PDA

View Full Version : Got a slight problem with my exhaust not lining up with the bracket

Jsrich
6th July 2013, 13:20
So im trying to stick a new can on to my GT250R. (inb4 "Get a jap not a hyobag!"; I know, gotta start somewhere, it was cheap! :yes:) And turns out the main pipe is slightly bend ffrom a slide it has had so the bracket for the pipe wont align with the footpeg bracket. Here are some pics:

Here is where it is slightly bent, just under the foot rest:

And another of it not lining up. Looks like a massive distance in this pic but its really only like 10mm or so I am guessing..

Any idea how I can bend the pipe back downwards a little bit without taking the whole thing off the bike?

Cheers :)

tigertim20
6th July 2013, 13:36
remove pipe, heat gently, bend.

or if you cant be fucked with that, it only looks an inch or so out you could be rough and push weight down on the can and have someone else slide the bolt through when it lines up.

kinger
6th July 2013, 13:37
Loosen alll exhaust attachments, clamps etc. then insert bolt, and retighten each one bit by bit until secure.

Jsrich
6th July 2013, 13:48

or if you cant be fucked with that, it only looks an inch or so out you could be rough and push weight down on the can and have someone else slide the bolt through when it lines up.

Loosen alll exhaust attachments, clamps etc. then insert bolt, and retighten each one bit by bit until secure.

Ah thanks guys, ill try this way first, then if that doesnt work ill try the heating and bending option. Will post the results after I try it :)

jellywrestler
6th July 2013, 14:19

yep and with the tension somewhere along the line it'll develop a crack and cause more issues....

Jsrich
6th July 2013, 14:22

Man its not my day :( just found this bit that is welded to the frame is slightly bent too, and this is what is making the foot peg exhaust bracket not line up..

I guess there is no simple way of bending this back a little the other way is there?

Drew
6th July 2013, 14:35
Man its not my day :( just found this bit that is welded to the frame is slightly bent too, and this is what is making the foot peg exhaust bracket not line up..

I guess there is no simple way of bending this back a little the other way is there?

Looks like it needs to be cut off and welded back on straight to me.

Jsrich
6th July 2013, 14:41
Looks like it needs to be cut off and welded back on straight to me.

Ah nuts, not sure if your familiar with Hamilton or not, but would you know of any place/ shop that might be able to help with that kind of thing?

Drew
6th July 2013, 14:44
Ah nuts, not sure if your familiar with Hamilton or not, but would you know of any place/ shop that might be able to help with that kind of thing?

No idea sorry.

Drew
6th July 2013, 14:45
You could bend it back with a couple cresent spanners. If it doesn't snap, sweet as. Doubt I'd be putting a pillion on though.

Jsrich
6th July 2013, 14:46
You could bend it back with a couple cresent spanners. If it doesn't snap, sweet as. Doubt I'd be putting a pillion on though.

Alright thanks :2thumbsup

buggerit
7th July 2013, 20:27
Please have a look at the same bracket on the other side of bike because I think you may find that it is the same ( factory).
I would leave the pipe on bike, heat at bend below footpeg and bend into position, use heat shields to protect frame, pegs etc
I would suggest you take it round to Pitstop.

AllanB
7th July 2013, 21:00
Piece od shite Hyobag.

Loosen everything off and attach the peg/muffler locator first. Tighten back from there.

Jsrich
13th July 2013, 11:58
Used a technique that is not the most practical.. but a bit of brute force did the trick for everything, all fits snug now. :Punk: