PDA

View Full Version : The World's Slowest Suzuki (Project)

blackdog
18th July 2013, 19:25
In the Modification Forum, because we fought so hard for it.

So this old girl doesn't deserve to be parted out, and I have an affinity to the model as the bike of my 14 year old dreams.

Right then. As the title suggests, this ain't going to happen quickly. Here are the first pics before getting it in back in the shed, a good chance to evaluate what is going to need sorting before it is a roadworthy machine again.

unstuck
18th July 2013, 19:27
Invisible motorcycle love it, wont need a license on that one.;)

blackdog
18th July 2013, 19:36
Front end will be the first thing to get a refurb. Steering head bearings were long overdue, and the fork seals are leaking.

I hate to ask advice here because a simple fork service would suffice, but I will anyway. Is it viable to update with later model forks without messing with every thing else too much (brake mounts etc)?

Yes, google is my friend. So are you lot so I'm only posting this so we can enjoy it together.

That, and I need a photographic record so I know where all the bolts go back in.

blackdog
18th July 2013, 19:37
Invisible motorcycle love it, wont need a license on that one.;)

Patience. These smart phones are fucking smarter than me.

bogan
18th July 2013, 19:39
Front end will be the first thing to get a refurb. Steering head bearings were long overdue, and the fork seals are leaking.

I hate to ask advice here because a simple fork service would suffice, but I will anyway. Is it viable to update with later model forks without messing with every thing else too much (brake mounts etc)?

Yes, google is my friend. So are you lot so I'm only posting this so we can enjoy it together.

That, and I need a photographic record so I know where all the bolts go back in.

I think there is a front end compatibility list floating around somewhere, thing like tube diameter and maybe caliper mounts...

blackdog
18th July 2013, 19:41
10 mfclafc

blackdog
18th July 2013, 19:52
Right. So if you have been paying attention, you will also see that the next order of business is the side cover I ground through in my last little low side.

It's currently with a gentleman that reckons he can do a repair. If he can, my recommendation will be up shortly.

Failing that, a replacement will be found on this ebay thingy.

HenryDorsetCase
18th July 2013, 19:59
nice. subscribing. keep us posted. :)

blackdog
18th July 2013, 20:02
So, 'what will it look like?' I hear you ask.

I have all the original plastics in pretty good nick for it. The original tank too (still on it in the pics obviously) that I will keep aside for if it is ever really worth anything in the future. In the mean time, I have a full second set of plastics and tank that will be getting the treatment.

Call me a wanker if you will, but I have a full set of Lucky Strike Schwanz decals for it.

If you are lucky (haha) I'll take some photos of them tomorrow for you, if I can be bothered.

fridayflash
18th July 2013, 20:09
is that a j or k model semfiddy?

blackdog
18th July 2013, 20:17
is that a j or k model semfiddy?

J. The only original parts I haven't got for it are the headers and cans. The cycleworks jobby on it is awesome enough, so I am keeping it. Emery tape and enamel is also on the short term list.

Obviously, I wouldn't be wanker enough to drill the badge off it and replace it with a 'Yangshimura'.

Yeah, okay the indicators and mirrors are in bits. I still have them!

fridayflash
18th July 2013, 20:26
the j and k's came with twin pipes from memory? but the L went back to a 4 in 1 which always looks best i reckon
cool project man, the slab siders get some attn as a classic but of course these are next!
i remember guys taking the lower fairings off get a bit more ground clearance, and fitting a k model
shock or modding the shock mount for the same reason

Drew
18th July 2013, 20:32
:corn:

Watching.

blackdog
18th July 2013, 20:33
the j and k's came with twin pipes from memory? but the L went back to a 4 in 1 which always looks best i reckon
cool project man, the slab siders get some attn as a classic but of course these are next!
i remember guys taking the lower fairings off get a bit more ground clearance, and fitting a k model
shock or modding the shock mount for the same reason

Yup, the twin pipes were always the first thing to go in the bin.

It has had a shock replacement in it's life at some stage, and I never had any questions from it when I was riding it. The front however left a lot to be desired. I guess when I have that sorted I will want to revisit the back, but at this stage it's along way down the list.

blackdog
18th July 2013, 20:34
:corn:

Watching.

If only I had the moolah to get Stoney's back from Ivan. Would make a very nice parts store.

In fact, one on the road and one in posties. I'm allowed my dreams.

Kornholio
18th July 2013, 23:18
I owned a K for a bit(RIP), that had the 4 into 1 sounded pretty mean... god I wish I got a steering damper for it, got more headshake than shark in a feeding frenzy which would force to discs to push the brake pistons right back where they come from... handy when you go to use the brakes next :mad:

Anyway I have 2 side panels for the K model painted bleck(each side) If they will fit you can have em cheap as... let us know(will have to find them amongst a lot of junk)

Drew
19th July 2013, 05:48
If only I had the moolah to get Stoney's back from Ivan. Would make a very nice parts store.

In fact, one on the road and one in posties. I'm allowed my dreams.

It's on trademe at the moment. I think Ivan sold it to Mal, who is now selling it because he doesn't have time.

blackdog
28th September 2013, 17:22
It's on trademe at the moment. I think Ivan sold it to Mal, who is now selling it because he doesn't have time.

I did bump into it on trademe at some stage over the last few months, but no idea who got it and what sort of a bargain it was.

New cover arrived during the week, so I'll grab a gasket and hopefully have it back to a runner next weekend.

If there aren't too many diagnoses required then I can concentrate on making it pretty again.