PDA

View Full Version : Ag100 mods?

agman
9th July 2013, 11:50
A while i back i brought an old ag100 of a mate to try get started into motocross as dad wasnt to keen to put in some money to get something decent. I picked it up for $150 and staright away put on a new chunky tyre on the back. Being the 15 year old boy i am i have taken it to the local motocross track with my mates and gave it a crack. Good fun. (I have all the gear). I know the basics of automotive mechanics and have a toolkit etc. I have acsess to many people that know plenty about motorbikes and stuff. So what are some cheap engine mods I could do to make this old 2 banger go a bit harder? PS What is the story with ag100 clutches i was playing with mine the other day and it wasn't like any clutch ive ever seen or heard of.

Thanks

unstuck
9th July 2013, 12:40
AG 175 motor would be the best mod. Other than that it would be pointless spending the money on mods. IMO. :Punk:

haydes55
9th July 2013, 15:51
For that price go nuts lol. Take off anything unnecessary like the headlight etc. If you have loads of tine and want to gain 0.5hp take off the carby and polish the shit out of the intake. Do the same with the header. Look at the air filter as well. More air into the engine=more power. If you can cut a hole in the airbox to let in more air (but not more mud). Or is there room to fit a bigger filter?

In the end you have got a tuned down 100cc ag bike so don't expect it to be within comparable speed with an 85cc 2stroke mx bike.

I recommend sitting on the redline everywhere and change the oil every few rides

Drew
9th July 2013, 15:55
PS What is the story with ag100 clutches i was playing with mine the other day and it wasn't like any clutch ive ever seen or heard of.

ThanksIn what way? It's a multi plate, wet clutch. Same as a huge percentage of motorbikes from anywhere in the world...Except Germany and Italy, those cunts are fucked in the head.

gammaguy
9th July 2013, 16:01
this is what i do with my AG

thats what they are for(the rabbit on the haybale had it coming)

NOT MOTOCROSS

sacriledge

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-mW7ugMZSqZI/UOO6evn2vSI/AAAAAAAAOK0/v85PzO-8F70/w1128-h905-no/Scan071.jpg

Drew
9th July 2013, 16:03
this is what i do with my AG

thats what they are for(the rabbit on the haybale had it coming)

NOT MOTOCROSS

sacriledgeDude, does it do sick as wheelies with the ballast?

unstuck
9th July 2013, 16:17
Thats a pretty tidy AG there Gamma, what year. Mines a 79, but its hot pink.:facepalm:

haydes55
9th July 2013, 16:57
NOT MOTOCROSS

sacrilege

I first had a go around an mx track on a 49cc scooter. Loved it. Got shit all air (read: none). But I still had a blast. It's not what you ride that matters, it's that you ride.

koba
9th July 2013, 18:02
Bigger Carb, Better porting, Better pipe, more compression.

Easy said, not so easy done.

Start by reading this book: http://books.google.co.nz/books/about/2_stroke_Performance_Tuning.html?id=Ij593j28IP8C&redir_esc=y

It's a bit old tech now but a good primer for the basics.

agman
9th July 2013, 18:40
Whatta ya mean polish the intake? I guess by header you mean the inside of the header pipe. How could i raise the compression? also what size carb would i go up to?

haydes55
9th July 2013, 19:09
Whatta ya mean polish the intake? I guess by header you mean the inside of the header pipe. How could i raise the compression? also what size carb would i go up to?

Get out the sandpaper and polish where the gogo juice and air goes in. And where the smoke comes out of the head.

Raising compression can be done with a thinner head gasket, taller piston or change the cam to increase the stroke. It's an easy job to fuck up if you're clueless and the easiest way would be to take out the gasket, use liquid gasket (as thin as you dare) and put the head back on. If you do it right the compression might be slightly higher and you won't blow the head gasket. It's only a 100 so surely it's not too much pressure on it?

pete-blen
9th July 2013, 19:40
change the cam to increase the stroke.

Mate I really think you need to stop posting in these type of threads...

PS...... AG100 is a 2 stroke...yer can tell by the fat exhaust pipe....

agman
9th July 2013, 19:47
Lol yeah... I was thinking that the timing may be out slightly. Ive dont the timing on cars before but i wouldnt understand how to do it on a bike specially a 2 stroke. If i was able to deal with the timing could i put a bit of lead on it and run 98 octane and a bit less oil? (It is an auto mixer but the oil tank is leaking so i mix straight into the tank)

haydes55
9th July 2013, 19:54
Mate I really think you need to stop posting in these type of threads...

PS...... AG100 is a 2 stroke...yer can tell by the fat exhaust pipe....

Sorry I was being general saying how compression can be raised on engines. I wasn't suggesting he change the cam on his $150 bike. I know it's a 2stroke.

fridayflash
9th July 2013, 19:59
perf mods to an ag hundy eh? hmmm... as unstuck said put a bugger motor in it lol
seriously as said above you could ploish the ports but that'll do feck all by itself
pull out the reed cage and open the stopper plates a bit might do a lillte also
but id leave the carb and airbox close to stock or youll get the dreaded
ag100 stutter (it sounds like a sheep0!
i had plenty of ht90's and ag100's growing up as they were the cheapest offroad
dunger available, would like another one..
go the yamaha grasshopper!!!!!!!!!

pete-blen
9th July 2013, 19:59
Sorry I was being general saying how compression can be raised on engines. I wasn't suggesting he change the cam on his $150 bike. I know it's a 2stroke.

It has NOT got a cam...... Other than the one on the end of the selector drum for indexing the gears...

fridayflash
9th July 2013, 20:03
as for the clutch...arent they actuated by a rod pushed through from the drive side ?
or am i confused with ac50's etc lol

Drew
9th July 2013, 20:19
as for the clutch...arent they actuated by a rod pushed through from the drive side ?
Nope, you're onto it. But the young fella has no experience with bikes.

Drew
9th July 2013, 20:21
OK, lets overwhelm the young fella.

Everything you need to know, to DOUBLE the power of you AG is contained in this thread. http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/86554-ESE-s-works-engine-tuner

I am not exaggerating if you're wondering.

pete-blen
9th July 2013, 20:46

they are push rod..from a small worm unit on the left side of the motor ..If I remember correctly...which I prob don't

unstuck
9th July 2013, 20:48
they are push rod..from a small worm unit on the left side of the motor ..If I remember correctly...which I prob don't

You do.:msn-wink:

At least my 175 is.

agman
9th July 2013, 21:00
I need to get a vietnamese man to come tinker with my ports and retune my carb?

Drew
9th July 2013, 21:07
I need to get a vietnamese man to come tinker with my ports and retune my carb?Read the thousand pages.

That bike is now becoming fuel injected!

fridayflash
9th July 2013, 21:07
You do.:msn-wink:

At least my 175 is.

you got a nag175 unstuck? cool! that was the first motorbike i ever rode...flipped it of course!
have improved marginaly since:sleep:

BigAl
9th July 2013, 22:17
Yeah I learnt to ride on an Ag100, weighed a ton with all the bar protection, carrier & shit but was good fun, round and round the tanker track til I dropped it and couldn't pick it up lol.

Mushu
10th July 2013, 01:16
Best mod to do, don't spend anything on it save as much as you can and ride it hard till it blows up then buy whatever mx bike you can afford if that's what you're after.

gammaguy
10th July 2013, 01:43
Dude, does it do sick as wheelies with the ballast?

That's what the rabbit asked just before:shifty:

gammaguy
10th July 2013, 01:47
Thats a pretty tidy AG there Gamma, what year. Mines a 79, but its hot pink.:facepalm:

I miss my AG

It was a 1980...a G

I sold it to a collector in the UK,he uses it to go stag hunting. He took my SR250 back at the same time

true story:yes:

agman
10th July 2013, 07:22
What if i was able to get a slightly bigger carb and rig it up.

Drew
10th July 2013, 07:32
What if i was able to get a slightly bigger carb and rig it up.

Serious answer time then.

The exhaust pipe and carb are limiting it at the moment. Next weakest link Will be porting, followed very closely by the crank.

That's the power issues in a nut shell.

You gearbox however is a big hurdle for an MX track.

unstuck
10th July 2013, 07:46
Probably best just to thrash the shit out of it until you find something a little more suited to MX. You can have a serious amount of fun on a AG 100 when you wring its neck. I even lost the popo on one when I was 14, but then I had the advantage of knowing all the little walkways in our hood, and they never had the eagle back then.:whistle:

You could try cleaning out the exhaust pipe, and making sure the carb and points and plug and all that jazz is up to scratch. But I would suggest the compression will be down on it by now, so not really worth spending big money on it unless you are a collector and enthusiast.:2thumbsup

fridayflash
10th July 2013, 08:11
dusting off the fuzz on an ag100? legend!
i tried on a gt250x7 (knicked from a mates dad) aged 13
but the cop was in a bloody sss bluebird...he headed me off into a ditch lol

unstuck
10th July 2013, 08:15
Mate, I lost them on a FA 50, but my brother had to paint it, cos it was his.:Punk::Punk:

agman
10th July 2013, 13:16
Haha. Not building this to out do the cops.... What size carb would i go up to?

Mushu
10th July 2013, 13:35

Don't waste your time, save that carb money for a MX bike and just thrash your AG around till you have enough cash for something more suitable.
You can loose the cops on anything if you're clever enough as long as they don't call in the eagle (I've gotten away twice on a push bike)

Drew
10th July 2013, 13:38
Fucken hell. Is anyone on this site not a criminal?

Why would you need to outrun police, on a bloody pushbike?

Mushu
10th July 2013, 13:57
Fucken hell. Is anyone on this site not a criminal?

Cos they get upset when you don't wear a helmet for some reason. It's amazing how far some of them will chase you for a $150 fine.

BigAl
10th July 2013, 14:00

Delivering Donuts???

Drew
10th July 2013, 14:03
Cos they get upset when you don't wear a helmet for some reason. It's amazing how far some of them will chase you for a $150 fine.Oh, I can't deny that I would do the same...If I were fit enough to 'sprint' on a pushbike for more than twenty meters of course.

fridayflash
10th July 2013, 14:07

dont change the carb at all agman, your bike is low compression and weak spark just ride it as is
and save for the next better one...seriously!!!

Mushu
10th July 2013, 14:20
Oh, I can't deny that I would do the same...If I were fit enough to 'sprint' on a pushbike for more than twenty meters of course.

The trick is to look for your advantage, you'll never out run the car, but if you can get away from the road it becomes easy.

fridayflash
10th July 2013, 14:52
i tried to boost it from the cops another time..two up on a cg125..up napier hill
, yep they got me
my mate was carrying the flagons on the back and didnt appreciate the
savage acceleration ;)cc

unstuck
10th July 2013, 16:17
This is my AG175 before the firm stole it and painted it hot pink, I have not re painted it yet, but it is in the back of the shed waiting. It has been on some awesome trips. The other one is my brothers 185 mudbug.:Punk::Punk:

The Reibz
10th July 2013, 21:59
Go fuel injection then Turbo it

Drew
10th July 2013, 22:02
Go fuel injection then Turbo itIt isn't too hard to turbo a 2 stroke if my theory of an inlet valve works. Would save a fuck load of pissing around with pipes and shit. But supercharger is better for the application. Or both.

fridayflash
10th July 2013, 22:04
This is my AG175 before the firm stole it and painted it hot pink, I have not re painted it yet, but it is in the back of the shed waiting. It has been on some awesome trips. The other one is my brothers 185 mudbug.:Punk::Punk:

cool bikes unstuck..take you anywhere!
btw..what area are you riding in that pic?
southland? otago?

Mongolian
11th July 2013, 07:01
Like everyone has said already there are ways of making your AG faster. But most are unlikely to be worth it.
The usual performance mods for 2 stroke bikes usually include:
porting and polishing along with port matching the cylinder to the crankcase
better expansion chamber
bigger carb
modified or aftermarket reeds
higher compression
improved ignition
Improved powervalves (Although im not sure AG's actually have them)

The majority of those would easily start costing you more than an older MX bike.

Something free you could possibly do is if you have access to an oxy acetylene welder is to take off the pipe and burn out all the old carbon.

Best bet would be to ride the crap out of it till you can afford something better. You can still have plenty of fun at an MX track on an AG. One of my mates used to take the old farm bike up to trail rides and had no issues keeping up.

unstuck
11th July 2013, 07:09
cool bikes unstuck..take you anywhere!
btw..what area are you riding in that pic?
southland? otago?

Tis in southland. One of my favorite areas, because not many people know about it and it has some really awesome knarly tracks. It is in the eyer mountains and the hill the pic was taken on is called west dome., You can see the whole area quite well from the road between Mossburn and Te-anau, but looks inaccessible from down there.:Punk::Punk:
Those old bikes have ridden some real interesting places in the last 15yrs and have even had a chopper ride on the west coast, but thats a whole new world of insanity.:eek5:

fridayflash
11th July 2013, 11:05
i must confess ive never been down south at all, so overdue to do a road ride down there..or more likely
road and gravel. but the back country trailriding is what interests me most!
how long you been in gore? ive got cuzzies there. Karena is the the sir name, they mostly work at the
mataura works i think

unstuck
11th July 2013, 15:38
i must confess ive never been down south at all, so overdue to do a road ride down there..or more likely
road and gravel. but the back country trailriding is what interests me most!
how long you been in gore? ive got cuzzies there. Karena is the the sir name, they mostly work at the
mataura works i think

20 yrs I think this year, I only know one Karena, Marty. Some awesome riding down here, just been out today in the pebbly hills forest which is about 25-30 mins away. Awesome riding day, wet but drying tracks and bright sunshine.:sunny::sunny: