PDA

View Full Version : GN250 clutch?

bosslady
13th July 2013, 14:03
When I had a riding lesson with an instructor (who is also a bike mechanic) a few weeks ago, he told me that at some time in the near future, my clutch will need replacing as I think he said it was making a ticking noise at the top? (my choice of words may not be entirely right). Anyway I kind of feel as if it is getting worse, not dramatically, but noticeably so. And although I'm not sure if this is related, sometimes it just stalls itself when I leave it running, doing nothing, regardless of how I adjust the idle speed, I'm sure it's never done that before.

Anyway what part exactly is he talking about and how much would it be?

willytheekid
13th July 2013, 14:35
clutch plates??...ticking?:confused:

Sounds more likely that the tappets may require adjusting (cheap job for a mechanic to do on a GN plus a general carb balance/tune...price depends on who does the work and there charges...should be less than $150ish)

As for the Clutch
...check your oil...is it quiet dark and smells "burnt"= possible scorched plates (Or just old oil!)
When in a high gear, if you crack the throttle open, does the bike just rev like crazy, then "grab" and start to accelerate = possible old clutch springs loosing there strength, or worn plates....a clutch kit is cheap for a GN, new springs and plate set.

Some reading material about your bike BL- (Yes its a safe link)
http://www.scribd.com/doc/5321965/GN250-Manual
its the online service manual for your bike...some good reading, and some handy tips etc just for your bike and its needs (can save you some coin on the small jobs)

...enjoy

blackdog
13th July 2013, 14:53
I'd check to make sure that fucking WOF inspector hasn't adjusted it.

unstuck
13th July 2013, 15:03
Sounds like willy has given you some sound advice there bossy.:niceone:

bosslady
13th July 2013, 15:33
clutch plates??...ticking?:confused:

Sounds more likely that the tappets may require adjusting (cheap job for a mechanic to do on a GN plus a general carb balance/tune...price depends on who does the work and there charges...should be less than $150ish)

As for the Clutch
...check your oil...is it quiet dark and smells "burnt"= possible scorched plates (Or just old oil!)
When in a high gear, if you crack the throttle open, does the bike just rev like crazy, then "grab" and start to accelerate = possible old clutch springs loosing there strength, or worn plates....a clutch kit is cheap for a GN, new springs and plate set.

Some reading material about your bike BL- (Yes its a safe link)
http://www.scribd.com/doc/5321965/GN250-Manual
its the online service manual for your bike...some good reading, and some handy tips etc just for your bike and its needs (can save you some coin on the small jobs)

...enjoy
Have got a manual printed out already but thanks for the link. I might email him to clarify what he meant. Oil should be ok? oil and filter changed 2000ks or less ago, but it's done this before that. Am also of course using correct oil, read somewhere gn doesn't like synthetic? it's had at least 3 oil and filter changes in the 8 or so months I've had it so I would hope it's not the oil but who knows. And no, no problem with bike grabbing that I've noticed anyway. Will read into the aforementioned tappets.

Crasherfromwayback
13th July 2013, 15:40
Have got a manual printed out already but thanks for the link. I might email him to clarify what he meant. .

Only clutch related thing that might *tick* I can think of is if maybe your clutch cable is frayed a bit at the top. Other than that...it's an engine noise of some sort. Either (as mentioned) a loose tappet or a rattly cam chain.

BuzzardNZ
15th July 2013, 12:19
I'd check to make sure that fucking WOF inspector hasn't adjusted it.

LOL :woohoo: :clap: :killingme