PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Suzuki LT-R450 Burnt Clutch - What to do?

S1NCORP
25th July 2013, 17:50
So the story goes - I just bought an LT-R450 2006, the previous owner had told me he had just had the bike serviced and had "new" clutch installed and that oil & filter were both fresh and ready to ride. Had only taken the bike out for a quick test ride up the road then bike sat in shed for a week.

Week later - I finally get to take the bike up to Ahipara for some duning and noticed that there wasnt much freeplay in the clutch lever, so I adjust it and it seems ok but I notice its easy to stall if you don't crack the throttle open (I initially put this down to clutch fade and thought nothing of it).

I come hard over a sharp peaking dune and belly hard on the crest. I started to rock the quad back and forth while trying to feather the clutch and try grab some traction to get off the dune but I only had the throttle cracked for a second. I manage to get off the dune but only get 50m or so then boom I feel it - insane clutch slippage. I check inside the transmission filler cap and I immediately see (and smell) I've burnt through the clutch...

Now my clutch fiber & steel plates, hub, pressure plate, basket and small outer clutch cover are coated in a smokey burnt (coke coloured) oily residue. One of the fibre plates has split into 3 pieces and there is almost no fibre pads left on the drive plates.

I have access to a fully stocked workshop and the workshop/service manual available, but I am still a bit of a novice when it comes to fixing bikes.

What I am wanting to know is what steps should I be taking to rectify the problem now? Is there anything I can do to remove the burnt oil/clutch residue from the clutch parts or are they toast...? Does anyone have any recommendation on what to flush the transmission with?

I have been reluctant to take it to a bike mechanic just yet as I would rather try and sort the issue myself at home, I can order in a complete clutch rebuild kit etc. But I would like to hear from anyone else who has had similar problems with burning a wet clutch, and how they went about fixing it or how much it cost to get repaired professionally.

Would really appreciate some assistance on this.