PDA

View Full Version : Foot position?

Mushu
10th July 2013, 00:40
I have been looking at how most riders position their feet on the pegs and I seem to be different, is that bad?

Whilst following other bikers I notice pretty much every body I come across positions their feet with the peg in the arch of their foot. (regardless of experience)

I on the other hand tend to position the pegs under the balls if my feet but have only ever noticed a couple of other riders who do this on the road. (it seems more common with off road riders and racers)

Am I doing it wrong, is every one else or does it not matter?

Akzle
10th July 2013, 05:01
ima balls and toe knuckle kinda guy.

nzspokes
10th July 2013, 06:41
If im cruising my pegs are in the arches, if going quicker they are on the balls of my feet. If I dont I scrape my boots.

Hitcher
10th July 2013, 10:03
Behind the ears works on so many different levels. Apparently.

Drew
10th July 2013, 10:29
My right foot only ever has the peg under the arch when I'm doing wheelies. Rest of the time it's my toes, and balls of my foot.

Left foot same, except for gear changing.

I don't use the rear brake for anything but wheelie control, or sitting static on a slope though.

george formby
10th July 2013, 10:37
If I dont I scrape my boots.

Tis my problem also, big feet.

I've spent hours watching video of racers, on & and off road & most seem to have their instep on the pegs most of the time. I know advanced ridding trainers advocate this so the rear brake & gear lever are covered. I struggle with it. I'm doing a lot more off road now & want to get betterer, so am trying to use the right techniques. Much easier to ride a dirt bike with the insteps on the pegs.

toebug
10th July 2013, 10:40
Depends on what you are riding. Sport bikes; on your toes to allow you to get off the seat and look through the corner and position your body easier and faster. If you are on a cruiser, it doesnt matter cuase you cant corner anyway.....

fridayflash
10th July 2013, 10:51
on the balls/toes for me man
or as drew says..on the arches for wheelstands!
i could never do anything more than a quick powerstand
on my rf tho....

Sable
10th July 2013, 10:57
Depends on the bike, riding position and size of your boots. I do the same.

Phantom Limb
10th July 2013, 11:29
Arches for the highway, balls for the corners. I thought everyone did this!?

Drew
10th July 2013, 12:03
on the balls/toes for me man
or as drew says..on the arches for wheelstands!
i could never do anything more than a quick powerstand
on my rf tho....
Second gear, 100kph, stand up on the pegs. Give it a bounce with your legs and GAS IT. Up she comes, will stay there all day if ya want it to.

Big Dave
10th July 2013, 12:05
On KB it appears to be in the mouth.

unstuck
10th July 2013, 12:20
I like to ride side saddle, cos Im dainty.:love:

fridayflash
10th July 2013, 12:25
Second gear, 100kph, stand up on the pegs. Give it a bounce with your legs and GAS IT. Up she comes, will stay there all day if ya want it to.

ive sold mine but must try that technique..ive never been greatly confident at wheelieng bikes with clipons
for whatever reason..standing up might help

scumdog
10th July 2013, 12:41
On KB it appears to be in the mouth.

A-men to that brother!:niceone:

Mushu
10th July 2013, 13:02
So it seems there's nothing wrong with the way I do things.
So the next question is has anyone else noticed that the average biker stands on their arches?

Katman
10th July 2013, 13:10
A-men to that brother!:niceone:

Oh, the irony.

:facepalm:

Maha
10th July 2013, 13:39
So it seems there's nothing wrong with the way I do things.
So the next question is has anyone else noticed that the average biker stands on their arches?

Position your feet where ever you want, its your bike, your rules. Personally, I alternate to suit.
...and um, please explain 'the average biker'?

Drew
10th July 2013, 13:41
and um, please explain 'the average biker'?You're below average...Don't worry about it.:bleh:

Maha
10th July 2013, 13:47
You're below average...Don't worry about it.:bleh:

But A+ for trying right? :confused:

Mushu
10th July 2013, 13:48
Position your feet where ever you want, its your bike, your rules. Personally, I alternate to suit.
...and um, please explain 'the average biker'?

What I mean by average biker is every one I see riding a bike, no matter what type of bike they are riding they all seem to be riding like this. It feels weird when I try it hence this thread to see what others think.

Swoop
10th July 2013, 14:09
In the deep, dark days of KB, there was a thread with a poll on this exact subject.

Personally, balls. None of this arches crap.

Mushu
10th July 2013, 14:12
In the deep, dark days of KB, there was a thread with a poll on this exact subject.

Personally, balls. None of this arches crap.

To old to be dredged up? I'd like to see the results since this thread seems to go against what I have actually seen out there while riding.

Oakie
10th July 2013, 19:05
Balls. Only arches for a short time to give my balls a rest and strech the legs a little. Nothing worse than tired, uncomfortable balls :)

bosslady
10th July 2013, 19:23
Front balls of my feet sit on the pegs when they're not being used. Was told that by my instructor when I first got a bike, then on another occasion told by a separate instructor that was totally wrong and questioned as to where Did I learn that? on the Track? No. Then, on a third occasion by yet another instructor I was told what I was doing in the first place (I.e. What instructor no. 1 told me) was right though sometimes it did come under personal preference, which it is I guess? I still do what I was taught in the first place.

Off road riding lesson today, told to put feet on pegs at the arches but that's a totally different kettle of fish.

Katman
10th July 2013, 19:33
Always arches.

Tony.OK
10th July 2013, 20:00
Sports bike...............straight line, balls.
Corners, outside foot hooked on arch, inside foot on ball to stop toe touching down. By hooking arch on outside foot makes locking leg into tank much more secure.
Thats how I ride/raced.

Take a look at most GP riders and you'll see the same thing, much more traction on the tank with inner thigh.

http://photos.motogp.com/2008/07/13/227661_nicky+hayden+in+action+in+sachsenrng+motogp-1280x960-jul13.jpg._original.jpg
http://ultimatemotorcycling.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/2013-pedrosa-leads-fp1-le-mans-motogp.jpg

slofox
10th July 2013, 20:06
If I pull my feet back so that the peg is under ball of foot, I can't reach gear or brake levers without moving a foot forward. So arches it is.

(Besides pulling the feet back like that makes my knees and hips squeak as well...)

Mushu
10th July 2013, 20:17
Corners, outside foot hooked on arch, inside foot on ball to stop toe touching down. By hooking arch on outside foot makes locking leg into tank much more secure.
Thats how I ride/raced.

Take a look at most GP riders and you'll see the same thing, much more traction on the tank with inner thigh.

Must try this, sounds like it makes sense

pritch
10th July 2013, 20:43
(Besides pulling the feet back like that makes my knees and hips squeak as well...)

Yeah, that ball of the foot stuff is OK if you are heavily into some GP fantasy. If you are going to be riding past the corner dairy though or actually to another town, :whistle: riding on the balls of the foot makes the angle of the knee more acute than it needs to be.

Deep vein thrombosis anyone?

SPP
10th July 2013, 20:43
Thats how I ride/raced.

An accomplished racer giving cornering tips said the same thing and that having the outside foot on the arch also takes pressure off your knee by opening up your leg angle.
The reality is I’m too un-co to get it right without slipping so just fall back to what’s comfortable; balls both feet.

Ocean1
10th July 2013, 20:49
Off road riding lesson today, told to put feet on pegs at the arches but that's a totally different kettle of fish.

Nope, we'll argue about that also!

Erelyes
10th July 2013, 22:14
Deep vein thrombosis anyone?

From an OOS perspective, 'the best position is the next position', e.g. mix it up.

Er, noone has ever taught or told me what to do foot positioning wise, nor have I ever gone on a track - but I am mostly arches, with balls on the motorway occasionally.

Oakie
10th July 2013, 22:40
Thats how I ride/raced.

Funny. I have found myself sometimes doing the opposite subconsciously on tightish sweepers. Don't know why but it just feels right.

quickbuck
10th July 2013, 22:52
I have been looking at how most riders position their feet on the pegs and I seem to be different, is that bad?

Whilst following other bikers I notice pretty much every body I come across positions their feet with the peg in the arch of their foot. (regardless of experience)

I on the other hand tend to position the pegs under the balls if my feet but have only ever noticed a couple of other riders who do this on the road. (it seems more common with off road riders and racers)

You are correct, most riders are wrong. It DOES matter.

You have much more control by putting your weight through the balls of your feet.
Also not likely to get your foot trapped under the bike when you corner.

nerrrd
10th July 2013, 23:08
If you are going to be riding past the corner dairy though or actually to another town, :whistle: riding on the balls of the foot makes the angle of the knee more acute than it needs to be.

I'm uncomfortable if the leg bend is too great, even had the seat raised on my bike to help reduce it, so mostly ride on arches.

You have much more control by putting your weight through the balls of your feet.

Agree, definitely have more control this way but can't do it for long periods, so I'm rarely on the balls of my feet. Don't see it as a right vs wrong issue, just whatever suits.

bosslady
10th July 2013, 23:30
Who knows, Maybe it will change when I get a new bike with perhaps a different riding position. Personally however I find it quite comfortable.

nerrrd
10th July 2013, 23:42
Personally however I find it quite comfortable.

So that's a double win for you - comfortable and better control.

george formby
11th July 2013, 00:00
After reading how the thread has progressed & considered my own experience, the observance of on & off road racers, motorcycle dynamics (how you sit on em) & where the controls are, also the fact that riding a motorcycle is physically pro active, put you feet where you need em is my conclusion.

Drew
11th July 2013, 06:59
After reading how the thread has progressed & considered my own experience, the observance of on & off road racers, motorcycle dynamics (how you sit on em) & where the controls are, also the fact that riding a motorcycle is physically pro active, put you feet where you need em is my conclusion.This sums it up perfectly.

Swoop
11th July 2013, 09:11
To old to be dredged up? I'd like to see the results since this thread seems to go against what I have actually seen out there while riding.

Managed to find them.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/62651-BALLS-or-arches?highlight=Balls+arches

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/122608-Balls-or-Arches?highlight=Balls+arches

Banditbandit
11th July 2013, 12:57
I always ride on the arches .. back when I started tat's how we did things .. none of this othr fancy shit ...

And on the track is one thing - on the road another ... on tracks speed adn therefore handling are primary - on the road safety is a bigger issue ..

I prefer to ride at all times with my foot as close to the brake pedal as possible .. the conscious effort required to moved from the balls to the arches to use the brake and the time taken can mean the difference between stopping safely and hitting something .. at 160kph half a second (the average reaction time) is about 44 metres of road distance ... half a second to react half a second to reach the pedal is now close to 90 metres in road distance ... before you even brake ... So I prefer to reduce my stopping time on the road by being close to that life saving pedal ...

And yes, I have scrapped boots on the road in corners ... I just lift my toes if it's getting that close ..

bosslady
11th July 2013, 13:07
I always ride on the arches .. back when I started tat's how we did things .. none of this othr fancy shit ...

And on the track is one thing - on the road another ... on tracks speed adn therefore handling are primary - on the road safety is a bigger issue ..

I prefer to ride at all times with my foot as close to the brake pedal as possible .. the conscious effort required to moved from the balls to the arches to use the brake and the time taken can mean the difference between stopping safely and hitting something .. at 160kph half a second (the average reaction time) is about 44 metres of road distance ... half a second to react half a second to reach the pedal is now close to 90 metres in road distance ... before you even brake ... So I prefer to reduce my stopping time on the road by being close to that life saving pedal ...

And yes, I have scrapped boots on the road in corners ... I just lift my toes if it's getting that close ..
I thought you didn't use the rear brake?

Drew
11th July 2013, 13:12

And yes, I have scrapped boots on the road in corners ... I just lift my toes if it's getting that close ..Dunno about much of that. In emergency braking situations, the back brakes is rarely doing anything at all. But the time to get the front brake isn't changed by foot position.

Also, isn't bike control paramount to rider safety.

I had a think about it after Tony posted. My feet are constantly moving when I ride. There's no consistent spot except on roads where I don't need to change out of top cog. Then it's toes on pegs always. My left footage rubber is nearly gone, from moving that foot forward to change gear, then back to toes on pegs.

Drew
11th July 2013, 13:14

Doesn't make difference to anything but cruisers...and road lice, even if he does.

russd7
13th July 2013, 20:31
with balls on the motorway occasionally.

personally prefer to keep me balls off the motorway but each to their own i guess:Playnice:

98tls
13th July 2013, 20:42
I have been looking at how most riders position their feet on the pegs and I seem to be different, is that bad

This makes even the waving threads interesting.

Mushu
13th July 2013, 21:36
This makes even the waving threads interesting.

So don't read it.......

It was just something I noticed and thought I'd see what others think. Sorry about wasting space on this motorcycle forum talking about riding bikes.

Edit: and in case you were wondering I don't wave, I nod most of the time, and only at guys on motards and sport bikes :p

98tls
13th July 2013, 22:20
So don't read it.......

It was just something I noticed and thought I'd see what others think. Sorry about wasting space on this motorcycle forum talking about riding bikes.

Edit: and in case you were wondering I don't wave, I nod most of the time, and only at guys on motards and sport bikes :p

All good though i noticed as you type there seems to be a tendency to have your left foot a degree or 2 out from optimum typing angle.

quickbuck
13th July 2013, 22:46

So... Do you drive a car with your foot covering the brake all the time???
If so, how do you accelerate?
Or is it left foot braking?

The distance between the ball of your foot, and the arch of your foot is freak all compared to the distance you have to mve your foot in a car to hit the brake pedal.

The PRIMARY brake on a bike however is literally right at hand.

THIS is the ONE you should use FIRST!

Mushu
14th July 2013, 01:14
All good though i noticed as you type there seems to be a tendency to have your left foot a degree or 2 out from optimum typing angle.

Don't you find it interesting how different people can have a good reason to do things different ways. Often they will come up with something I hadn't thought of and force me to changed for the better.

The distance between the ball of your foot, and the arch of your foot is freak all compared to the distance you have to mve your foot in a car to hit the brake pedal.

This is a big part of reason I don't cover either brake when I ride, I don't feel it's unsafe when I drive my car and the distance between pedals is far more than the time it takes to get 2 fingers on the front brake or to cover the rear brake on the bike. And I do feel safer having my hands wrapped around the bars and feet situated to give me the best leverage should I need it.

Kickaha
14th July 2013, 07:55
Yes, the company shouldn't have got me an automatic

Maha
14th July 2013, 08:19
Resting on your balls, keeps you on your toes.

unstuck
14th July 2013, 08:33
Resting on your balls, keeps you on your toes.

Toes under your balls, can keep you on your arse............IYKWIM.:pinch:

russd7
14th July 2013, 09:54
Resting on your balls

seems to me that resting on your balls will also trap the fart bubble under your ball sack, just saying. :shifty:

GDOBSSOR
14th July 2013, 22:26

I almost always have my pegs on the arch of my foot, but I sometimes have em on my toes, very rarely on my heels if I'm sitting further foward. It depends I think on what's comfortable for you, your bike, and the conditions of your ride.

DMNTD
15th July 2013, 09:23
Depends on what you are riding. Sport bikes; on your toes to allow you to get off the seat and look through the corner and position your body easier and faster. If you are on a cruiser, it doesn't matter cause you cant corner anyway.....

Oi! Not all cruisers are created equal mister! :devil2:

Banditbandit
15th July 2013, 13:17

Yes, I hardly ever use the rear brake ... but in an emergency I like to stand on evrything as quickly as possible ...

Dunno about much of that. In emergency braking situations, the back brakes is rarely doing anything at all. But the time to get the front brake isn't changed by foot position.

The rear brake does make a difference .. quite a bit usually ... try stopping with just the front ones, then try it with the front and back and see which is the shorter distance ...

Also, isn't bike control paramount to rider safety.

I'm not sure I would say paramount .. but certainly important .. let's see .... last time I blasted around Hampton Downs there were one of two sprots bikes whose riders were on the balls of their feet and climbing off the side of the bike .. and holding me up ... I don't see that you necessarily have better bike control by being on the balls of your feet on the pegs instead of the instep ...

and yes, the rear brake does make a difference tio stopping distance ...

Banditbandit
15th July 2013, 13:25

Bwhahaha .. the difference in speed is huge - my Terrano gets above a slow crawl only after a while ...

Yes, the primary brake is the front one - it is not the only one ... and of course it is the one I use first ... how do you think I have survived on the road so long ... (40 years of madness on two wheels ...) but if you ignore the rear brake then in an emergency you are ignoring some of your stopping power ..

Mushu
15th July 2013, 19:47
Yes, I hardly ever use the rear brake ... but in an emergency I like to stand on evrything as quickly as possible ...

The rear brake does make a difference .. quite a bit usually ... try stopping with just the front ones, then try it with the front and back and see which is the shorter distance ...

and yes, the rear brake does make a difference tio stopping distance ...

It completely depends on the bike you ride and your faith in the front tyre, I use the rear brake only for about the first second of braking on the R6, after that it's useless when stopping quickly, although I do use it a lot on the DR because I don't fully trust the grip of the knobblies.

Bwhahaha .. the difference in speed is huge - my Terrano gets above a slow crawl only after a while ...

Your Torrano doesn't represent all cars, there's plenty of quick ones out there

george formby
15th July 2013, 20:14
CCCCCccckkkummmmon! Where do ya put your feet? K'inell. Where you need em! I did a Yerpean blast, nearly 1000k's a day on the big roads. I had my feet on the tank, indicators, rear pegs, any where to get rid of cramp in me arse. If I was flexible enough I would have had the Sidis hanging over the bars. It's not black & white, it's here & now!
After 3 days I found an Alp. Balls on the tank & balls on the pegs. Neck stuck out, head pivoting like something from the exorcist, arse just kissing the seat as it passed, hard on the gas from the apex, just like that, da da!

quickbuck
16th July 2013, 09:56

Yes, the primary brake is the front one - it is not the only one ... and of course it is the one I use first ... how do you think I have survived on the road so long ... (40 years of madness on two wheels ...) but if you ignore the rear brake then in an emergency you are ignoring some of your stopping power ..

So you are willing to sacrifice control, so you don't have to move your foot?

So you have 40 years on two wheels... Is that 40 times the same year?

vifferman
16th July 2013, 19:19
Why should you care where I put my feet? Or what I think?
Do your own thing, Man...

Mushu
17th July 2013, 03:05
Why should you care where I put my feet? Or what I think?
Do your own thing, Man...

I'm not worried about what you think, or any body else specifically. But I like to do the research and find the best way to ride, rather than just assume I naturally know everything like most people seem to.

The reason behind the thread was based on the fact that after seeing every biker I see on the road ride with their arches on the pegs, I was wondering if there was a reason for that since I feel I have better control with the balls of my feet on the pegs