PDA

View Full Version : Injector & pre-mixing for RG150 racing?

smithmZXR
1st August 2013, 20:56
Hi,

I am quite new to bikes in general, I have picked up a RG150 to get into racing. Just looking at doing a full fluid change (its been sitting sometime) before taking it out on to the have a go day coming up at Ruapuna. I was asked when getting oil "does your bike still have the oil injector or has it been removed for pre mixing". Can someone please explain this/how I can tell? Sorry for the dumb question...

Cheers!

Ginja
3rd August 2013, 17:33
Greetings:

I'm unsure where everything is mounted on a RG but usually it'll be either:

-Fuel Tank AND Oil Tank, the oil tank will have a line down to a oil injector(mounted to the gearbox) with another line from there to a spigot on the carb intake.

-Just a fuel tank - the previous owner may have removed the oil tank and injector (usually lubricated by the oil passed through them; if you just disconnect the oil intake line, it will seize) and plugged the opening left in the gearbox.

The reason they've asked you whether your running premix or oil injection is the viscosity, oil injected oils are a lower viscosity to pass through the small orifices within the injection system - I'd check what the container recommends and would advise that you don't try mix the two together.

While oil Injection is less hassle at the fuel pump, it was designed solely for stock bikes. For racing, most would remove it, less things to go wrong in the heat of the moment and if you modify the bike you'll more then likely need to run higher oil ratios then the pump will supply.

Hope this helps.