PDA

View Full Version : The mighty GN

rfc85
21st August 2005, 20:21
well to all the sceptics on the worth of the GN250 i have just rode from Rotorua to Upper Hutt today and the little beauty did not miss a beat.
sat on 105-110 the whole away .top little bike would recommend them to anyone.should have come down yesterday so i could have joined the ride over the hill next time :woohoo:

campbellluke
21st August 2005, 20:57
For $3000 though... I wouldn't have the confidence to overtake a driver that was doing 90kmph on the open road. I guess I am a sceptic. On bikes like mine you can often back yourself when they are doing 140. Just... too slow, for too much $ - For my recommendation a 250 must have 40+ crank horsepower.

In saying that, the only GN250 I rode was an 80s one with 80,000kms on it.

Coyote
21st August 2005, 21:07
What was it like up the rimutakas?

rfc85
21st August 2005, 21:17
didn,t make the rimatukas but it went up paikcock ok had bout 30ks of baggage on.
yes is low on hp and can not pass but i just rode to its ability an it did well

skelstar
21st August 2005, 21:46
I followed Str8jacket (on a GN) some of the day around the Wairarapa (on the 'Cautious ride') and she was going real well. I was impressed.

ducatilover
21st August 2005, 21:49
you actaully liked the gn250? dude i got mine 5 or 6 weeks ago and im already getting rid of it. its slow, cant corner, uncomfortable and has suspension design poblems, eg.....when leaning a gn250 onto its pegs whilst doing 120 you notice it will start to wallow/wobble. i personaly dont like the riding style, but that got something to do with fuked spinal muscles and once a slipped disc or two. the upright ridding position putts too much stress on my premature[16 years old] grampa troubles [my spine nothing to do with erectile disfunction for all you sick bastards]. i must admit though it was quite good till i tried to pass a 90kmh truck and did not succeed. by the way if your gn has the same front tire as mine[ its a staight pattern parralell to the side wall] have it replaced with something better for you sake. my tire is in good condition but she still slipped out @50kmh on the rimutaka hill. i could have easily done 80 if it wasnt for the tire. lucky i wasnt doing 80 other wise i would be being scrapped of the fonrt of a landcruiser....... :violin: :puke:

crashe
21st August 2005, 23:10
well to all the sceptics on the worth of the GN250 i have just rode from Rotorua to Upper Hutt today and the little beauty did not miss a beat.
sat on 105-110 the whole away .top little bike would recommend them to anyone.should have come down yesterday so i could have joined the ride over the hill next time :woohoo:

So how long did it take you to do the trip? :ride: :ride:

rfc85
22nd August 2005, 06:12
bout 6 hrs with stops

Str8 Jacket
22nd August 2005, 07:08
I did the Taka's on my MIGHTY GN yesterday, apart form the wind trying to push me of the road, and my lack of counter steering skills, she went beautifully! In fact I managed to keep at a steady (ish) 120k's on the straights, and slightly more down hill on the straights! I love my bike (well until I can ride a bigger one!) :woohoo:

Odin
22nd August 2005, 07:09
I followed Str8jacket (on a GN) some of the day around the Wairarapa (on the 'Cautious ride') and she was going real well. I was impressed.

Im confused .... impressed with Str8jacket or the GN :rofl:

Str8 Jacket
22nd August 2005, 07:15

Let me answer that for you, Skelstar :motu: Twas the GN of course . . .

SARGE
22nd August 2005, 07:57
you actaully liked the gn250? dude i got mine 5 or 6 weeks ago and im already getting rid of it. its slow, cant corner, uncomfortable and has suspension design poblems, eg.....when leaning a gn250 onto its pegs whilst doing 120 you notice it will start to wallow/wobble.:violin: :puke:

you cant ride the GN like a Sportsbike.. it has to be ridden like a Motard.. also .. a set of flat offroad bars.. makes it much easier to ride and turn

skelstar
22nd August 2005, 08:18
The GN of course. Although, having not driven a car before Str8's riding skills was too bad either.

Str8 Jacket
22nd August 2005, 08:22
The GN of course. Although, having not driven a car before Str8's riding skills was too bad either.

Im just going to pretend that you meant to say weren't? :confused: Thankyou . . . . I think?

skelstar
22nd August 2005, 08:32
Im just going to pretend that you meant to say weren't? :confused: Thankyou . . . . I think?
Oh yeah, woops. Too early in the morning yet, Im on hoiliday you know...:)

John
22nd August 2005, 08:36
I did the Taka's on my MIGHTY GN yesterday, apart form the wind trying to push me of the road, and my lack of counter steering skills, she went beautifully! In fact I managed to keep at a steady (ish) 120k's on the straights, and slightly more down hill on the straights! I love my bike (well until I can ride a bigger one!) :woohoo:
I always get concerned when new riders talk about counter steering - your brains a magicial bit of kit, let it ride for you.

Str8 Jacket
22nd August 2005, 08:39
Oh yeah, woops. Too early in the morning yet, Im on hoiliday you know...:)

Nice one, have fun. Would you like to borrow the GN one day, so you can practice some "faster" riding? :bleh:

Eurygnomes
22nd August 2005, 10:44
My MIGHTY GN has no problems sticking at 110kph (unless it's uphill into the wind...which...let's face it, in Wellington - is frequently the case) and she passes things on the motorway too (without my intervention of course) when I let her.

And she's coming up for sale...

GN1NiteStnd
24th August 2005, 09:22
MY gn is a little crapier than most, meets my learner needs well. And when its time to buy sum more grunt. Ill sell it to another learner (hopefully not as a parts bike). And by a GB500! :woohoo: I cant wait! :ride:

sunhuntin
28th August 2005, 16:24
my lil pup pulled nicely all the way to shannon and back. got left in the dust on the way down, but she hauled ass all the way back [120k most of the way] she even passed a few cars on the uphills and rolled passed a couple of the harleys [only to be blown back again a few minutes later! LOL] am really pleased with how well she ran.

filled her up at work when i got there [2 hours late :nono: ] took more than the usual $10 to get her to the brim. i shoulda been on reserve, but she hadnt started farting, so mustve been happy enough. still need to give her a clean though, but will see to that later on a bit. :woohoo:

froggyfrenchman
28th August 2005, 17:00
there is nothing wrong with a gn. what you must remember is that they are a learner bike. not real fast but reliable as hell, never blow up and last forever. Not a sports bike by any means, so dont complain bout the handling. If you do come off a zxr250 or the likes, youre gonna be up for $500 to fix fairing and mirrors will be at least $50 each. $50 levers.
Come of a gn and its $10 for a new lever and $15 for mirror, whole indicators are $20 brand new.

The gn does exactly what its designed to do, and does it well. If you ask me, anyone thats been riding on the road for less than 2 years riding anything else has made a dumb move. "FAST" 250s arnt fast, just make a lot of noise. Stick with the gn, can teach you alot. Then move up to a 400 or 600 when you can.

I know theres gonna be a whole lot of 15yos that think theyre the best rider in the world wont agree with this, dnt bother arguing.

Your god has spoken

rfc85
28th August 2005, 17:50
there is nothing wrong with a gn. what you must remember is that they are a learner bike. not real fast but reliable as hell, never blow up and last forever. Not a sports bike by any means, so dont complain bout the handling. If you do come off a zxr250 or the likes, youre gonna be up for $500 to fix fairing and mirrors will be at least $50 each. $50 levers.
Come of a gn and its $10 for a new lever and $15 for mirror, whole indicators are $20 brand new.

The gn does exactly what its designed to do, and does it well. If you ask me, anyone thats been riding on the road for less than 2 years riding anything else has made a dumb move. "FAST" 250s arnt fast, just make a lot of noise. Stick with the gn, can teach you alot. Then move up to a 400 or 600 when you can.

I know theres gonna be a whole lot of 15yos that think theyre the best rider in the world wont agree with this, dnt bother arguing.

Your god has spoken
thats what i say 2,it goes very well when riden as a gn 250 not some sort of high powered bike, i might do a new haka about this

Ixion
28th August 2005, 20:20

Your god has spoken

Words of wisdom folks. Best way to get to be a safe rider is to learn how to push a bike to extract everything it's got. Any fool can jump on a high powered bike and ride it past. Until things go all lavender, then it's all over, rover. I suspect the main reason beginner riders want to move to ZXR CBRRR etc is that the extra power hides riding skill deficits. Might be a bit more generous than FF on the 2 years, some riders move up faster than others. But GN250 SR250 CB250RS are jolly good places to start riding. I suspect that riders who stick with their GN through the learning period will stay alive and still be riding years hence.