PDA

View Full Version : Bandit 1200 - Just a few mods

Vinz0r
11th July 2013, 19:12
Here's my '99 Suzuki GSF1200 that I've modified a bit.

Mods:
Stage one carb jet upgrades (102.5 -> 127.5 mains and 37.5 -> 35 pilots)
Modified airbox
'08 GSXR1000 Rear shock (stock one is rubbish).
Modified instrument cluster position (lowered it down onto the headlamp to tidy up the front now that the stock handlebars are gone).
Replaced stock handlebars with clip-ons
Replaced stock indicators with small clear LED ones (stock ones are huge!)

Wired in a garage door opener to the pass switch. It's such a hassle getting the opener out of your pocket with gloves on!

Next up is braided brake lines and a new exhaust with carbs re-tuned to suit.

I also used matte black plasti-dip to cover up the tacky chrome parts. I hate chrome.

The ventura pack rack bars on the back kind of break up the lines of the bike I think, but it's so damn handy when a bike is your primary form of transportation that I can't bring myself to take it off!

http://iforce.co.nz/i/a0eieyfw.rea.jpg

98tls
11th July 2013, 19:18
Looking good fella,great to see someone else mucking about with older Suzuki stuff,hear you on the chrome thing am not a fan myself.What exhaust are you looking at next?

nzspokes
11th July 2013, 19:19
Nice, I miss my 2001 1200. Have you done the timing advancer? Plugged the pair valves?

Somewhere I have the holeshot jet kit instructions if you dont have them.

Drew
11th July 2013, 19:51
Bars are cool man. Old school!

Any pipe on those turns it into a different bike, with no other mods at all aye. Suzuki advertised them new as having something like 10 ponies waiting to be unleashed by just changing the end can.

nzspokes
11th July 2013, 19:54
Make sure you get the jetting right when you pipe it. They come stupidly lean from the factory.

I may still have a stock advancer if you want to play with modding one.

98tls
11th July 2013, 19:59

Any pipe on those turns it into a different bike, with no other mods at all aye. Suzuki advertised them new as having something like 10 ponies waiting to be unleashed by just changing the end can.

:shit:10,any chance Suzuki have a vested interest in the suppliers of end cans:laugh:

nzspokes
11th July 2013, 20:03
Nice, I miss my 2001 1200. Have you done the timing advancer? Plugged the pair valves?

Actually my bad, that motor is pre-pair valves.

Smifffy
11th July 2013, 20:12
I reckon paint matching the pack rack would sort out a lot of that line disruption you mention.

Sweet bike!

Vinz0r
11th July 2013, 20:53
Looking good fella,great to see someone else mucking about with older Suzuki stuff,hear you on the chrome thing am not a fan myself.What exhaust are you looking at next?

Yeah chrome is terrible! The airbox covers on the side there stick out like dogs balls when they're bright and shiny.
I am probably going to go with something cheap for the exhaust. The Yoshi RS-3 is apparently pretty good, but I've been having a look at the Dan-moto stuff. Apparently people have had pretty good results with one of them and I can get a titanium can landed for under $200 from hong kong!! So cheap.

No pair valves on this one (too old). Probably won't bother with the timing advancer just yet. I am having some issues with the emulsion tubes, I think they're slightly ovalled and it's giving me a 'rich' condition at lower RPM, so I need to sort that first. Will probably just pop in some new emulsion tubes (factory pro do some nickel plated ones) and try and find some jet needles (Suzuki NZ charge an arm and a leg for them!)

Cheers :D Yeah I've rejetted too so should get some decent gains with a less restrictive exhaust and shimming the needles a little more.

Make sure you get the jetting right when you pipe it. They come stupidly lean from the factory.

I may still have a stock advancer if you want to play with modding one.

Yeah I've been playing with the needles a bit and raising them different amounts with washers, I should be able to get it spot on when I chuck the exhaust on I think.

I reckon paint matching the pack rack would sort out a lot of that line disruption you mention.

Sweet bike!

Yeah, was thinking about painting her black all over! That'd sort it I reckon.

nzspokes
11th July 2013, 21:00
Contact Alec here, http://www.smebike.com/about_us

I think he has all the carb bits for them, his website is rubbish but he carrys good stocks. Hes in Auckland.

98tls
11th July 2013, 21:00
:no:Dont go anywhere near the Dan Moto shit eh its utter fucking rubbish,ive a set of cans out in the shed i bought on a whim awhile back that i was thinking of fitting to single sided system i had on my TL,paid fuck all for them thankfully as not expecting much in the way of quality even i was surprised at how shit they were.

Vinz0r
11th July 2013, 21:01
Contact Alec here, http://www.smebike.com/about_us

I think he has all the carb bits for them, his website is rubbish but he carrys good stocks. Hes in Auckland.

I bought the jets I needed off him! Awesome prices.
Already asked if he has the emulsion tubes though, unfortunately he doesn't carry them :(

Vinz0r
11th July 2013, 21:04
:no:Dont go anywhere near the Dan Moto shit eh its utter fucking rubbish,ive a set of cans out in the shed i bought on a whim awhile back that i was thinking of fitting to single sided system i had on my TL,paid fuck all for them thankfully as not expecting much in the way of quality even i was surprised at how shit they were.

Oh that's no good. Yeah I'm not expecting them to be top notch aesthetically, really just want to free up a bit of airflow.
Might look at some other options if they're that bad, but I haven't been able to find anything that even comes near that price!

Reckon the ones you've got could be modified to go on my Bandit? :shifty::laugh:

98tls
11th July 2013, 21:11
Oh that's no good. Yeah I'm not expecting them to be top notch aesthetically, really just want to free up a bit of airflow.
Might look at some other options if they're that bad, but I haven't been able to find anything that even comes near that price!

Reckon the ones you've got could be modified to go on my Bandit? :shifty::laugh:

Funny you say that i was just looking at your zaust,be the same bolt on pattern for sure,great thing about Suzuki is the stuff thats interchangeable easily ie ages back i had Hayabusa 6 pots which just bolted straight up though they were shite,easy fix was to just fit K5 forks and radials...job done.The cans ive got a shortish jobbys,can take some pics if your interested,you can have them for fuck -all inclusive of post if they will fit but no guarantees on them passing a wof,there brand new still in the wrapping.

nzspokes
11th July 2013, 21:11

Keep an eye on TM. I just bought a Yoshi which Im going to mod to fit my Hornet for $150. It came with a link pipe that looks made for my bike. 20 mins of welding and it will be good to go. Ive decided to paint it first.

Ive heard ok things about Dan Moto pipes in the US but dont expect them to last forever.

Another thing would be to shorten and gut your can. I did that on our track Hyobag and it came out great.

98tls
11th July 2013, 21:34
Pic of said cans fwiw.May well be of use to someone.

nzspokes
11th July 2013, 21:39

Ive read you need to heat paint the ones that come anodised or painted as they fade after a couple of rides. I was looking at a carbon one before I got the yoshi.

AllanB
11th July 2013, 21:43
Nice and naked. Big jump in jets - reckon it may be rich with the stock can. Ditch that fat bitch!

This crowd make good pipes and they are well priced (do the conversion though!) http://www.fuelexhausts.com/

98tls
11th July 2013, 21:57
Ive read you need to heat paint the ones that come anodised or painted as they fade after a couple of rides. I was looking at a carbon one before I got the yoshi.

Sounds about right,a bloke on the TL site managed to convince M4 to do a run of full systems for the old TLS so i gave up mucking about with the single sided system i bought those cans for.

nzspokes
11th July 2013, 21:58
Nice and naked. Big jump in jets - reckon it may be rich with the stock can. Ditch that fat bitch!

This crowd make good pipes and they are well priced (do the conversion though!) http://www.fuelexhausts.com/

Nah, they come jetted very lean. It sounds like a similar jump in sizes to mine.

Vinz0r
11th July 2013, 22:18

Damn looks like the flange is different :(
Mine has 3 bolts. Wonder how hard an adapter plate would be to make up..

http://iforce.co.nz/i/exxzc5vv.iqj.jpg

AllanB
11th July 2013, 22:21
Somewhere on the net I have seen adaptor plates for Suzui pipes that hook up to the bolt pattern and allow a standard can to be added. Gives you a choice of popular cans.

Here go - found em:

http://www.banditmaniashop.co.uk/silencer-bolt-on-adaptors-3-hole-or-4-hole-820-p.asp

mulletman
11th July 2013, 22:28
A mate of mine has put some Yoshi pipes on TM $1res , funkyp is his TM name.

Vinz0r
11th July 2013, 22:29
Somewhere on the net I have seen adaptor plates for Suzui pipes that hook up to the bolt pattern and allow a standard can to be added. Gives you a choice of popular cans.

Here go - found em:

http://www.banditmaniashop.co.uk/silencer-bolt-on-adaptors-3-hole-or-4-hole-820-p.asp

Awesome thanks. Looks like you'd just chop the link pipe and attach that to the end.

Vinz0r
11th July 2013, 22:39

Keen to take these off your hands, I should be able to make or buy an adapter. How much are ya after for them? (Even just one would do the trick!)

Karitane pete
11th July 2013, 22:49
How about dropping GSXR cams in to it

98tls
11th July 2013, 22:55
Keen to take these off your hands, I should be able to make or buy an adapter. How much are ya after for them? (Even just one would do the trick!)

$100 +whatever the courier costs,i am down south but i doubt courier will be much,you can have them both for that.

Vinz0r
11th July 2013, 23:13
$100 +whatever the courier costs,i am down south but i doubt courier will be much,you can have them both for that.

Oh awesome thanks, weight should be around 4.5kg for the parcel with dimensions of around.. 50 x 50 x 20? So I'd imagine NZPost cost would be somewhere around $20? (I calculated from Invercargill to Hamilton).

How does $125 sound?

[Edit]: Fastway will do it pretty cheap as well, their online calculator says $19 for under 15kg with those dimensions.

[Edit 2]: Forgot to ask, is the thingy to connect it to the bracket included as well?

98tls
11th July 2013, 23:23
Oh awesome thanks, weight should be around 4.5kg for the parcel with dimensions of around.. 50 x 50 x 20? So I'd imagine NZPost cost would be somewhere around $20? (I calculated from Invercargill to Hamilton).

How does $125 sound?

Call it an even $120 mate,am in Oamaru so its there or there about.Not sure how we work out payment,ive been buying and selling bike stuff for years but its all been offshore so have used paypal which it seems not many use here,pm your address and i will box them up over the weekend and get the mrs to send them Monday,will pm back my addy and you send a cheque if that suits.

98tls
11th July 2013, 23:27
[Edit 2]: Forgot to ask, is the thingy to connect it to the bracket included as well?

Yep theres the hangers that came with them as in X 2.He also sent me a decibal killer (1 only,he couldnt find the other) that fits easily.

nzspokes
11th July 2013, 23:29
send a cheque if that suits.

Do they still exist?

Cant remember last time I saw one.

Vinz0r
11th July 2013, 23:33
Call it an even $120 mate,am in Oamaru so its there or there about.Not sure how we work out payment,ive been buying and selling bike stuff for years but its all been offshore so have used paypal which it seems not many use here,pm your address and i will box them up over the weekend and get the mrs to send them Monday,will pm back my addy and send a cheque if that suits.

$120 sounds great. I actually have paypal so I'm happy to use that if you'd like. Otherwise we can do internet banking, but I think paypal has better transfer times.

98tls
11th July 2013, 23:36
Do they still exist?

Cant remember last time I saw one.

:laugh:I hear that,i am old and set in my ways so its the first thing i thought of,gets worse i have used paypal with no problems for years but fucked if anyone can get me to do the internet banking thing...:no::laugh::weird:

98tls
11th July 2013, 23:40
$120 sounds great. I actually have paypal so I'm happy to use that if you'd like. Otherwise we can do internet banking, but I think paypal has better transfer times.

Beauty,pm your address mate,will get them away on Monday,will pm you on Monday evening to let you know they have been sent.Will pm you my pp addy now then its off to watch the Ashes (yea im that old) as the poms are kicking stralian arse.

98tls
11th July 2013, 23:54
:niceone:Ta,paypal addy sent and as per pm will let you know there on there way.

98tls
12th July 2013, 00:04
:laugh:Bloody hell,your quick mate,payment received.:niceone:

Drew
12th July 2013, 06:53
You're probably best to try and use a GSXR midpipe, and have it welded on down low to still look pretty. The adaptors I've seen to swap from three to four bolts are fuckin ugly.

roogazza
12th July 2013, 08:58
I've always thought the old Bandit a good looking bike. I should have kept mine looking back but I did keep all my bits to make another, one day.
The headers in the first photo are Yoshi copies I had made after researching. (Damon who was in Taita, Hutt Valley did them). Cost me $800 but I knew they'd work cos my mate had the originals.
Pm me if you want details, I recorded everything I did and the result. I removed 30kg together with the use of carbon. (the body work and front guard are carbon).
Stage 3 Jet kit, early gsxr1100 cams, Head work incl comp.Approx 135 at the tyre.

T.W.R
12th July 2013, 10:22
This is from a group that went all out in the search of what could be got.

107.5 main jets (up from the 102.5 stock)

40.0 pilot jets (up from the 37.5 stock)

Suzuki race kit needles (same as fitted to GSX-R750RR) set at 2nd richest clip (very long needle)

Yoshimura ignition advancer (running 4deg advance)

GSX-R1100 cams

stock spec airbox with a K&N filter (50mm inlet rather than the 65mm enlargement trick)

Skorpion mid pipe & can

Result measured on a dynajet 150 dynometer

29hp extra over stock, more power from 4300rpm & still pulling like a train at redline.

Enough to pull over 260km/h down eastern creek main chute

:cool:

These guys used all options available at the time including all the fancy name brand items and the result of this blend was the best of the lot; a 11hp increase over the wank factor big label items.

Banditbandit
12th July 2013, 10:46
You can also get Yoshimura cams - which give even more horses that the GSX1100 cams ...

Go here .. look around - I think there is more than one .. different cuts ...

http://shop.yoshimura-jp.com/en/product/syousai.php?id=874

I have heard of a GS1200SS (basically a Bandit enguine) getting 160 horses with the above mods plus a Yoshi cam ... but I can't say that figure is true ... only hearsay ...

I know what you mean about the Ventura rack .. when I don't need to carry luggage I swap the large rack for this one .. and put the sports bag on it ...

http://www.ventura-bike.com/images/general/sportrack2-tn.jpg

http://www.ventura-bike.com/images/products/220-tn.jpg

I run a Beowulf can on my 1250 .... wonderful sound ... breathes easier and revs freely ...

Try these people - the prices are about the same as stuff here .. and sometimes a bit cheaper (even with p and p added)... I find them good value and quick - seven days from clicking "buy" to in my letter box .. (they stock Beowulf and Skorpian cans)

http://www.justbandits.com/

Drew
12th July 2013, 10:56
Fuck changing cams and pissing around. Pipe, jets, filter, go do wheelies!

Morcs
12th July 2013, 12:13
110 Mains are more than enough with a can, timing advancer and some airbox modifications.

Vinz0r
12th July 2013, 15:24
110 Mains are more than enough with a can, timing advancer and some airbox modifications.

You're probably thinking of the 2000 onward bandits, pre 2000 uses a different carb setup.

Drew
12th July 2013, 16:39
You're probably thinking of the 2000 onward bandits, pre 2000 uses a different carb setup.Yip, the early ones run rich I was always led to believe. Set up for a pipe to go on it before it left the showroom.

TRE (timing retard elimiminator) is still worth it, if you like doing wheelies.

AllanB
12th July 2013, 21:35
Awesome thanks. Looks like you'd just chop the link pipe and attach that to the end.

Unbolt standard can - bolt on adaptor to 3 or four hole flange (order to suit) then the adaptor has a pipe out the back that most slip-ons, well, slip on to!

roogazza
13th July 2013, 09:58
You're probably thinking of the 2000 onward bandits, pre 2000 uses a different carb setup.
The dynojet Stage 3 uses 155 mains, but yes you must keep an eye on the emulsion tubes going oval.
You can go for bigger cams but then you have to change things like keepers and know what you're doing as far as V to p clearance when combined with compression.
The Gsxr cams give good drive for street use and are plenty really.My baby was often underestimated esspecially when the weight came off it.

PS don't forget you don't even need an ign advancer, just slot the backing plate ! Ten minutes with a small round file, done .
Of course if you are going to give it compression you may want to forget about advancing the ign ???

T.W.R
13th July 2013, 11:53
This is from a group that went all out in the search of what could be got.

107.5 main jets (up from the 102.5 stock)

40.0 pilot jets (up from the 37.5 stock)

Suzuki race kit needles (same as fitted to GSX-R750RR) set at 2nd richest clip (very long needle)

Yoshimura ignition advancer (running 4deg advance)

GSX-R1100 cams

stock spec airbox with a K&N filter (50mm inlet rather than the 65mm enlargement trick)

Skorpion mid pipe & can

Result measured on a dynajet 150 dynometer

29hp extra over stock, more power from 4300rpm & still pulling like a train at redline.

Enough to pull over 260km/h down eastern creek main chute

:cool:

These guys used all options available at the time including all the fancy name brand items and the result of this blend was the best of the lot; a 11hp increase over the wank factor big label items.

All of the above was essentially plug and play items on a 1997 Bandit in a series of 4 articles called OPERATION BANDIT including suspension etc. They got to the point were they admitted pushing the bike beyond it's intended design with the front end being totally overwhelmed and being able to flex the steering head of the frame :msn-wink:

Vinz0r
13th July 2013, 12:26

Would be pretty keen to take a look at these instructions as I think the stage 1 kit they provide is veeeery similar interms of jets to what I am running.

Vinz0r
13th July 2013, 12:29
All of the above was essentially plug and play items on a 1997 Bandit in a series of 4 articles called OPERATION BANDIT including suspension etc. They got to the point were they admitted pushing the bike beyond it's intended design with the front end being totally overwhelmed and being able to flex the steering head of the frame :msn-wink:

Pretty cool what they were able to achieve, when cash ain't an issue the sky's the limit huh?
One thing I have noticed suspension wise is that the front fork springs need replacing, or maybe pop some thicker oil in there; putting the GSXR shock in the rear has really just highlighted the sponginess of the front.

nzspokes
13th July 2013, 15:27
Would be pretty keen to take a look at these instructions as I think the stage 1 kit they provide is veeeery similar interms of jets to what I am running.

I presume you have been here? http://www.holeshot.com/

For the forks I got some 1.0 springs off him and new fork oil. Huge improvement.

Remembered that the instructions I have are for the gen 2 but if you want them pm me your email and I will fire them through.

T.W.R
13th July 2013, 16:10
Pretty cool what they were able to achieve, when cash ain't an issue the sky's the limit huh?

:nono: That was then, this is now... that was a project in what could be done and to show people what the various options would achieve, the list shows the best results of what blends they put together....and be assured they ditched plenty of the bling bling parts because apart from denting the pocket they proved to do sweet F/A

The big name shit only achieved 116hp and they even dumped Ohlins because as they said in the real world the items they used offered just as much dialability and suitability for the bike.

:wacko: and you've been listening to muppets bleating about yoshi cams and other big name goodies :lol: just think in today's world 4 needles that were $14 a piece, 4 jets probably the same sort of cost, 2nd hand GSX-R1100L cams for a few hundred, and a ignition advancer for roughly a hundy and the cans off Mike you're pretty much there for what the cost of less than one Yoshi cam :rolleyes: and a bit of elbow grease and you'd be laughing.

Remember it isn't how deep your pockets are that makes you a motorcyclist, it's what you can do with what you've got ;)

98tls
13th July 2013, 18:06
Hey Vin i got caught up doing shite today so never got a chance to measure the TL mid pipe,will do it tommorow and let you know.

Vinz0r
14th July 2013, 14:09
Remembered that the instructions I have are for the gen 2 but if you want them pm me your email and I will fire them through.

Ah right, nah it's alright, then Gen 1s and 2s are a bit too different. Thanks for the offer though.

I managed to find a copy of the Holeshot settings online and what I am currently running is pretty much exactly the same, so that's good!

Vinz0r
14th July 2013, 14:11
Hey Vin i got caught up doing shite today so never got a chance to measure the TL mid pipe,will do it tommorow and let you know.

Awesome cheers :D

I'm hoping it's going to be a slightly smaller outside diameter so it'll slip nicely into the Bandit midpipe.

Drew
14th July 2013, 14:41
Awesome cheers :D

I'm hoping it's going to be a slightly smaller outside diameter so it'll slip nicely into the Bandit midpipe.That's a lessd than ideal setup.

Exhausts should always sleeve small to bigger, with teh direction of the gas flow. If there's a lip the gas flow disruption means it can turn into a bad choke point. Pictur water in a narrowed part of a river. The water hitting the sides stops almost, making the bottle kneck tighter still.

AllanB
14th July 2013, 16:34
If they are slightly undersize a muffler shop will be able to carefully enlarge them to slip over the stock pipe.

fridayflash
14th July 2013, 16:36
Fuck changing cams and pissing around. Pipe, jets, filter, go do wheelies!

enjoying this thread, and drew just summed it up...im lookin for an early nakkid bandit now!
god i miss owning an air/oil cooled suzuki four, best inline 4 ever imo
...now which to sell, dr650 or gs1100g, fucken cheap!

Vinz0r
15th July 2013, 11:53
Exhaust from 98tls arrived today, looks bloody awesome on the bike. The flat black matches up nicely with the plasti-dipped parts.

I also had a look through the stock exhaust as I've noticed it has a bit of a rattle, it looks like a previous owner decided to try and open up some airflow through it! (They have an offset three chamber system to restrict airflow). Bit of a hatchet job, the thing's a shambles.

Now I just have to come up with a solution to attach the exhaust to the stock mid-pipe, the diameter of the muffler hole is smaller than the diameter of the link pipe, so I can't just chop the flange off the link pipe and slip it on.

Anyone have any bright ideas as to what would be the best way to attach it? I had a look at the adapter AllanB recommended but it's >$60 when shipping is added! Hoping to find a slightly cheaper solution haha.

I'm thinking that I might just chop off the three hole flange and have a 4 hole flange welded on instead.
This'd probably be the cheapest option, how much do ya reckon a bit of welding like that would cost me? I'm in Hamilton, can anyone recommend a welder?

http://iforce.co.nz/i/svx2k52z.rss.jpg

http://iforce.co.nz/i/z40isfgk.yxk.jpg

Busted internals of the stock exhaust:
http://iforce.co.nz/i/pdhthsla.02s.jpg

http://iforce.co.nz/i/vipt3bme.c3l.jpg

98tls
15th July 2013, 12:39
Damn that does look good eh,really suits the bike imho.Diameter of the S mid is 45mm with around 1.2mm wall if thats any help.Cant imagine the welding would cost much though in saying that im no welder,might be a bit more to it.

98tls
15th July 2013, 12:45
That's a lessd than ideal setup.

Exhausts should always sleeve small to bigger, with teh direction of the gas flow. If there's a lip the gas flow disruption means it can turn into a bad choke point. Pictur water in a narrowed part of a river. The water hitting the sides stops almost, making the bottle kneck tighter still.

Hey Drew is his idea of putting a 4 bolt flange on his oem pipe feasible?Other option is to cut a length of my old S (from the flange forward) and join it to his mid...

Vinz0r
15th July 2013, 13:17
Damn that does look good eh,really suits the bike imho.Diameter of the S mid is 45mm with around 1.2mm wall if thats any help.Cant imagine the welding would cost much though in saying that im no welder,might be a bit more to it.

Just had a bit of a closer look, it looks as though the link-pipe has a rather large OD (65mm) but is sleeved all the way through with a ~44mm pipe. This means that muffler is slightly wider than the pipe, which is good!

http://iforce.co.nz/i/t02ruo13.i2t.jpg

I'm just calling around at the moment to see if a muffler shop can replace the 4 hole flange on the exhaust with a 3 hole so I can just bolt it straight on to the link-pipe. That way I'll be able to easily swap back to the factory one if I have dB issues when getting a WoF.

I called 'The Muffler Shop' in Hamilton, they seemed interested until I mentioned it was for a motorcycle, then they told me to go and see Road and Sport, the local Harley Dealership :crazy:

Drew
15th July 2013, 14:19
Hey Drew is his idea of putting a 4 bolt flange on his oem pipe feasible?Other option is to cut a length of my old S (from the flange forward) and join it to his mid...

I think the better option is to replace his whole midpipe, with as much of your old pipe as possible.

I have the same issue on the RF. Bloody midpipe is double skinned and a kind of silencer in itself. So it's a mongrel to join anything to it nice and tidy like.

Vinz0r
15th July 2013, 14:48
I think the better option is to replace his whole midpipe, with as much of your old pipe as possible.

I have the same issue on the RF. Bloody midpipe is double skinned and a kind of silencer in itself. So it's a mongrel to join anything to it nice and tidy like.

Yeah it's going to be hard to do it nice and clean.
I think chopping the bolts off the muffler and attaching a three hole flange with a 58mm pipe welded on to slip the muffler on to is going to be the best bet.
I think that's the setup that those adapters from BanditMania run so may just have to go with one of those.

I called PitStop to see if they'd mind welding a flange on to the link-pipe but they wanted to charge me $160 for it so decided against that option!

98tls
15th July 2013, 15:22
Be interested to hear a sound clip when shes all done,wonder if you will need to use the decibal killer,wait and see i guess.

Drew
15th July 2013, 15:51
Be interested to hear a sound clip when shes all done,wonder if you will need to use the decibal killer,wait and see i guess.
I doubt it, if he uses the standard midpipe. My RF is quite disappointingly quite with no muffler at all.

The Reibz
15th July 2013, 15:51
I called PitStop to see if they'd mind welding a flange on to the link-pipe but they wanted to charge me $160 for it so decided against that option!

The Flange would have been mild steel and welded on using a supercheapauto gasless mig with the cheapest filler wire possible. Bird Poo'd to fuck by the apprentice no doubt.
Any TIG welder worth his weight should be able to do this and charge next to nothing if you provide the flange yourself. www.autobend.co.nz have a flange cataloge that they can lazer cunt for you. Has dimensions in it and everything.

A 6 pack of VB or $20 and I would weld that flange for you. Pipe fillet, doesn't get much simpler.

98tls
15th July 2013, 16:17
The Flange would have been mild steel and welded on using a supercheapauto gasless mig with the cheapest filler wire possible. Bird Poo'd to fuck by the apprentice no doubt.
Any TIG welder worth his weight should be able to do this and charge next to nothing if you provide the flange yourself. www.autobend.co.nz have a flange cataloge that they can lazer cunt for you. Has dimensions in it and everything.

A 6 pack of VB or $20 and I would weld that flange for you. Pipe fillet, doesn't get much simpler.

There you go Vin sorted:niceone:

Vinz0r
15th July 2013, 20:30

Cheers for the offer but I'm in Hamilton so would have to do a bit of a trip to come see ya. I've emailed a couple of local guys who specialise in turbo plumbing and whatnot so will see what they can do.
Might just end up selling these on and ordering the Bandit 1200 one as that comes with the link pipe haha.
Anyone after a set of mufflers for their SV1000 or TL1000? Only $120! :sweatdrop

[EDIT]: Also, that adapter from BanditMania won't bloody work due to the ridiculous diameter of the Bandit's midpipe!

nzspokes
15th July 2013, 20:36
Cheers for the offer but I'm in Hamilton so would have to do a bit of a trip to come see ya. I've emailed a couple of local guys who specialise in turbo plumbing and whatnot so will see what they can do.
Might just end up selling these on and ordering the Bandit 1200 one as that comes with the link pipe haha.
Anyone after a set of mufflers for their SV1000 or TL1000? Only $120! :sweatdrop

[EDIT]: Also, that adapter from BanditMania won't bloody work due to the ridiculous diameter of the Bandit's midpipe!

E-mail Dan at Dan Moto. He may sell you a mid pipe on its own.

Vinz0r
15th July 2013, 20:39
E-mail Dan at Dan Moto. He may sell you a mid pipe on its own.

Yeah I thought about doing that but I'd get reamed with shipping, and still would have to get the adapter flange welded on to it :(

nzspokes
15th July 2013, 20:43
Yeah I thought about doing that but I'd get reamed with shipping, and still would have to get the adapter flange welded on to it :(

No the mid pipe would go straight on, Plug and play. His postage costs are low. Its only an e-mail away.

Danmoto.webshop@gmail.com

98tls
15th July 2013, 20:47

:facepalm:Your making me feel guilty mate,if your happy with the can i would just take what you have to any exhaust outfit worth there reputation and get them to stitch it together,pity your not down here as even in this small town we have a bloke more than capable of doing it.

Vinz0r
15th July 2013, 20:55
:facepalm:Your making me feel guilty mate,if your happy with the can i would just take what you have to any exhaust outfit worth there reputation and get them to stitch it together,pity your not down here as even in this small town we have a bloke more than capable of doing it.

Haha sorry didn't mean to! I'm more than happy with the exhaust, it's great :2thumbsup! It's just the weird size of this bloody mid-pipe has thrown a spanner in the works, none of the slip on adapter kits will go over it! I'll work something out though, and this gives me a good reason to find a reputable local welder for future projects :D

98tls
15th July 2013, 20:59
Haha sorry didn't mean to! I'm more than happy with the exhaust, it's great :2thumbsup! It's just the weird size of this bloody mid-pipe has thrown a spanner in the works, none of the slip on adapter kits will go over it! I'll work something out though, and this gives me a good reason to find a reputable local welder for future projects :D

Always handy,generally i stay away from the big outfits and find some bloke working for himself,if theres some nice old school cars parked outside/in the shop your onto a winner.If you need a 4 bolt flange then its no problem for me to take one off that old system and send it up.

Drew
16th July 2013, 05:52
Always handy,generally i stay away from the big outfits and find some bloke working for himself,if theres some nice old school cars parked outside/in the shop your onto a winner.If you need a 4 bolt flange then its no problem for me to take one off that old system and send it up.I dunno if the four bolts will clear the pipe he has now anyway, come to think of it.

Best and easiest solution is to swap the midpipe.

T.W.R
16th July 2013, 08:09
Best and easiest solution is to swap the midpipe.

Ditto :yes:

A ZRX1200 mid pipe is the same dimension at the joiner flange & a 4 bolt mount :yes:

:lol: on a side note..... the stock cams on a pre 2000 bandit are exactly the same profile & duration as a 85 GSXR750 :whistle: interesting what shows up when doing a bit of digging ;)

Morcs
16th July 2013, 10:00
Ditto :yes:

A ZRX1200 mid pipe is the same dimension at the joiner flange & a 4 bolt mount :yes:

:lol: on a side note..... the stock cams on a pre 2000 bandit are exactly the same profile & duration as a 85 GSXR750 :whistle: interesting what shows up when doing a bit of digging ;)

Yeah but its the J and K model cams that you want ;)

roogazza
16th July 2013, 10:22

Yep Morcs I ran 89 'K' cams in mine. But seeing the difficulty this fellow is having with a mid pipe, I wouldn't like to see him tackle a cam change, it could get expensive.

T.W.R
16th July 2013, 12:01

:rolleyes: love to see a set of 750 cams slotted into a 11/1200 top end
And J series & K series GSXR11s are two totally different beasts

The truth of the matter is what exactly does vinz0r want ?? a splish splash miss match of bits n pieces that wont do much more than make noise & use more fuel or some simple well thought out mods that'll be beneficial??

Easiest way to make the bandit more exciting would have just been shorten up the gearing a few teeth

Apart form the mid pipe being double skinned the headers will be also so to get some bang going even a set of GsxR (G,H,J) headers would be more worthwhile then a slip-on would be a piece of piss mate up

Vinz0r
16th July 2013, 13:07
Hah, what I'm after is a nice smooth machine for road use that looks the tits. In terms of performance mods I'm really just going for a smooth torquey power delivery with maybe a bit more poke up top than stock. I think what I've done with jetting and airflow is tsking care of that nicely and the reason for the exhaust is to make more efficent use of the 127.5 jets.
to be honest for my uses I don't think its worth it to swap cams (although an ign advancer could be good..
One thing I really don't like is the crap suspension on this bike which is why I've put in the GSXR1000 shock. I think if I'm going to be spending a bit of cash on an upgrade its going to be fork springs.
The link pipe mismatch isn't reaaally a problem and there are plenty of easy fixes for it but I'm a super poor student so I'm trying to do it as cheap as possible!

Drew
16th July 2013, 14:44
One thing I really don't like is the crap suspension on this bike which is why I've put in the GSXR1000 shock. I think if I'm going to be spending a bit of cash on an upgrade its going to be fork springs.
K7/8 gixxer thou shock pretty much bolts straight in.

As for the front, springs and emulators, (if it isn't a cartridge fork model). It's like night and day, the difference this makes.

Failing that, K2/3 gixxer 600/750 front forks will go straight in your triple clamps I think, and your brakes and everything will bolt straight up. Cartridge style forks, and standard looks for fuck all right there.

98tls
16th July 2013, 16:31
K7/8 gixxer thou shock pretty much bolts straight in.

Failing that, K2/3 gixxer 600/750 front forks will go straight in your triple clamps I think, and your brakes and everything will bolt straight up. Cartridge style forks, and standard looks for fuck all right there.

Handy wee chart....

Vinz0r
16th July 2013, 17:30
which is why I've put in the GSXR1000 shock

Already got a K8 GSXR1000 rear in there, all it needed was spacing the dogbones and trimming a few plastic bits and pieces (and a decent whack with a hammer to get the bolt through, was about 1/2mm out with the wheel right on the ground on the centrestand).
Made a world of difference to the rear, but highlighted the squishiness of the front. Might look into a fork swap instead of going for the new springs, would probably be a much better upgrade for not a lot more $$.

Vinz0r
16th July 2013, 17:31
Handy wee chart....

Well that's bloody helpful, you probably just saved me about 40 hours of searching on the internets!

98tls
16th July 2013, 17:34
:banana:And so it begins,grab yourself a set of these while your at it...:msn-wink:

Madness
16th July 2013, 17:38
:banana:And so it begins,grab yourself a set of these while your at it...:msn-wink:

Then get ready to spend hours upon hours cleaning the cunty things.

:msn-wink:

Vinz0r
16th July 2013, 17:46

Carrozzerias? Damn those are sexy!
Unfortunately if I was going to drop $2k+ on bike accessories I don't think it'd be wheels just yet (Maybe $1500 on wheels and the other $500 to make my couch a bit more comfortable, as that's probably where I'd be sleeping) :P

98tls
16th July 2013, 17:51
Carrozzerias? Damn those are sexy!
Unfortunately if I was going to drop $2k+ on bike accessories I don't think it'd be wheels just yet (Maybe $1500 on wheels and the other $500 to make my couch a bit more comfortable, as that's probably where I'd be sleeping) :P

Fair enough to.Been throwing $ at my old thing for many many years,the mrs has just got used to it though every now and then i still hear "wouldnt it just make more sense to buy a new one:mad:"shes right of course.:msn-wink:

Drew
16th July 2013, 17:53
Fair enough to.Been throwing $ at my old thing for many many years,the mrs has just got used to it though every now and then i still hear "wouldnt it just make more sense to buy a new one:mad:"shes right of course.:msn-wink:But given the number of those dollars thrown, you couldn't sell the TL and feel good about it.

98tls
16th July 2013, 17:56
But given the number of those dollars thrown, you couldn't sell the TL and feel good about it.

Considering what i would get for it,really would then have been a waste of money.:pinch:

The Reibz
16th July 2013, 18:03
Turbo it... GT35 Garrett at 21psi should be more than enough for a few runs to the dairy...

98tls
16th July 2013, 18:14
Then get ready to spend hours upon hours cleaning the cunty things.

:msn-wink:

Correct there M,nasty fucking things they are and ive lost my share of skin on em.

Vinz0r
16th July 2013, 19:11
Been throwing $ at my old thing for many many years

Haha, ya gotta do something with ya money though right? What good is it doing sitting in your wallet. You can't ride your wallet.

98tls
16th July 2013, 19:17
Haha, ya gotta do something with ya money though right? What good is it doing sitting in your wallet. You can't ride your wallet.

Theres been times over the years that after a sizeable purchase i havent ridden anything for awhile...;)

Vinz0r
17th July 2013, 13:08
Decided to order the Bandit specific Jisu exhaust new as it comes with a wider ID mid-pipe (they wouldn't sell me the pipe seperately :() which hopefully will give it a bit more flow (and noise :eek:).
I'll do some before and after vids and a dB reading for you 98tls.

98tls
17th July 2013, 16:03
:niceone:Yep do that mate,got your pm,all good eh.

roogazza
17th July 2013, 19:15
How about some bob Carpenter headers, very hard to get hold of tho.
Good headers can be good for 4 or 5 horsepower alone and the weight saving on std Bandit is heaps.
But hey mine are just as good , just different.

AllanB
17th July 2013, 19:20
Candy supplied me with excellent headers once .......

98tls
17th July 2013, 19:22
Good headers can be good for 4 or 5 horsepower alone and the weight saving on std Bandit is heaps.
But hey mine are just as good , just different.

Got some more pics of that setup gaz?

98tls
17th July 2013, 19:23
Candy supplied me with excellent headers once .......

Bet your not the only one....

Drew
17th July 2013, 20:13
But hey mine are just as good , just different.4-5 horses from a set of headers alone, is prolly a stretch mate. Also, that tight u turn on no.4 pictured, would cause a hot spot that the others didn't get. Tuned length is important, but even exhaust temp is just as important. (I'm building a race motor for Scratcha...with a bit of help from someone experienced in wanking motors, so I've done a bit of reading about pipes).

98tls
17th July 2013, 20:23
4-5 horses from a set of headers alone, is prolly a stretch mate.

:shit::shit:Surely not,you must be wrong Drew ive seen the advertising many times "10hp just by fitting one of our cans".:laugh:

Drew
17th July 2013, 20:31
:shit::shit:Surely not,you must be wrong Drew ive seen the advertising many times "10hp just by fitting one of our cans".:laugh:
10 ponies was bulshit, it was tongue in cheek when I mentioned it. It is an incredible difference on those early ones, with a can fitted though. You'd swear it had raised comression, flat slides, cams, and CDI upgrades if you rode them back to back.

98tls
17th July 2013, 20:37
10 ponies was bulshit, it was tongue in cheek when I mentioned it. It is an incredible difference on those early ones, with a can fitted though. You'd swear it had raised comression, flat slides, cams, and CDI upgrades if you rode them back to back.

Didnt mean you ya Wally i meant for years ive :killingme at the claims from many exhaust manufacturers.

Drew
17th July 2013, 20:41
Didnt mean you ya Wally i meant for years ive :killingme at the claims from many exhaust manufacturers.No no, the claim wasn't from the exhaust manufacturer. It was from Suzuki.

Didn't even really matter what pipe you used...But since the faired ones all came with a free two brothers, and sounded PORN, why would anyone buy one?

98tls
17th July 2013, 20:45
, and sounded PORN, why would anyone buy one?

Funny you say that,i still reckon the 2 Bros cans they dished out with the TLS sound better than any aftermarket setup including my new M4 full system.

Drew
17th July 2013, 20:48
Funny you say that,i still reckon the 2 Bros cans they dished out with the TLS sound better than any aftermarket setup including my new M4 full system.I was going to say something similar. But given that the exhaust changes you've made on your bike are valued around three times what my bike owes me, I thought I'd keep it to myself.

98tls
17th July 2013, 20:55
I was going to say something similar. But given that the exhaust changes you've made on your bike are valued around three times what my bike owes me, I thought I'd keep it to myself.

:rolleyes:Am well aware of the madness re my TL Drew,dont ride the thing as much as i used to but every time i do i enjoy every penny,its an enjoyable thing full of character and goes well enough to make me chuckle every time,when parked amongst a sea of the latest n greatest it gets more than its share of attention though many probably wonder why anyone would....

Drew
17th July 2013, 21:01
:rolleyes:Am well aware of the madness re my TL Drew,dont ride the thing as much as i used to but every time i do i enjoy every penny,its an enjoyable thing full of character and goes well enough to make me chuckle every time,when parked amongst a sea of the latest n greatest it gets more than its share of attention though many probably wonder why anyone would....I don't question you bro. I love the TLs, and wouldn't question anyone tinkering with their bike...Unless you put a Harley motor in it, then we'll know you're gay...Two brothers pipes or not.

roogazza
18th July 2013, 08:00
Got some more pics of that setup gaz?
Thats the 3 that I have 98. I don't know if he makes them anymore but you could search him out. (Bob Carpenter)

Yes Drew, seemed a lot to me too when I was researching and there could be some doubts there. Although those figures were collected once head work and cams were in place so who knows ? The figures came from Dale Walker who was one of the original Bandit fiddlers. But the weight difference was impressive.

Dale Walker is a friendly fella and even answered my emails with his hard earned findings. That surprised me . This was 8yrs ago and I believe he is now modding 1250 Bandits.

98tls
18th July 2013, 17:21
Yum....nice stuff.Cheers.

AllanB
20th July 2013, 13:41
It the 80's you could wack on a aftermarket 4-1 onto your Jap IL4, raise the needles a notch or two (or rejet if you were serious...) a actually get a good 10% extra hp. They did not event have to be really good systems, can't remember the NZ maker that was popular (read cheap) but they were pretty basic stuff.

Drew
20th July 2013, 13:49
It the 80's you could wack on a aftermarket 4-1 onto your Jap IL4, raise the needles a notch or two (or rejet if you were serious...) a actually get a good 10% extra hp. They did not event have to be really good systems, can't remember the NZ maker that was popular (read cheap) but they were pretty basic stuff.
Raising the needles does fuck all for wide open throttle power. So 10% power increases at part throttle? That must be hard to measure.

AllanB
20th July 2013, 13:54
It was a lazy way to richen the carbs! I did state jets etc. Engines were a lot different then, easy to get cheap power out of. Darn things are so well made now you would be better off dropping a few k on some super light wheels.

Drew
20th July 2013, 14:00
It was a lazy way to richen the carbs! I did state jets etc. Engines were a lot different then, easy to get cheap power out of. Darn things are so well made now you would be better off dropping a few k on some super light wheels.Yeah, I was just being a cunt for old time sake.

Light weight wheels is universal in performance upgrade, but I get what you're saying.

T.W.R
20th July 2013, 14:57

:lol: Sagar exhaust and if your pockets were a bit deeper you'd get a megacycle unit from aussie :rolleyes:

Vinz0r
21st July 2013, 18:39
Can't fault Danmoto on their shipping times, exhaust arrived in NZ today, awaiting customs clearance now.

98tls
21st July 2013, 18:46
Light weight wheels is universal in performance upgrade, but I get what you're saying.

Best thing ive ever done with mine though if the intention wasnt to keep it a long time theres no way i would ave.

98tls
21st July 2013, 18:46
Can't fault Danmoto on their shipping times, exhaust arrived in NZ today, awaiting customs clearance now.

Was quick eh.look forward to seeing it on.

Vinz0r
22nd July 2013, 15:12
Soooo.. courier turned up at 7.30 this morning with the exhaust. I had an appointment at 10 and wanted to get it on before then so I could take it for a ride!

To start with I checked the difference in ID between the factory and new link-pipes. The new one was quite a bit bigger, woo!
http://iforce.co.nz/i/xcd2vjgz.dto.jpg

I then proceeded to swap them over but ran into a slight problem.. the new link pipe didn't come with the sleeve to enable it to fit nice and snug.
http://iforce.co.nz/i/sghrq0a1.5gr.jpg

I had a look at the old one as I thought that maybe I could just use that, it was rusted on there good and proper.
http://iforce.co.nz/i/5g22nqht.2qh.jpg

40 minutes later, my good friend WD40 and I had managed to get the bastard thing off. Screwdriver and hammer were required to slowly tap it down around the edges.
http://iforce.co.nz/i/35tdgz54.dpv.jpg
http://iforce.co.nz/i/mduts5qk.jc4.jpg

Got it onto the new pipe, everything bolted up nicely.
http://iforce.co.nz/i/4p3ajlv1.rlr.jpg

I then noticed that my center stand seemed to be a bit higher than usual, oh shit. The stopper bung for the stand had been attached to the old link-pipe.. now it was springing back and resting on the bottom of the rear shock. It looked a little too close to my chain so I took off the center stand :no:

I'll find somewhere else to mount a stopper bung, there are plenty of viable places. Center stand is far too useful to leave off.

After looking at the bike for a bit longer, I decided she'd look nicer without the pack rack bars (I don't use them very often anyway), so off they came.

Took her for a good run, was a little too lean down low but felt bloody excellent up top. I think she'd been running a little rich on the stock exhaust with the needle position and jet size I was using and this seems to have cleaned it up nicely. A slight mixture screw adjustment took care of the lean condition down low.

On the way back home I saw some poor chap with a 250 Keeway broken down on the side of the road. Seemed like a fueling issue so whipped the carb apart to see what was wrong, they're quite an odd setup: the accelerator cable is hooked straight up to the jet needle and raises/lowers it mechanically instead of using a vacuum diaphragm.
Turns out there was a slight blockage in the main jet, so blew that out and everything seemed fine.

While we were stopped there, 2 other bikers stopped to help/have a chat. Turned into quite the party.

I am really happy with how it's running (and looking).
I haven't had a chance to do a dB check and video yet but will get onto that ASAP. If I was to describe the change I'd say that it sounds similar at idle (maybe slightly louder) but the exhaust note when accelerating is now higher pitched and a lot more.. growly is how I'd describe it. Instead of the low pitch rumble it's a higher pitch growly scream. Sounds like a big IL4 should.
This is without the dB killer in.

Sorry about the shitty photo, will get some better ones up a little later.
http://iforce.co.nz/i/qpajzmdg.c5a.jpg

EDIT - Added more photos:

Some outside photos.

http://iforce.co.nz/i/ggci1trw.5jd.jpg
http://iforce.co.nz/i/2ogw05h1.ir3.jpg
http://iforce.co.nz/i/oaurzfdg.sfy.jpg
http://iforce.co.nz/i/f01ptpla.gf3.jpg
http://iforce.co.nz/i/xpmkqrbv.o2i.jpg
http://iforce.co.nz/i/ihlcf3zb.0ib.jpg

98tls
22nd July 2013, 18:46
Good on ya,a happy conclusion.Really does look good.

AllanB
22nd July 2013, 19:36
That shape suits the bike.

Vinz0r
16th August 2013, 13:14
Need some cash, so she's up for sale :(

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/160443-Awesome-Bandit-1200-for-sale!!?p=1130597982#post1130597982

Open to reasonable offers, or swaps with some cash my way.