PDA

View Full Version : Feelers on Price...

Lord Pac
12th January 2004, 21:21
Ok- I'm requesting your expertise on prices!

The new R1 04 will be available soon so hit me back with what you think I'll get for my 01 R1- and if there are any potential buyers out there...

Specs-
R1 01 BLUE
everything is standard- immaculate showroom condition.
Reg serviced
new pirelli diablo front and rears- 120/70 and 180/55
Mileage- only 6200Km's hasn't been thrashed/abused- yet!!

BugSplat
17th January 2004, 10:14
I’m no expert but here’s my 0.02 worth.

Sad but true there’s a fairly limited market out there, even just run in supper bikes.

Dealers are clearing new 03 R1’s as low as $19,000, that’s 0 KM’s & full 2 years factory warranty.

Your bike’s already been off the showroom floor, subtract $2,000
It’s about to be 3 models old, so subtract say $4,000

That means you’re probably looking at a ballpark value of $13,000 if you can find a buyer ?, less if you'r tradeing :buggerd:

It’s not all bad news though; I’m in a similar dilemma, having a 2002 R1 that’s going in for its 60,000 km service this Wednesday.
I don’t know how strong my resolve will be when I see & ride the 04 R1 but I’m seriously considering taking the $10,000 ish that it’d cost me to upgrade and getting a second bike instead. (Sorry not a second R1… although the thought did cross my mind to save some ‘on road costs’ by getting a second bike same model & colour as the one I have… )

Keeping the 02 & getting a second bike would mean I escape the two year model update depreciation trap :bash: . The old R1’s not worth as much so my insurance is less & having 2 bikes I’d consider cutting back to 3Rd party insurance. That should more than cover the additional registration costs.

Just a thought, have you asked yourself "do I need more bike than the R1 I've already got" :confused: and if I wanted a second bike what would it be :banana:

Final thought, there's a lot of new toy's arriving this year (zx10r, R1, Blade...) the toy shops might have more realistic priceing on them by say October 04 than they will have on day 1 ?

marty
17th January 2004, 11:27
go to bikepoint. oh i'm already in there... :)

marty
17th January 2004, 11:31
here's something to make you weep:

http://www.bikepoint.co.nz/market/UsedBikeDetail.asp?BikeID=87464&Year=2003

http://www.bikepoint.co.nz/market/UsedBikeDetail.asp?BikeID=70839&Year=2001

http://www.bikepoint.co.nz/market/UsedBikeDetail.asp?BikeID=58051&Year=2000

Lord Pac
19th January 2004, 14:27
I Hear you!!

Thanks for your 2cents... had a look at bikepoint....

I'll advertise on trademe/b.point and t&e for about 15K- see if anyone bites otherwise I guess ill just keep it- as mentioned only done 6200kms so might as well start abusing it...

Thanks peeps!

750Y
20th January 2004, 12:52
mate, Your bike is worth around 12k on the private market. it'll get about 13 in a shop & a dealer will give You probably 10-11k as a trade. try trademe & motorcycle trader etc. at least you get a chance to market it well with a deserving color photo etc, sounds like it's a nice bike. good luck
just my .02

tlronny
20th January 2004, 13:18
Sadly R1's seem to have shocking resale value - i had a 2000 reg '99 'Blade and after 1 year I lost $8000 on it !!
Hopefully my 'Busa will fare better ?

Lord Pac
20th January 2004, 14:38
damn!! got 4cents now! :D

true- low resale value these days. i should take it into redbaron and see what they offer! :shit:

Ill post feedback if I get any calls or offers this weekend!

ciao

Hitcher
20th January 2004, 14:56
Sadly R1's seem to have shocking resale value - i had a 2000 reg '99 'Blade and after 1 year I lost $8000 on it !!
Hopefully my 'Busa will fare better ?
Fingers crossed! The way Suzuki discounts its own new products doesn't do much for their resale value -- or the resale value for other similar bikes either for that matter!
<_<

wkid_one
20th January 2004, 15:14
Hopefully my 'Busa will fare better ?This makes no sense - you speak R1 and then talk Blade?

Also - the new blade came in not long after you bought your bike......that is why you lost so much. Also - wasn't 99 the last year of the 16inch front?

Any bike past 2 years has bad resale for the sole reason that bike manu work on a 2 year development time frame. Take the 2002/2003 R1 - exactly the same bike mechanically only cosmetic changes

R1's aren't the only bike susceptible to this. Suzuki kill their used bike prices with the Summer Fest they have EVERY year - your Busa is likely to devalue immensely as a result of this. I could go out and buy a new 2003 GSXR for $18500 at the moment.

R1's seem more susceptible to this however as they make the most significant changes to their bikes with each change - along with Honda. Their development has been a huge step up on the previous bike - thereby depreciating the value in the previous bikes by a larger degree. If you take Suzuki by comparison - the GSXR has changed very little since the K1 - thereby the second hand models have retained a greater degree of value. But to offset this - Suzuki are the worst Manu to fuck their existing customers over by drastically reducing prices on new bikes - meaning their customers lose 'paper money' hand over fist

Also - the dollar has strengthened significantly over the last 12 months which has also had a reducing effect on new bike prices - which then flows on to the second hand market.

Also - you have 3 major manus producing new bikes this year, Kwak, Honda and Yam.

750Y
20th January 2004, 17:56
on the positive, it sounds like a very nice example of a legendary bike, New ones are a totally different price bracket, it's summer so there are more riders(potential buyers) wanting bikes and last year was a record for bike registrations(I think), so Now's a great time to be selling, especially while the new model prices are still way up high. best of luck with the sale Paco, truth is... we'd probably all love one if we could afford it.

Lord Pac
23rd January 2004, 16:25
just an update- checked with redbaron, they have an 01 r1 with 10K Kms @14.5K been on the floor for a little while- so we'll see wht happens with mine.

Thanks again for the feedback!

wkid_one
23rd January 2004, 17:44
SOunds about right - my 02 with 10k is selling for $17

georgedubyabush
27th January 2004, 10:34
http://www.trademe.co.nz/mcat-0001%2D0026%2D/page-3/0001-0026-1255-1285-/auction-8476129.htm

$10,000 for a '99 just popped up on Trademe.