PDA

View Full Version : Here's a trick: WAZE

iYRe
11th July 2013, 13:09
This might have been better in tech, so feel free to move it, but I thought it generally interesting.

I use an app called WAZE on my phone (it works on android, and apple phones).
Waze is, according to their page:

Waze is the world's fastest-growing community-based traffic and navigation app. Join other drivers in your area who share real-time traffic and road info, saving everyone time and gas money on their daily commute.
www.waze.com

I also admin a facebook group called MCROD (Monthly Coffee run of Doom). Every time I add an event, because I have sync'd WAZE to facebook, it picks up the event, and asks me if I want to register the location in WAZE. Then it also shows me anyone else who uses waze, who is on my list or who has accepted the invite to the event, and where they are on the map. So, I can sit at the gather point, pick up my phone and see people coming towards me on the app.

Its also quite handy because if you have friends who use it you can see where they are too. They dont necessarily have to be using it - just have it on in their pocket/pack/bag. So if you are out riding with your mates, and you cant see someone in the mirror, a quick glance shows they are still with you.. or stopped 2kms back down the road.. (of course it doesnt help if you dont have a phone cradle, or they arent using it or their battery goes flat, etc).

It has the added advantage of showing you where traffic is slow, and if other people have reported police/cams/accidents/etc (you can too, if you can do it while riding.. dont recommend this however). Its a great piece of software. Also, if you have kids you can chuck them in the car, turn it on, and find some roads no one has driven on, map them for other users and get points :)