track, I’ve got a bit of a miss around the 10,000rpm mark but it’s going ok but as I follow Dangerous down the straight he’s pulling away and I can fell the bike getting slower, I limp back to the pits thinking “that’s another one fucked” and notice smoke off the rear brake, trying to push it in neutral I find the rear caliper locked on, a few secs with the spanners and it’s all fixed, in the meantime K14 has run out of gas and is pushing his bike back :weird:

Race 1

They decide the buckets will go off the back of the 150/street stock grid rather than the first come first served from the last round, so we line up, K14 in a fit of incompetence leave his bike in neutral on the line so he doesn’t get a very good start at all but by lap2 he’s pulling out and passing me down the straight and then I take him back at the hairpin, we trade place for a few laps while Dangerous drops further behind each lap, K14 is in front as we come up behind some of the 150’s and I take the lot of them down into the hairpin with K14 right behind, as we hit the straight Pete Jones fly’s past waving at us and we can’t work out what we’ve done wrong (as it turns out we passed under a yellow) K14 gets some of the 150’s in between us on the last lap into the hairpin and leads me across for the flag by a couple of bike lengths

Back in the pits and Dangerous is stripping the carb’s as he’s blaming mechanical problems for his poor showing rather than Rider incompetence which is the real problem, I decide to change to a different carb to see if it affects the top end miss and it turns out to be a good choice

Race 2

We launch off the line and as we hit the straight K14 pulls out and passes me, I follow him off the straight and expecting me to try a pass up the inside he covers the inside line into the next left so I ride around the outside instead, he pulls an outside pass around turn one and leads me on to the straight again we swap positions each lap and as he leads me onto the straight with a lap left I’m slowly gaining on him when he runs out of gas again and gives me a easy 2nd behind Cotton, ah yeah as for Dangerous well he got lapped AGAIN and was nowhere to be seen :bleh:

Race 3

K14 and Dangerous both beat me off the line as I do one of my traditional crap starts and Cotton decides to slow down and have a play with us for a bit, I slip up the inside of K14 into the decreasing radius and he comes back at me off the front straight and Cotton is passing us and dropping back on each lap, lap 2 and I notice a brake torque arm lying on the track off the end of the straight which it turns out later has fallen off K14’s bike, it turns out later K14 also had a big “moment” at the hairpin when he dug a foot peg in and had a front end slide, I get into the K14’s draft down the straight and as we go off the end we’re three wide and I go around the outside of both of them and as we come across the line the red flag is out and the race is over and we ride slowly back to the pits, yeah and Dangerous got lapped AGAIN :lol:

Diesel pig killed his bucket last weekend but he’s running his Pre82 Black Betty (CBX550) in clubman’s and as the bikes are riding out onto the track he’s still pissing about in the pits getting his gear on, but he redeems himself with a good ride and a third place

Race 4

Points races over and it’s into the handicap races, and as Dangerous and K14 are both definitely handicapped they go off the front with me there to look after them
Dangerous leads off the line and into turn 1, I nail him down the straight and lead for the lap and he passes me into turn 1 again, Dangerous has decided to totally ignore the redline on his bike in this race and shows a good turn of speed even getting out the front from time to time, I carry more speed through turn 2 and get on the gas earlier and pass him down the straight again with Cotton alongside as well to make us three wide, Dangerous tries coming underneath me into the hairpin and I shut him out but he gets me into turn 1 again so I draft him down the straight and pass him again, we trade places each lap with Cotton instead of buggering off slowing down to play with us, he passes me around the outside at the hairpin then slows to let me pass and cocks it up as it’s the last lap and I take my first win for the day, K14 has gone off form and is nowhere to be seen in this one
I notice a bit of oil on the side of the bike and find a seal missing off the bike so my day is over and I’m feeling a bit happier with the result from this round

Roll on Rd3 :niceone:

Some Vids here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=15927 courtesy of Bren_chch, what a top bloke

dangerous
21st August 2005, 11:39
Awesome day again.... and have some wicked pics on there way stay tuned.

Well as I fitted a tacho up due to blowing the last engine up at Levels I figger I'd best keep it out of the red..... but this along with bit of a miss slowed me down something bad.
Well bugger it with clean carbs and the idea to use the last 2000rpm including the red zone I pulled finger out and had a sweet battle with kickaha, k14 and Cotton, man it is a weird felling 3 a breast down the straight with a bike each side eye balling and winking at the other two... felt like we wernt moving, damn there was a couple a wicked races often with my frount wheel beetween a nother bikes rear wheel and pipe... shit we were in close format :woohoo:

After points races were over K14 gave me his RS125 for a spin.... damn what a awesome bike, but loud christ sakes it gave me sore ears.
My lunch wasent the best and it took a few laps to get the feel of it but with knee down all the way in the last couple a laps I was getting the hang of it but still have a lot to learn on that sort a bike.
When the RS comes on song the push is a real rush but under 9 grand its slower than the bucket :ride: cheers man :Punk:

Kickaha
21st August 2005, 11:42
My lunch wasent the best

Yeah? what'd you have ? pie and coke? :killingme

Rashika
21st August 2005, 20:08
Okay the pics of Saturday at Levels coming thru to you all.

pic 1:damn it was early...beaut sunrise tho

pic 2: K14 getting ready for the warmup

pic 3: Dangerous and Kickaha, saddling up

pic 4: one of the many attempts (and there were a few!) trying to get Mikes XR630 to start

Rashika
21st August 2005, 20:26
...and then into the racing...

pic 1: Kickaha and dangerous...zooming past right in front

pic2: kickaha on his own

pic 3: on the start grid...wait for it...

pic 4: K14 missing the start because... :Oops: it wasn't in gear?!!

pic 5: K14 on his RS

Rashika
21st August 2005, 20:36
and some more...

pic 1: K14 in front of Dangerous

pic 2: Dangerous in front of K14

Pic 4: at the decreasing radius corner...first Kickaha

pic 5: then K14...

Pic 6: then Dangerous

pic 3: Kickaha, K14 and Dangerous...all the boys together!

Rashika
21st August 2005, 20:42
...a little interlude...

pic 1: Joni (our dorkland visitor) and Kickaha

pic 2: Joni admiring new bling in the form of shiny camcover

pic 3: for the girls, bums up :Punk:

pic 4: Joni, Kickaha and BrenChch playing at spectators

Rashika
21st August 2005, 20:58
...back to the racing...

pic 1: slow K14, trying to catch them

pic 2: Dangerous aiming for 1st place

pic 3: Dangerous missing again and wanting to kick Kickaha's arse

pic 4: more bums :woohoo: (I is a girly after all)

pic 5: Dangerous finally gets 1/2 wheel lead...

pic 6: ...but not for long

Rashika
21st August 2005, 21:07
and some solo pics of the clubman/F3

pic1: K14 on the bucket

pic 2: K14 on the RS

pic 3: Dangerous on the RS

pic 4:...and with his knee down :woohoo:

pic 5: Cotton on the XR

pic 6: Mike on the XR

Rashika
21st August 2005, 21:15
and the lucky last...a few miscellanious piccies, finshing up the day with some 'Dangerous' antics

pic 1: diesel pig with a serious lean on

pic 2: diesel pig in winning form on Black Betty the CBX 550

pic 3: Dangerous leads....finally stops teasing Kickaha and shows him what a Honda can do by taking him out

pic 4: K14 pushing hard on the bog

pic 5: Dangerous wheelie

pic 6: yep think the front brake works!

...and thats all folks! ye-bloody-ha!

Bren_chch
21st August 2005, 21:25
excellent pictures, thank for that, enjoy viewing them!!

dangerous
22nd August 2005, 06:50
pic 3: Dangerous leads....finally stops teasing Kickaha and shows him what a Honda can do by taking him out

YEAHHHHHHHHHHH................... suck on that 'Roger' :motu:

TonyB
22nd August 2005, 08:00
Great pics Rashika- you have a real talent for taking pics! Just need a longer lens eh. Anyway, well done, they look great :clap:

Rashika
22nd August 2005, 08:44
Great pics Rashika- you have a real talent for taking pics! Just need a longer lens eh. Anyway, well done, they look great :clap:

Nah just need to get closer!! :devil2:

ok so maybe a longer lens would be a safer option, esp with these guys!

k14
22nd August 2005, 11:15
Well, the day started abnormally warm (14 at 6am) and I was off at quarter to seven to pick up bren and then off to levels. We pulled up at levels to the start of a beautiful day, perfect for racing, just hot enough to get optimum track conditions but not hot enough to fry us in our race gear. I unloaded the van and then got both bikes through scrutineering.

Kickaha has already commented on the buckets so I will just comment on me riding the RS in F3.

First practice rolled up and I was at the dummy grid waiting to go out. I looked down to see that my left footpeg was starting to fall off (happened before, the bolt vibrates out of the thread). So I quickly turned around and went back to the van to quickly fix it. Managed to only miss about 2 or 3 laps of practice and got out to get into the rhythm. Felt good, still getting back into things after my broken wrist and I was happy with how things were going.

After the first bucket race I had the first F3 race. I wasn't too pushy in getting up towards the front of the dummy grid so after the warmup lap I was on the 2nd to last row, no worries. After getting the usual thrashing off the line I was away, passed 2 or 3 guys in the first series of corners and was onto the back straight. Was going well and felt good keeping up with a group of a couple bikes infront (2 400's and an SV650). I was slowly gaining around 0.5 or so of a second a lap on them and was using the cornering advantage of the RS to good effect, always loosing a bit in the straights but making up and then a bit more in the corners. I keep things tidy and picked off 2 of the guys in front, not quite being able to get the last guy. I'm not sure what my placing was but must have been around 14 or so out of probably 25 guys.

The second race came around and I was feeling alot more confident for this one. Again I was swamped at the start after starting in a similar position to the first race. This time I made sure I braked later into the first corner to gain back 2 or 3 positions. Then on the next corner I went round the outside of another guy in pursuit of the same 3 guys as in the previous race. Was keeping in touch of them and then on the 3rd lap the guy directly infront of me (on an SV650) braked a little late and ran off onto the grass at the end of the straight (probably doing 150ish, he managed to keep it up though), 1 down 2 to go. I was keeping with these guys and knew my strong point was between the hairpin, through the esses to the first corner, but I just didn't quite have the balls to pass into the esses, its a pretty hard place to pass and I couldn't quite pull it off. I kept behind the guys and managed to pass one of the 400's on the 2nd to last lap (pretty sure it was a CBR400). Again I finished around 14th or 15th (I guess, not 100% sure). After the race I found out I managed a 1:19 which is my fastest lap timed round there and was happy with that but knew I could get atleast 1 second faster.

Next race was the final points race of the day, the 8 lapper. Again after a slow start compared to the 4 strokes I got into a good rythm. I could see the 2 400's infront of me again and just kept chipping away lap after lap trying to be consistent. I passed one guy on the 3rd or 4th lap and by now the other 400 had stretched a bit of a gap. I kept chipping away and got a run on through the esses (just as the white flag came out to signal the last lap) and passed the 400 down the inside into the first corner. He was pretty close behind a supermotard who I hadn't yet came across today and I tried to go round the outside of him onto the straight. I didn't quite make it but this gave me a good entrance run onto the back straight. I knew he would be braking alot earlier than me and I capatalised on this managing to slip down the outside of him into the fast 3rd gear left hander. I knew I was now into the strongest section of the track for me and they wouldn't have a chance of passing me as long as I didn't make any mistakes. I held it together for what was my best finish of the day, again not 100% sure on the placing but I reckon about 11th or 12th. I was pretty happy with that and knew that I must have gone faster in this race, but I didn't have proof cause no one timed me, oh well there's always a next time for that.

All in all it was a mint day, on reflection I could take out alot of positives. No one passed me at all on the RS through all 3 races. Also I managed to keep it together for a mistake free day on it. Next time I think I can get into the top ten if I'm a bit more agressive on the warmup lap and get on the front 2 rows. Thanks to bren for the company down and help in the pits, also to dangerous and kickaha for being pain's in the arses and other stuff :motu: . Also big thanks to rashika for those awesome pics, kool stuf :Punk:

Next race meeting is at ruapuna in 3 weeks (sept 10th) and then the following sat (sept 17th) is the final round of king of levels, looking for some better results.

Rashika
22nd August 2005, 12:01
Thanks to bren for the company down and help in the pits, also to dangerous and kickaha for being pain's in the arses and other stuff :motu: . Also big thanks to rashika for those awesome pics, kool stuf :Punk:

Next race meeting is at ruapuna in 3 weeks (sept 10th) and then the following sat (sept 17th) is the final round of king of levels, looking for some better results.

you're welcome K14...and ya did do well esp in that last race...just inching up on those guys each lap, and finally getting each one .. your finish was excellant...roll on the next lot of racing :Punk:

Joni
22nd August 2005, 16:59
Slightly late reply... no reflection on the day.

Was a great days racing, I enjoyed it thoroughly. I will be honest and say quite a few of the guys surprised me with the skill level they showed, Kickaha, Dangerous and K14 all did well... Diesel Pig, much respect mate, you made Black Betty boogie in a way I never thought she could! :ride:

However Dangerous, Im still waiting for the tight competition you promised... I think its safe to say Kickaha kicked your arse a tad on the day. Maybe next time aye? :whistle:

Over all a very good day.

Thanks to everyone!

dangerous
22nd August 2005, 17:55
However Dangerous, Im still waiting for the tight competition you promised... I think its safe to say Kickaha kicked your arse a tad on the day. Maybe next time aye? :whistle:

No.. I wouldent say that, once I got my shit together Kick and I were trading places in the last 2 races several times in a race.... the last race I finished with my frount wheel beside his rear wheel.... bloody good going I reckon :ride:

dont forget round 5 bears is the '11th sept'

diesel pig
22nd August 2005, 18:04
Diesel Pig, much respect mate, you made Black Betty boogie in a way I never thought she could! :ride:

Thankha kindly Joni and Rashika Great pics next time we will get you a yellow bib so you can get out on the track for some close up action shots "whites of the eyes" so to speak :clap:

Rashika
22nd August 2005, 18:16
[QUOTE=Joni] Diesel Pig, much respect mate, you made Black Betty boogie in a way I never thought she could! :ride:

Thankha kindly Joni and Rashika Great pics next time we will get you a yellow bib so you can get out on the track for some close up action shots "whites of the eyes" so to speak :clap:

yeah I did borrow D's jacket and got out on the track (bit scary at first...but I'm getting more accustomed to it now) but only for a couple of races, not your one unfortunately...esp not that one you did so damn well in!

But i do have big versions of those ones plus a couple more of ya too i think, (at least D has a copy on cd)...the ones on the web are made low quality so you all can load em up easily. Most of the pics will print out at about a3 size, or a little smaller if they need cropping.

nipper
22nd August 2005, 18:40
[QUOTE=Kickaha]King of Levels Rd 2
So Saturday morning without having even fired the Motor up I was up at 5.30 and having a bite to eat, in the ute and off to pick up Nipper as he was hitching a ride down with us, unfortunately he was unable to ride as he still didn’t have a clearance after breaking his collarbone when he crashed his 150 at Ruapuna,

thanks for the ride kickaha it was a good day i will race you at the next round at ruapuana as i now can race

Joni
22nd August 2005, 18:45
i will race you at the next round at ruapuana as i now can raceGlad to hear you got the "all clear" today...

Kickaha
22nd August 2005, 18:48

YEAHHHHHHHHHHH................... suck on that 'Roger' :motu:

Pity that it's after the race has finished and that's coming through the shortcut to go back to the pits :lol: :bleh:

diesel pig
22nd August 2005, 22:03
Kickaha, Dangerous will swop your ass after he gives his Bucket a lot of love(eg money)Batchelor equipe will furnish Dangerous a high output twin to destroy any hope of beating him further :devil2:

P.S. TonyB what about those pistons aye? :wait:

dangerous
23rd August 2005, 18:38
Kickaha, Dangerous will swop your ass after he gives his Bucket a lot of love(eg money)Batchelor equipe will furnish Dangerous a high output twin to destroy any hope of beating him further :devil2:

Bring it on :woohoo:

TonyB
23rd August 2005, 18:59

I sent you a PM a week or so ago- did you get it?

Kickaha
23rd August 2005, 20:14

Yeah cause CB125T don't break down, errrr aprt from dropping valves like Dangerous did and loosing valve clearance when Batchelor equipe didn't do the tappet locknuts up properly

And wasn't it Batchelor equipe who didn't do K14 brake torque arm up properly so it fell off at levels

And wasn't it the Batchelor equipe very own Diesel Pig CB125T that had a nut fall off that stopped both rev counter and oil pump working meaning yet another rebuild

Batchelor equipe prepared bikes?, I'm running scared already :finger:

gav
24th August 2005, 19:51
LOL, so whats the story using XR bits then?

dangerous
24th August 2005, 19:54
LOL, so whats the story using XR bits then?
XR 80 pistons bring the cc up to 150.... but the pistons finish up 2mm above deck hight, so some machining needs to be done..... tricky shit :woohoo:

gav
24th August 2005, 20:25
yeahbut, nobut (LOL, anyone else watch Little Britain?)
Isnt an XR80 a competition bike? :sherlock:

diesel pig
25th August 2005, 17:29
yeahbut, nobut (LOL, anyone else watch Little Britain?)
Isnt an XR80 a competition bike? :sherlock:

Pistons are open so are carbs,ignitions and cams. As for XR's being competition machines none of the XR's I have ridden were remotly good enough to be race bikes :rofl:

Bert
27th August 2005, 11:19
Pistons are open so are carbs,ignitions and cams. As for XR's being competition machines none of the XR's I have ridden were remotly good enough to be race bikes :rofl:

I've noticed that there has been quite alot of comments made about pistons, have the rules been changed ? can we use any pistons we can find (as long as we stay within the required cc's) - I've been away from buckets for nearly 10 years but back then you couldn't use any pistons from a race derived bike. :scratch:

Kickaha
27th August 2005, 15:56
I've noticed that there has been quite alot of comments made about pistons, have the rules been changed ? can we use any pistons we can find (as long as we stay within the required cc's) - I've been away from buckets for nearly 10 years but back then you couldn't use any pistons from a race derived bike. :scratch:

MNZ rule 24-2-4
There shall be no restriction on the make, type or design of carburettor, ignition, exhaust, piston, cam, valve springs, or cooling system, except for class eligibility

dangerous
27th August 2005, 17:24
MNZ rule 24-2-4

Ya know it all prick :nya:

gav
27th August 2005, 19:00
MNZ rule 24-2-4
There shall be no restriction on the make, type or design of carburettor, ignition, exhaust, piston, cam, valve springs, or cooling system, except for class eligibility

except for class eligibilty huh????? so whats the class eligibilty for buckets, then??
err, OK then, maybe its this.

"Engines must be derived from non-competition
motorcycles. Motocross, Road Racing, Enduro and
Go Kart motors and transmission parts are not
permitted. There shall be no restriction on the make,
type or design of carburettor, ignition, exhaust,
piston, cam, valve springs or cooling system except
for class eligibility. All engines must be normally
aspirated except F4 4 stroke engines of less than
100cc capacity, which may be turbo or supercharged.
F4 2 stroke engines over 104cc are restricted to
carburation equivalent to a single 24mm carburettor,
F5 4 stroke engines over 53cc are restricted to
carburation equivalent to a single 20mm carburettor."

So what determines if a engine is a non-competition motorcycle?
If an XR200 or CRF150 is sold as a farm bike, does this make it eligible? I can recall farmers (20 years ago) buying CR125's as they were then exept sales tax, and advertised as such, is it a farm bike or a competition bike? If the bike has never been raced it it still a competition bike? And therefore is a bucket bike a competition bike? It must as there are MNZ rules for bucket racing........and therefore the engine must be deemed a competion engine and technically illegal?

diesel pig
27th August 2005, 19:39
Don't get smart Gav

Kickaha
27th August 2005, 20:50
except for class eligibilty huh????? so whats the class eligibilty for buckets, then??
err, OK then, maybe its this.

So what determines if a engine is a non-competition motorcycle?
If an XR200 or CRF150 is sold as a farm bike, does this make it eligible? I can recall farmers (20 years ago) buying CR125's as they were then exept sales tax, and advertised as such, is it a farm bike or a competition bike? If the bike has never been raced it it still a competition bike? And therefore is a bucket bike a competition bike? It must as there are MNZ rules for bucket racing........and therefore the engine must be deemed a competion engine and technically illegal?

Stop trying to be difficult and get your fat arse on a bucket so we can give it a kicking :finger:

Bert
28th August 2005, 09:26
MNZ rule 24-2-4

As long as the motor is a non race motor (ie tf100), i can do what i want with pistions, exhaust and carby (as long as I'm with in the CC's). :clap:
How things have changed !

gav
28th August 2005, 23:00
Yip, so you can basically build an RM100 out of a TF100, just cant use the RM transmission.
J/K with you guys, but why not allow say 10 year old 80cc MX bikes? Future rule change maybe?

Kickaha
29th August 2005, 06:54
Yip, so you can basically build an RM100 out of a TF100, just cant use the RM transmission.
J/K with you guys, but why not allow say 10 year old 80cc MX bikes? Future rule change maybe?

You can't use the barrel or head either to build your TF/RM