PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on a SG350

SuperDave
21st August 2005, 20:04
Came across one of these when looking through ads on trademe.
I really like the look of them but would like to know what others think of it as a possible upgrade of my FXR?

I see that the SG has upside down forks so was also curious as to what those who have ridden on one think of its handling? I don't need to be able to go over 200kph in a straight line, but would like a bike with a bit more power than my current 150 but can still be fast in the tight twisties.

I would get a 250cc inline four, but they are so overpriced and I'd rather get something like the SG that will be cheaper and no older than 5 years - unlike a CBR or ZXR.

James Deuce
21st August 2005, 20:34
They are a fantastic bike. But you have to be completely happy with what they are. It's no powerhouse, but you'll notice the difference from the FXR. I think it is a seriously good idea to upgrade slowly through a range of bikes and this particular move would be a good.

You may get dissatisfied with the lack of power fairly quickly though. I found the handling superb; neutral, flickable, and tons of feedback through the seat and 'bars. Take on for a ride. Then take a CBR or ZXR for a ride and see which one you think you could live with for a while.

bane
21st August 2005, 20:46
Had a ride on one about 18 months ago - quite keen as had a DR350 (same engine).

I was expecting it to feel real torquey (especially coming off the FXR!). However, assume due to gearing, felt a bit hamstrung - not helped I suspect by a tall 1st gear. In its defence, it only had 300km on the clock...

Was surprised by the rather "sporting" riding position which put a lot of weight on the wrists.

Love the way it handled - really flickable and good fun.

Overall, didnt think it would make a great commuter, due to riding position and exposure to the elements. But as something fun and different (and reliable and cheap), worth a go.

btw, have heard that these will easily do 20+ km/L

SpankMe
21st August 2005, 21:46
Love the Goose. Check here. (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=137)

Excellent bike if you want to stay small. But then I biased towards thumpers.

SuperDave
21st August 2005, 22:00
From what I've heard so far this bike seems perfect both in price and in quality. As far as power goes, being able to lift the front at 120kph in 4th! Holy shit, thats enough power for my 2nd bike I think.

Grumpy
21st August 2005, 22:01
Used to get one of these as a loner from Colemans quite regulary a couple of years back. Fantastic bike. I'd recommend trying to get a ride on one first as they are quite small. If you are a big fella you might find it a little cramped. A hell of a lot of fun though.

SuperDave
21st August 2005, 22:08
Used to get one of these as a loner from Colemans quite regulary a couple of years back. Fantastic bike. I'd recommend trying to get a ride on one first as they are quite small. If you are a big fella you might find it a little cramped. A hell of a lot of fun though.

I'm on an FXR at the moment, and as far as size goes I have no complaint. A bike only slightly bigger with better handling and a bit more power would be awesome. I am not interested in jumping straight onto a 600 once I get my full unlike many others.

Beemer
21st August 2005, 23:36
I bought a new one of these a few months ago and I LOVE it! I went from a Suzuki RG150 to a BMW F650CS and now have the BMW on the market. My husband had tried a Goose a few years back and raved about it, but I had fallen in love with the CS and had to have one - result, $18,000 worth of bike sitting in the garage because I find the seat too wide for my short legs and I lack confidence at low speed. I had never even sat on a Goose so we kept an eye out for one in March and saw one at Cyclespot. Really rough, but at least I could check it out for size. I knew Underwood and Wilkins had one so we rang them but they'd just sold it, but they put me onto Bike Force who had a second-hand one as well as a new one with 4kms on the clock. I rode the second-hand one and HATED it! Loose notchy chain and a huge bellypan that my boots kept getting caught in when I changed gear. My husband talked me into buying the new one and I had my doubts, but the first time I took it for a ride I had a grin a mile wide! The gear box is the smoothest I have ever experienced and it is so responsive. The suspension is pretty hard and the seat could do with some more padding as well, but it is a lovely bike to ride. As for weight on the wrists, because it is a naked bike, the wind holds you up and I have had no problems with sore wrists or hands. I used to come back from a ride and have such sore hands I could hardly change gear but I have not found that with the Goose. I do get a bit sore around the shoulders but that is mainly due to the low bars. I've just run mine in now so I don't know exactly what it is capable of, but it easily gets up to 120kph which is pretty much all I need. I don't have the skills to ride at warp speed nine, nor the desire, so it's a great bike for me. I've never ridden a FXR but the Goose has more power (and a smoother delivery) than the RG150. It loves tight and twisty stuff and I find the leg room more than enough for me - but I'm only 5'1"! It attracts a lot of attention and it's economical - I won the 251-500cc class of our motorcycle club's economy run on it, think it worked out to about 25kpl. If you want to know any more, send me a PM or email.

clint640
22nd August 2005, 08:44
Never ridden one, but I have only heard good things about them, from some very reliable sources. The DR350 engine is legendary for it's reliability.

If you find the bars too low, just get some different ones! Motorcycle ergonomics can usually be changed very easily with a few bolt on bits.

Smart move not going from a 150 straight to a 600 too :2thumbsup In the twistys a good rider on a goose will blow away an average rider on a sportsbike anyday.

Cheers
Clint

White trash
22nd August 2005, 11:40
Bloody brilliant bike and there's no end of hot up bits available for them. They're regarded as a bit of a cult bike in certain areas and the handling is sublime. Due to the fact that they weren't particularly good sellers in NZ (Christ knows why), they're really inexpensive and a whole lotta fun.

nudemetalz
22nd August 2005, 13:33
I’ve always liked the look of the Goose, sort of Suzuki’s next step from where they left off with the NZ-250.
Wonder what they would be like with a DRZ-400 engine in them………..

Cheers

Kjell
22nd August 2005, 14:26
Stepped up from an RGV150 to the Goose. Great handling, good torque, Happy at open road speeds, with enough squirt to pass when needed. Not as fun as a mates VTR1000 he let me borrow, but good for the size.

Cheap comparitively to some 250cc, good ride.

Only drawback I have found is the forks dive a bit too much given the weight the bike is carrying (read me). A quick 3>2 downchange can really plunge the front. At this stage cracking the seal and replacing the viscosity of the nominal fluid is not currently within the available budget.

Would also like a rear fender just off the rear wheel, and replace the bitch seat with a hard cover, but being a Jap domestic model, no aftermarket parts are avaiable in appearance.

Edit: Don't get the blue one. yellow or black better.

inlinefour
22nd August 2005, 14:52
I was considering buying one as a reintergration back into bikes, but the CB came my way first...

Beemer
22nd August 2005, 15:04
Bloody brilliant bike and there's no end of hot up bits available for them. They're regarded as a bit of a cult bike in certain areas and the handling is sublime. Due to the fact that they weren't particularly good sellers in NZ (Christ knows why), they're really inexpensive and a whole lotta fun.

I think there were two main reasons they didn't sell in NZ - firstly the price, I think they were $8995 when they went on the market, and secondly the fact they are a 350 - not suitable legally for a learner, and most people want something a bit bigger than a 350 when they step up. My husband had ridden one and loved it but I couldn't be talked out of the CS. Wish he'd been a bit more persuasive at the time because I am rapt with the bike! Great fun, nice and economical and I'm forever getting people coming up to ask what it is. Most think it is a 500.