PDA

View Full Version : GPS Speedo?

Erelyes
24th June 2013, 19:28
Just got another bike (07 ninja 250) and being a yank bike, speedo is in mph. It does have kph of sorts on the speedo... except it's nigh-on unreadable.

I could learn the mph equivs (50=31 and 100=62) but rather just have a nice familiar number in front of me.

Anyone know of a cheap-ish GPS that incorporates a large display, and also has a permanent switchable backlight + clock? That's also waterproof and can be hooked up to a less-than-solid 12v power source such as that found on a bike?

Not too much to ask I reckon... :killingme

blackdog
24th June 2013, 19:36
Three small marks on the glass. 50,70 and 100 kph.

Use your missuses nail polish if you have to. Then again, I imagine you have your own.

skippa1
24th June 2013, 19:49

Use your missuses nail polish if you have to. Then again, I imagine you have your own.
That doesn't cover off 30 and 90 and everything else in between that they use these days. ......been there marking it on the speedo, pain in the arse

Erelyes
24th June 2013, 19:50

Already used nail polish remover to remove the 'break-in warning' sticker crud off the tacho, daahling.

blackdog
24th June 2013, 20:01
That doesn't cover off 30 and 90 and everything else in between that they use these days. ......been there marking it on the speedo, pain in the arse

Already used nail polish remover to remove the 'break-in warning' sticker crud off the tacho, daahling.

Maybe ladies, my point was if you really can't calculate well enough to be under the designated speed limit when it applies...

But if the thread is really about getting a GPS? Then fuck yeah. They even show you how to get places and shit.

skippa1
24th June 2013, 21:10
Maybe ladies, my point was if you really can't calculate well enough to be under the designated speed limit when it applies...

But if the thread is really about getting a GPS? Then fuck yeah. They even show you how to get places and shit.

I thought he asked about a GPS not your opinion on makeup or lessons on metric/imperial conversion?

blackdog
24th June 2013, 21:45
I thought he asked about a GPS not your opinion on makeup or lessons on metric/imperial conversion?

You bring out the troll in me. You ain't adding anything about GPS either.

Don't smudge your mascara crying now.

BMWST?
24th June 2013, 21:58
get a bicycle speedo make sure it goes up to the speed you want,you can adjust it to suit the actual circumference of your wheel so will be very accurate too,they all have clocks most have multiple odos,i think most have switchable backlights,and all are self powered,some have cables some are wireless

skippa1
24th June 2013, 22:31
You bring out the troll in me. You ain't adding anything about GPS either.

Don't smudge your mascara crying now.
Funny aye, you don't evoke any emotion for me.

Rhubarb
24th June 2013, 22:38
This is all I use..................

http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-photography/gps/automotive/auction-606178002.htm
Not this exact one but one very similar and just as cheap.

It's cheap so if it craps out in 6 months it costs very little to replace (at this price I carry a spare GPS in the pannier)
The updated maps cost more than a new GPS unit with the updated maps installed!!

You can select what to display on the screen e.g. time. speed, distance etc.

I also bought a cheap GPS holder but it was difficult to get the unit in and out, and the touch screen didn't work very well through the clear window.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/mobile-phones/accessories/car-mounts-holders/auction-606578472.htm
The sun and other lights reflect off the clear window which made it hard to see the screen.

I used the bar mount from the GPS holder to fit the GPS's standard mount to the bike (I only had to file out two slots - 5 minutes work).

Mine mounts behind a windscreen but if it's raining I just put the GPS in a small zip-lock plastic bag. It's waterproof, it's thin enough that the GPS will still clip into the original bracket and the touch screen can easily be seen and operated through the bag.

I only use the plastic bag once. The GPS is a very nice tight fit in the bag. They only cost about $5 for 50 at Warehouse Stationary.

I spent a lot of time researching GPS units, mounts and waterproof holders. The sky seems to be the limit in terms of price for motorcycle GPS units.

My set up was a temporary solution that I did the night before the 2012 TT2000.
12,000+km later and it is still working perfectly.

GPS $57.00 (Trade Me - incl freight)
Holder/mount $23.50 (Trade Me - incl freight)
Plastic bags $5.00 (for 50)
12V socket $9.99 (Supercheap)
Socket mount $0.00 (I made it)
Wiring $0.00 (I did it)

This is on my Boulevard so it is mainly tar seal roads and light gravel. I don't think the GPS would stay in the clip mount if your doing off-road treks.

I hope this helps.

DrunkenMistake
24th June 2013, 22:40
If you have an android phone there is a few apps that use GPS to show your speed etc, can be a wee bit sketchy at high speed but would be ok for commuting, you can use them offline so long as your gps is enabled,
Then all you need is a waterproof case, would be a lot cheaper than a GPS or GPS speedo

caspernz
25th June 2013, 13:09
Here's an option I've used before. Stands up to wild Wellington weather even...

www.digital-speedos.co.uk/ds100-gps-micro-speedometer-259-p.asp

ZondaX15
25th June 2013, 20:37
Considered using a bicycle speedo?

Rhubarb
26th June 2013, 09:46
Considered using a bicycle speedo?

That's what I put on my sons TTR. It works a treat
http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/6CCUCNNV7/title/cateye-cc-vl520-velo-7-wired-cycle-computer

BMWST?
26th June 2013, 13:38
That's what I put on my sons TTR. It works a treat
http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/6CCUCNNV7/title/cateye-cc-vl520-velo-7-wired-cycle-computer

No backlight so not much good at night and can you set your own wheel circumference!

sent from the tag

Rhubarb
26th June 2013, 16:47
No backlight

Fair point
My son doesn't ride the TTR at night so it's not a problem we've encountered but you are right it would not be any good for night riding.

It does come with instructions showing how to set the correct wheel diameter.

Maybe something like this.............
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Type-LCD-Backlight-Bike-Bicycle-Computer-Odometer-Speedometer-SD558A-Clock-/280831870802