PDA

View Full Version : My battery died

Night Falcon
20th July 2013, 18:33
Went to start the 690 this morning (first time in 3 weeks) in preparation for next weekends MMMM ride, and it no start :no: problem appears to be a flat battery.

I fitted new Motobatt battery exactly 364 days ago and to date it has been problem free.... anywho... I put it on the charger and tested it at 13.5V so put it back in the ktm but still not enough power in it to even turn it over.

There wasn't even enough power to get the horn to work so I removed the headlight fuse which got the horn to work so am convinced the battery is deceased even though the meter says otherwise. Have emailed the folks who sold me the battery to see if it is warranted so hopefully I can get it sorted by next weekend.

Can anyone tell me if its common for batteries to show full charge even if they are poked? I still have the original battery which I know to be dead so tested that and it showed 10.5 volts and its been sitting under a bench for a year.

granstar
20th July 2013, 18:48
Be interested in replies re longitivity. I fitted one to my Triumph, had a short in the wiring and it died after only 300k's. Was fuckd ...so buckled had a job getting it out of the battery box.:no:
Fitted one to my XJ same time and so far so good, must be close to a year now. Have only trickle charged it a few times and only for a few hours. read somewhere to not over charge with the new type chargers that you plug in an leave on, I stand to be corrected if i'm wrong there. I do know with these chargers you still have to check the acid levels on standard batteries as they can run dry = fukd

Drew
20th July 2013, 19:09
Hmm, that's the opposite of my Motobatt in the RF. I leave it alone for months on end, and three years later it still starts the old girl.

Sounds like yours is fucked though. Did it still read 13.5 volts after you tried to start the bike?

Ed should be along shortly though, followed by everyone who doesn't like him. So enjoy the quiet while you can.

Night Falcon
20th July 2013, 19:19
Hmm, that's the opposite of my Motobatt in the RF. I leave it alone for months on end, and three years later it still starts the old girl.

Sounds like yours is fucked though. Did it still read 13.5 volts after you tried to start the bike?

Ed should be along shortly though, followed by everyone who doesn't like him. So enjoy the quiet while you can.

dropped to 11.95v after first few blasts on the starter....finally levelled off at 11.5V; should be easily enough power to crank the 690 over but it barely activates the starter relay - peeee oaked 1 day before its 1st birfdee <_<

Kickaha
20th July 2013, 19:21
Can anyone tell me if this its common for batteries to show full charge even if they are poked?

No it isn't

Test the voltage as you hit the starter button

Gremlin
20th July 2013, 19:25
peeee oaked 1 day before its 1st birfdee <_<
A year has 365 days, not 356 ;) Should be covered by warranty easily, normally the aftermarket batteries have a multi-year warranty.

Provided there isn't something else wrong (fuses, wired it correctly?) my only thought is that modern bikes (especially euros) are like cars. If the battery isn't within a specific band, then zip, nada, no start.

bogan
20th July 2013, 19:27
Sounds like plate sulphation (seems to charge but reduced power output), a desulphation charger might sort it out as it's not an old battery. Even just a prolonged charge might yeild results but I'd still be looking for a desulphation charger; check specific for MotoBatt stuff though, as there may be warranty clauses relating to such chargers.

Night Falcon
20th July 2013, 19:32
No it isn't

Test the voltage as you hit the starter button

cheers will test it tomorrow and report. I know batteries can do odd things when there on the way out but had herd these Absorbed Glass Mat batteries die without much warning.

Go the Crusaders

Night Falcon
20th July 2013, 19:48
A year has 365 days, not 356 ;) not every year is the same for us dyslexics....some years there's 563 days other times it 635..... :laugh:

Provided there isn't something else wrong (fuses, wired it correctly?) my only thought is that modern bikes (especially euros) are like cars. If the battery isn't within a specific band, then zip, nada, no start.

shouldn't be anything else wrong as it was all sweet 3 weeks ago and hasn't been touched since, maybe my long suffering brides been sneekin it out for a few rides or it could be the 690 is just sulking cos the Beta is getting all the attention :scratch:

scumdog
20th July 2013, 19:56
cheers will test it tomorrow and report. I know batteries can do odd things when there on the way out but had herd these Absorbed Glass Mat batteries die without much warning.

Go the Crusaders
'er-indoors Sporty started OK at Clyde, we stopped for piccy taking at the other end of the Cromwell Gorge and when we got back on our bikes (20 minutes after the last start-up) the battery didn't want to know.

Even shorting across both terminals with crescent couldn't produce a spark - it was that dead.

Akzle
20th July 2013, 20:09
yeah id go the zapper technique first. Then buy a new batt anyway cos that ones fucked.
Prob has low internal resistance, so shows up v but cunt deliver a.

pomgolian
20th July 2013, 20:11
"shouldn't be anything else wrong as it was all sweet 3 weeks ago and hasn't been touched since" :rofl: Oh how many times i heard that from customers.

Hi Marty as long as your meter is any good stick on on the battery & crank, if the voltage drops quickly the battery is rooted
if not there may be something else wrong, check the earth point then some old fashion diagnosis reqd if still no good, let me know if you need a hand.

Waipukbiker
20th July 2013, 20:19
Yeah, A stuffed battery can show a full voltage when its charged, Its when an electrical load is required from it is when the problem shows up, A good battery will only drop 1 to 1.5 volts even under a heavy amp load, Have the headlight on when you crank it over, if the battery is stuffed , the headlight will go very dim, That,s caused by a big voltage drop.
Some of the latest smart chargers can apparently bring a tired battery back to life but after having 1st hand experience at push starting a certain orange beastie, need I say more mate? By the way, going to check out a car in Ayrshire st/dve/place whatever for my daughter tomorrow arvo so might see if your home.

Night Falcon
20th July 2013, 20:24
"shouldn't be anything else wrong as it was all sweet 3 weeks ago and hasn't been touched since" :rofl: Oh how many times i heard that from customers.

Hi Marty as long as your meter is any good stick on on the battery & crank, if the voltage drops quickly the battery is rooted
if not there may be something else wrong, check the earth point then some old fashion diagnosis reqd if still no good, let me know if you need a hand.

cheers Paul....I have a real flash meter with buttons an dials all over it, auto digital readout and its Crusaders colours red and black so got to be reliable :shifty: Will have a play around tomorrow afternoon but might give ya a call if I get stuck. Bridged the starter relay contacts with a spanner, to test if the starter motor was getting any juice which it was but not enough to make it dance :wari:

Night Falcon
20th July 2013, 20:39
Yeah, A stuffed battery can show a full voltage when its charged, Its when an electrical load is required from it is when the problem shows up, A good battery will only drop 1 to 1.5 volts even under a heavy amp load, Have the headlight on when you crank it over, if the battery is stuffed , the headlight will go very dim, That,s caused by a big voltage drop.
Some of the latest smart chargers can apparently bring a tired battery back to life but after having 1st hand experience at push starting a certain orange beastie, need I say more mate? By the way, going to check out a car in Ayrshire st/dve/place whatever for my daughter tomorrow arvo so might see if your home.

will have the billy on and the spanners out :D

pomgolian
20th July 2013, 20:57
could just stick one of those reliable DR batteries on it to eliminate the battery <_<

Night Falcon
20th July 2013, 21:20
could just stick one of those reliable DR batteries on it to eliminate the battery <_<

like Bear Grilles getting a heart transplant from Stan Ogden :blink:

AllanB
20th July 2013, 21:55
Had a Motobatt in mine since 09 - going well still.

pomgolian
20th July 2013, 22:32
:laugh::laugh:
like Bear Grilles getting a heart transplant from Stan Ogden :blink:

R650R
20th July 2013, 23:41
Sounds ferked to me, same symptons as the Lead acid one in my gsxr after its epic seven year tour of duty.
Mine would resurrect itself after a recharge and then randomly die on later rides, you don't want that on the MMMMM.
If you get over Napier way I highly recommend this guy http://www.williamsautoelectrical.co.nz/ done great deal on bike battery and has done work on wagon also. On Carlyle street.
Might pay to check your regulator too in case its cooked the battery...

GPS MAN
21st July 2013, 08:00
Good Luck ~ Marty!!!

I put an Optima in my KLR..been going great for 2 years...even when sitting for long periods...

Edbear
21st July 2013, 14:56
Sorry I'm late to the party, guys... :whistle:

Akzle
21st July 2013, 15:35

we deliberately sent your invitation to the wrong place.

duckonin
21st July 2013, 17:33

Who the 'fuck' cares about you anyway ?:lol:

Night Falcon
21st July 2013, 18:09
Further research and battery still looks like the problem. Borrowed a mates motobatt from an LTD 750 (which was also a tad flat) but had enough power to start the 690:banana: I was then able to test if the alternator was working - operating voltage is 13.5 -15v, tested at 14.4v so all good. :headbang:

Measured my battery under load and it dropped from 11.95v to 9.8v. Don't know if that proves anything or not but its looking suspiciously like its deceased to me. :sherlock:

Akzle
21st July 2013, 18:27
Further research and battery still looks like the problem. Borrowed a mates motobatt from an LTD 750 (which was also a tad flat) but had enough power to start the 690:banana: I was then able to test if the alternator was working - operating voltage is 13.5 -15v, tested at 14.4v so all good. :headbang:

Measured my battery under load and it dropped from 11.95v to 9.8v. Don't know if that proves anything or not but its looking suspiciously like its deceased to me. :sherlock:

dude i solved your shit 14 posts ago.

Night Falcon
21st July 2013, 18:38
dude i solved your shit 14 posts ago.

you da man alrighty but post mortems are mandatory in these sudden death cases :shifty:

Oh and it was 15 posts ago...but hey who's counting :hitcher:

Akzle
21st July 2013, 19:17
25-11= what, now?

I must have misinterpreted your "i dont know if that proves anything..." comment.

As you were, chief.

Night Falcon
21st July 2013, 19:36
25-11= what, now?

I must have misinterpreted your "i dont know if that proves anything..." comment.

As you were, chief.

1/11 2/12 3/13 4/14 5/15 6/16 7/17 8/18 9/19 10/20 11/21 12/22 13/23 14/24 15/25

Peace man :devil2: