PDA

View Full Version : Bike spares and Motorcycle importation taxes ?

troymclee
3rd July 2013, 02:30
Hi guys i just arrived in auckland,
could some one tell me about the tax and duty and extras i have to pay for a motorcycle
example yamaha r1 ,should it have a deregistration form ?
If im also importing all necessary spares for my bike how would the tax be .
thank you :)

White trash
3rd July 2013, 07:02
If you wish to register your R1 for use on New Zealand roads, it absolutely MUST have original de-reg papers from country of origin. If you don't have these, your bike is worthless scrap.

With regards to duties and taxes, New Zealand Customs are the people to talk to and will give far more reliable advice than a biker forum of "experts".

These are both answers to questions that really should be asked and solutions found well before shipping anything.

motogpwerks Chris
3rd July 2013, 10:46
You do need a title from the orgin (country) where last regt.
Also make sure the crate is legal if made from wood with a cert explaining the wood is treated or just use a used motorcycle steel crate.
You might have problems also if the bike has aftermarket exhaust or even Non DOt approved brake lines as the bike still needs to comply with the local inspection .If you stay in N.Z is short due to VISA requirments then the GST Tax can be claimed back when the bike is returing to its orgin's.
Best is to deal with Main frieght in Auckland and if the bike is coiming from the states then Kiwi shipping long beach (owned by main frieght).