PDA

View Full Version : Places to ride in Auckland? (diggernz)

diggernz
19th July 2013, 22:33
Hi All,
Recently moved to Auckland and looking for nice rides/routes for my DRZ400SM 2008. Any suggestions?

Thanks

blackdog
19th July 2013, 23:28
Queen street has a perfect gradient for wheelies.

Voltaire
20th July 2013, 11:20
there are some nice backroads between Albany and Helensville, Kumeu to Piha, SH 16 is ok if you get out early on the weekend.
South, off at Papakura and right, loop around behind Pukekohe, down to Mercer, over the motorway and back up around the Hunuas.
That's a couple of my favs for outings on my old bikes.
Welcome to KB, where you get a mix of ribbing and useful stuff....lots of the former and less of the latter.:rolleyes:

Road kill
20th July 2013, 17:29
Head out to Waiuku and take Awhitu rd to the top of the Manukau Penisula,big bay,Grahams beach,the new light house ect ect ect.

The road is in pretty good condition at the moment and is best ridden during the week so you can avoid the visiting Aucklanders that will tail gate you until you get to about 110-120kph which is about where they find they can't drive to save themselves after all.

50 odd Kms to the light house and a couple of alternative routes can be taken on the way back once you get south of Pollock.

There's also quite a few side roads to explore,some of which loop back onto Awhitu rd.

On a bike like yours you could head out from Waiuku to Kariotahi beach and ride up to Hamiltons gap then onto Awhitu rd about half way up the peninsula,,,but only at low tide an don't mess about sight seeing because you can get stranded if you get your timing wrong.

Good luck.

fridayflash
20th July 2013, 17:32
or you could fit a 21" front wheel and knobblies all round and check out the dirty roads too....

Akzle
20th July 2013, 20:27
Kariotahi beach and ride up to Hamiltons gap then onto Awhitu rd about half way up the peninsula,,,but only at low tide an don't mess about sight seeing because you can get stranded if you get your timing wrong.

. .

diggernz
20th July 2013, 23:12
Thanks for the great feedback and ideas. Will definitely take a look. Just worked out how to use multiple waypoints on the iPhone for GPS directions. So should be a no brainer getting to these locations.
May have to wait until I'm a bit more up to speed on wheeling this thing, until I tackle Queen St :)