PDA

View Full Version : Rear mudflap thingie

skelstar
22nd August 2005, 10:28
I have a big ugly plastic rear mudflap (whats the official name?) that I want to get rid of on my bike. I have a couple of question:

1. As far as I know theres no huggers for my bike, will that be a legal or practical problem (ie water getting flicked up etc)?
2. Are there regulations governing how indicators/plates/plate-lights are mounted etc at the back? Or are they fairly general?

Thanks for help in advance. I did have a look through previous posts but couldnt find anything. I would have searched but dont know what the damn ugly thing is called.

vifferman
22nd August 2005, 10:33
I have a big ugly plastic rear mudflap (whats the official name?) that I want to get rid of on my bike. I have a couple of question:
Mudguard.

1. As far as I know theres no huggers for my bike, will that be a legal or practical problem (ie water getting flicked up etc)?
Yes, you will get more water / road spooge flicked up.
For WOF purposes, you are supposed to have a rear mudguard. However, most places won't worry too much about it being cut off. Some bureacratic places like VINZ or testing stations may be more pedantic and picky about it though.

2. Are there regulations governing how indicators/plates/plate-lights are mounted etc at the back? Or are they fairly general?
Dunno about that, and good luck finding them! The main thing is that they are clearly visible from the rear, and that the numberplate is illuminated.

bugjuice
22nd August 2005, 10:54
a rear tyre hugger doesn't stop the water flicking up. It's design is to help aerodynamics at speed. I've taken off my rear monkey-butt-plastic thing when I first got it, and never had issues with the fuzz or WOFs. As long as the plate is visable, the flashers work and are visable, and the WOF and Rego are either relocated, or nearby the plate, you'll be fine.. new pic attached (and another excuse to show it off :bleh:)

skelstar
22nd August 2005, 10:59
This is what my bike is like[/url] (and another excuse to show it off :bleh:)
Nice bike Juice. I like how tidy it is at the back. Might have to do some metal folding at work this week...
BTW - is that a personalised plate? :)

bugjuice
22nd August 2005, 11:18
Nice bike Juice. I like how tidy it is at the back. Might have to do some metal folding at work this week...
BTW - is that a personalised plate? :)
yup..
The stock (http://www.holtugmc.dk/images/uds/Akrapovic-filer/ZX6R%2003%20med%20Akrapovic%20slip-on.jpg) tail is just fugly, so that had to go..

I made mine out of two number plate brackets. One is screwed into the original mounts (new holes had to be drilled), and then another bracket was faced 90° which holds the plate (WOF and Rego behind the plate), and the flashers hold the two brackets together. Cost was about $30 for the two in chrome (not the choice, the only thing they had, but doesn't look bad after all) and took about 30 mins from start to finish.. There are bracket kits available to just screw in place instead of doing your own. Wether or not they would fit your bike, that's another question.. You can get them from a few bike shops around (not sure which definately have them in at the mo), or most will be able to get them in for you, or if you can make up your own, or have someone help, then you'll be able to customize it to what you need..

White trash
22nd August 2005, 11:44
a rear tyre hugger doesn't stop the water flicking up. It's design is to help aerodynamics at speed.

Really? I thought they were to keep the back shock clean.

bugjuice
22nd August 2005, 11:51
Really? I thought they were to keep the back shock clean.
and that, but doesn't do a very good job on mine..

Uncle B
22nd August 2005, 22:34
I took a knife to my mudflap (see pics) and made my own bracket to hang the plate and indicators on.
If you do go this way, plan the whole thing through carefully first and make sure the bracket is plently sturdy. I used 2mm alloy and seems to be holding up fine.

banditboy
23rd August 2005, 18:30
Hye you can get a rear guard eliminator thing, they are on trademe at the mo, It looks pretty cool.

Zed
23rd August 2005, 19:06
I have a big ugly plastic rear mudflap (whats the official name?) that I want to get rid of on my bike. I have a couple of question:Are you sure you want to get rid of it altogether, or could you possibly just shorten it - give it a haircut with a sharp knife or saw? Got any pics?

2. Are there regulations governing how indicators/plates/plate-lights are mounted etc at the back? Or are they fairly general?I think you're required to have a licence-plate lamp and rear red reflector fitted. That photo of Bugjuices orange bike hasn't got either of those so he's tempting the law! If you look at the link he provided showing the stock mudguard of his bike you'll see there is a plate lamp and red reflector fitted as original equipment.

crazylittleshit
23rd August 2005, 20:35
I think you're required to have a licence-plate lamp and rear red reflector fitted. That photo of Bugjuices orange bike hasn't got either of those so he's tempting the law! If you look at the link he provided showing the stock mudguard of his bike you'll see there is a plate lamp and red reflector fitted as original equipment.
harden up :nono: :motu:

Coyote
23rd August 2005, 20:38
My CBR seems to have absolutely nothing in the back. No hugger or mudguard. Are they meant to have one?

crazylittleshit
23rd August 2005, 20:46
all you neeeeeed is a tire :devil2:

Brains
23rd August 2005, 21:46
They're basically an air brake, they only put them on the really fast bikes - so the question is, are you worthy?

On a more helpful note, most of my riding buddies have chopped the bottom of the 'air brake' off, and simply lifted the licence plate up a bit further on the 'air brake'. Just a long as you leave somewhere for a rear red reflector, and licence plate light, you will not get into any problems.

Happy cutting.

bugjuice
23rd August 2005, 22:04
I think you're required to have a licence-plate lamp and rear red reflector fitted. That photo of Bugjuices orange bike hasn't got either of those so he's tempting the law! If you look at the link he provided showing the stock mudguard of his bike you'll see there is a plate lamp and red reflector fitted as original equipment.
weeeeeeelllll, the rear light cannot be switched off, so the number plate is constantly lit. The rear light reflects back red when a head/light shines on it. It's got a recent WOFs under its belt.. in the year I've had it, I've never been stopped yet.. :bleh:

but you're right, if that's the law.. but I think they have better things to do somehow

bugjuice
23rd August 2005, 22:24
One Word... Hack Saw
dats 2... numbskull..

skelstar
23rd August 2005, 23:03
Yeah, hacksaw. Might be the go. If I get around to it I think ill take some pics tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated.

skelstar
25th August 2005, 11:10
Ok, its not very tidy, the aluminium is not painted yet, but the fricken ugly mudguard has gone!!! Woo hoo!!!

Its prototype number one and the second version might hide some of the bad hacksawing that I made. Woops :).

Would have to say that the biggest issue was how to mount the white-shiny-down-on-the-license-plate light. Not ideal but will addressed in the next iteration.

Thanks for the advice though guys. Photos attached.

bugjuice
25th August 2005, 12:39
nice one. Doesn't look anything wrong with that from the pics...

skelstar
25th August 2005, 14:24
nice one. Doesn't look anything wrong with that from the pics...
Yeah its not too bad but between the stop light and 'red tape covered' plate-light is a pretty ugly hacksaw cut. Might take it to a plastic welder once I sort out version 2.

Zed
25th August 2005, 19:15
Ok, its not very tidy, the aluminium is not painted yet, but the fricken ugly mudguard has gone!!! Woo hoo!!!

Its prototype number one and the second version might hide some of the bad hacksawing that I made. Woops :).

Would have to say that the biggest issue was how to mount the white-shiny-down-on-the-license-plate light. Not ideal but will addressed in the next iteration.

Thanks for the advice though guys. Photos attached.Looks okay skelstar, but would be better if you could find another place to mount your 'hanging' wof & rego! ;)

skelstar
25th August 2005, 20:51
Looks okay skelstar, but would be better if you could find another place to mount your 'hanging' wof & rego! ;)
Indeed. Was the last thing to attach. It was a 'where am I going to stick this?'. Just temporary....honestly ;)

bugjuice
25th August 2005, 22:50
mine is upside down behind the plate. It's not 'ideal' and can be ticketed by cops with an arseache, and traffic warden.. But, I've had my bike recently go thru a WOF exactly as the pic shows, and it was never questioned..

skelstar
25th August 2005, 22:56
I was thinking about doing that but thought it might get a) wet and b) covered in oil. Will modify next bracket to suit.

bugjuice
25th August 2005, 22:59
a) so, and b) so.. they have plastic covers, so just clean them once in a while

skelstar
25th August 2005, 23:01
Fair enough. Just thought the water might get in and make the ink run.

bugjuice
25th August 2005, 23:08
the rego is printed, and won't run or discolour etc. The WOF sticker will run and/or fade. But then there's the holes to show the month, and the year is printed. That won't fade off. When the month comes round, then you'll be getting it redone soon enough, so it's ok.. plus if the cops really wanted to know, it's all on computer anyway

skelstar
25th August 2005, 23:12
Awesome. Thats thinking. Two less cuts in the Al on the next bracket. Cool. Thanks Juice.

SportsBikes NZ
28th August 2005, 09:19
Hey guys, Im the guy who sells the elliminater brackets. I found that the easiest way to fit is on the rigid gaurd plastic. Just leave about a 2 inch piece to mount the bracket too. The backets are good abd do sharpen up the look. View my bike at my profile here or see it on fairing set on trade me. Good to see people customising. Kitt :Punk: :spudflip:

Zed
28th August 2005, 09:43
Hey guys, Im the guy who sells the elliminater brackets. I found that the easiest way to fit is on the rigid gaurd plastic. Just leave about a 2 inch piece to mount the bracket too. The backets are good abd do sharpen up the look. View my bike at my profile here or see it on fairing set on trade me. Good to see people customising. Kitt :Punk: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/images/smilies/spudflip.gifHi Mr SportsBikes, and welcome to KiwiBiker! :spudwave:

I like how you've fully faired your SV, and you're website looks like it contains lots of goodies. How do your prices compare to the overseas market, would it be cheaper buying through you rather than from America/UK over the Net? :spudwhat:

Zed

SportsBikes NZ
28th August 2005, 11:06
weeeeeeelllll, the rear light cannot be switched off, so the number plate is constantly lit. The rear light reflects back red when a head/light shines on it. It's got a recent WOFs under its belt.. in the year I've had it, I've never been stopped yet.. :bleh:

but you're right, if that's the law.. but I think they have better things to do somehow

Hey guys, anyone looking at cutting gaurds, make sure you leave enough of a spurr to allow for fine tuning for detail. The one above is correct in my opinion as it also leave enough of a tail to protect the tail light from stones. It is also easy to sand and leave a proffesional finish ready for a plate bracket. :clap:

skelstar
29th August 2005, 13:18
Thought I would post a followup. Went for a ride on my day off (friday) and ended up getting the plate slammed by the rear-wheel and folded back (a couple of times). Lost my Rego at one stage. Ened up spending the day at work making a new bracket. So now the plate is mounted MUCH higher and the rear is MUCH tidier as a result. Just have to tidy the hacksaw job and seal off the 'cavity' I created by cutting the tail off. Will post a pic soon.

So question: Juice, does your tailight get shit all over it from the water flicking up off the wheel on a wet day?

bugjuice
29th August 2005, 13:37
yeah, pretty much, but then it's just water. If you've gone thru a particulally dirty stretch, just wipe it off while it's still wet, or get a damp cloth every so often and wipe it clean. It's not often I have to do that, mainly thru the winter, but the weather has really picked up lately, so I don't think I'll need to do any additional washing than what I'd normally do anyway. Plus, the light still shines thru ok..