PDA

View Full Version : HJC, not a cracker!

mikey
22nd August 2005, 15:19
i dont know how people can really do reviews of helmets without crashing them, an now i have heres mine

i realised my helmet (ancient white shoei) wouldn make it through scrutineering at the kiwibiker taupo trackday as it had the full road treatment. so the day before i potted off to super cheap an bought a can of matt black spray paint an gave it a quick clean with turps an meths, then sprayed a few coats on, did the trick at scrutineering (a frosty!!!!!!!!!!!)
until it got rained upon at a 100kmh an rain chipped paint away,

was informed by a enforcer of the law at a breath check that it was most definitly in a fineable condition an i should be walking home with a helmet in that condition.

i decided that the seeing i got off the fine id buy a new helmet, an that i did, a week ago to the hour that helmet met the rimutaka hill at a fair rate of knots, but the helmet is stil in fairly good condition bar the rash. it didnt shatter or crack an the buckle even stayed done up. i reckon this puppy could be crashed another half dozen times before it shatters.

so im fairly happy with my HJC! just need some shiny balck spary paint an a new visor.

Flyingpony
22nd August 2005, 15:26
Good to see the helmet is quality.
I'll put that on my list of possible brands when it comes time to replace my existing helmet.

But once dropped/crashed, throw it away and get another one.
Piece of mind insurance.

Postie
22nd August 2005, 15:27
i'm glad ur nuggin is still in one piece, but u should know (and more then one person will post this) u should replace ur lid after a crash unless u get it checked by a pro incase u have cracked it internally. also u shouldn't use spray paint on ur helmet as the paint will damage the plastic outter shell by thining it and making it less likely to hold together if u hit the ground again..... and don't clean it with meths.if u want another oppinion. call a bike shop or the helmet manufacturer.

Riff Raff
22nd August 2005, 15:29
i decided that the seeing i got off the fine id buy a new helmet, an that i did, a week ago to the hour that helmet met the rimutaka hill at a fair rate of knots, but the helmet is stil in fairly good condition bar the rash. it didnt shatter or crack an the buckle even stayed done up. i reckon this puppy could be crashed another half dozen times before it shatters.

so im fairly happy with my HJC! just need some shiny balck spary paint an a new visor.
I was pretty happy with the performance of my HJC in my accident - my head gave the road a fair whack, and apart from being dazed for a few seconds my head was fine. There's a few chips in the helmet, but looks good otherwise. Nevertheless I am replacing it as I wouldn't trust the structural integrity if I had another crash with it.

MSTRS
22nd August 2005, 15:29
Piece of mind insurance.
Or to put it another way - insurance to keep your mind from going to pieces.

vifferman
22nd August 2005, 15:30
and don't clean it with meths.
Meths should be OK, but avoid stronger solvents like petrol, brush cleaner, thinners, acetone, tequila, paint stripper, absinthe....

N4CR
22nd August 2005, 15:53
My HJC CL-14 has been dropped a few times - two small (30cm) ones and one 1m or so fall... I'm looking at replacing it quite soon.
The only issue I have with it is that stones and stuff (if you rest the helmet with the top on gravel/concrete) can scratch/pit the plastic quite deeply. I don't think it would be a major structural problem, but its just something to look out for - keep stones away.

Lou Girardin
22nd August 2005, 16:28
Meths should be OK, but avoid stronger solvents like petrol, brush cleaner, thinners, acetone, tequila, paint stripper, absinthe....

I only use absinthe as an internal cleanser. How well does it work on helmets?

vifferman
22nd August 2005, 16:42
I only use absinthe as an internal cleanser. How well does it work on helmets?
I dunno if we've got any left in the cupboard (No.1 son has somewhat of a penchant for strange drinks) or I'd test it, but I'd imagine it'd be good for removing protein, road spooge, old sticker residue, that sort of thing...

erik
22nd August 2005, 16:45
it didnt shatter or crack an the buckle even stayed done up. i reckon this puppy could be crashed another half dozen times before it shatters.

Sounds like it was bloody lucky you got a new helmet when you did!

The outer plastic shell of the helmet might look ok, particularly with plastic ones which return to their original shape after a crash, but it's the inside polystyrene bit that protects your brain by absorbing the impact.
When polystyrene is crushed (like in an accident) it doesn't spring back to its original shape, it stays crushed, so it won't be able to cushion a second impact as well. If you want to see what I mean, try getting a piece of polystyrene packing and crushing it.
If your helmet took a decent knock, get it replaced!

curious george
22nd August 2005, 17:12
i reckon this puppy could be crashed another half dozen times before it shatters. just need some shiny balck spary paint an a new visor.
I agree.
If there is no visable damage, you prob didn't even hit your head, so just keep goin I recon.
If it's only a wee graze, not enough to wipe the paint off, I would consider that a minor thing an d not worthy of replacement.
If a helmet is going to split apart after a wee drop, it probably wont do a very good job for your head when you need to.
Just my 2c ;)
Actually, you did have a pretty major headache after, so perhaps your head did hit the inside pretty hard....
Maybee just replace the polystyrene instead :devil2:

FROSTY
22nd August 2005, 17:39
Normally Id be saying throw the fucking lid away but in this case as long as you have decent steel capped boots to protect the brains all will be good
AYY Mikey :devil2:

Storm
22nd August 2005, 17:43
Buy a new helmet- you've seen how this one saved your swede

bane
22nd August 2005, 17:50
Get the feeling Mikey, you'll do what you want to do, no matter what the advice... but take note of Erik's post.

Coyote
22nd August 2005, 18:02
What model of helmet do you have Mikey? I have the CS-10 (cheapest helmet I've seen at 160 bux)

Not sure if I should be replacing it. I was pretty dazed after my last crash (seeing stars and going pale), not sure how hard I hit my head. More money to shove in the furnace that is motorcyling :rolleyes:

Bob
23rd August 2005, 03:25
I think Erik's post is spot on. You cannot tell if the innards of the helmet are OK. Unless it is a tiny drop from almost on the floor, replace it. If you hit the deck, then replace it, even if you don't think you headed the floor.

A helmet can be replaced. Your brain can't.

On testing without crashing, factors you cover are:

Misting
Noise
Comfort - when first wearing and after a while

Here is one I prepared earlier on the HJC CL-14 (http://www.bobpickett.co.uk/bkit/hjccl14.htm)

loosebruce
24th August 2005, 17:53
But once dropped/crashed, throw it away and get another one.
Piece of mind insurance.

You dont know Mikey very well do ya lol.

On ya Mikey for getting a decent lid, i've got 3 HJC's, the one i was wearing when i flipped the TL at near on 200kph is sweet, i couldn't find anynew dents or stratches in it from what it had before the crash, as hard as it is to believe i didn't whack my head it seems, so it's all good.

justsomeguy
24th August 2005, 18:03
I can confirm that the HJC CL-12 and CL-14 are great helmets.

The 12 survived a very nice face plant on 22.

The 14 survived some :angry2:for quite a long time (don't ask for details:yawn: ) and although it eventually came apart it took quite a few knocks.:devil2:

Thank God they are still a few left around on special.

justsomeguy
24th August 2005, 18:04
You dont know Mikey very well do ya lol.

On ya Mikey for getting a decent lid, i've got 3 HJC's, the one i was wearing when i flipped the TL at near on 200kph is sweet, i couldn't find anynew dents or stratches in it from what it had before the crash, as hard as it is to believe i didn't whack my head it seems, so it's all good.

Probably cos you have that hump on your Spoons - it helped save Zapf's expensive lid too.

mikey
30th March 2006, 11:47
update on the "well used" HJC cracker of a helmet

its been smacked up a bit more since when ever i started this thread an yet its saved me quite a bit of skin an bone an massive blood clotting an stuff in/on my head.

new visor had it passed inspection at manfield,

helmet makers tell you to buy a new one when you drop it, say off your seat to the tarmac, caseu they make more money! My POS "well used" HJC hasnt broken in half or given me any massive pains in the head when ive crashed. got burns an cuts an bruisees an normal stuff from crashing on rest of my body (through a jacket an jeans) but nothing on my head.

it fogs after two breaths when its cold or dark or raining, so ride with my visor up everywhere. cant rememebr if it did this when i first got it.
so going to get a new visor as my sun glaases are no good at night.

anywho

YOU ARE

Fishy
30th March 2006, 12:16
When HJC was fairly new to the NZ market back in 1998 I had an HJC CL-10 with the clips not d-rings. I got hit by a car and the helmet fucken came of my head on impact and I ended up smaking my head on the road from a drop of about a 3-4 metres. Luckily I had bones sticking out left right and centre and the ambo driver was kind enough to stomp a piece of glass into my hand which was already compound fractured - it all helped take the pain away from smaking my noggin on the road.

A mate of mine around the same time also had a CL-10 with clips and he got hit by a car and his flew off too.

The clips must be crap, from that experience I will only ever buy a helmet that has d-rings.

Two Smoker
30th March 2006, 12:23
Well my last crash i was knocked out for quite a few minutes... HJC handled very well at high speed impact... Only issues; visor smashing, and the removable cheek pad coming out....

Great Helmet, but ive decided to step up to an Arai...

Lou Girardin
30th March 2006, 12:46
update on the "well used" HJC cracker of a helmet

its been smacked up a bit more since when ever i started this thread an yet its saved me quite a bit of skin an bone an massive blood clotting an stuff in/on my head.

Do let us know when it does shatter and you get the clotting and stuff.

Highlander
1st April 2006, 05:21
Once apon a time (mid - late 80's) ACC would write you a cheque for replacement value of your helmet (and other kit) after a smash. Made replacing it real easy...

Anyone tried it recently? What about insurance companies, do they shell out for replacement kit?

Krusti
1st April 2006, 06:07
Once apon a time (mid - late 80's) ACC would write you a cheque for replacement value of your helmet (and other kit) after a smash. Made replacing it real easy...

Anyone tried it recently? What about insurance companies, do they shell out for replacement kit?

House contents Insurance normally covers ours...

thealmightytaco
2nd April 2006, 14:47
When HJC was fairly new to the NZ market back in 1998 I had an HJC CL-10 with the clips not d-rings. I got hit by a car and the helmet fucken came of my head on impact and I ended up smaking my head on the road from a drop of about a 3-4 metres. Luckily I had bones sticking out left right and centre and the ambo driver was kind enough to stomp a piece of glass into my hand which was already compound fractured - it all helped take the pain away from smaking my noggin on the road.

A mate of mine around the same time also had a CL-10 with clips and he got hit by a car and his flew off too.

The clips must be crap, from that experience I will only ever buy a helmet that has d-rings.

Holy flaming crap! I bet that day was going well from the start!

Dodgyiti
6th April 2006, 19:49
I don't quite understand what the Police Officer was on about?
Is it because you painted the helmet, or it's condition?
Only that I have airbrushed a couple of my spare lids (with a gentle acrylic base then enamels on top) really badly as I practice using the brush.
So does that mean I, or my passenger, will get done for it?

Madness
6th April 2006, 20:01

I had a nasty off in about 1990, dislocated my foot (highly unusual injury) and didn't get back on a bike for just over a year. It was then that I decided to claim for a new helmet after someone told me about the ACC helmet thing. ACC politely told me you have a year from the date of injury to calim and my claim was recieved three days after the anniversary. That pissed me off. The less I have to do with ACC the better.