PDA

View Full Version : CBR250RR not idling and oil coming out of exhaust?

silent_
3rd August 2013, 15:47
Hey guys, I just took my bike out of storage yesterday and everything went well after a warm up and a ride down the drive way. But this morning it wouldnt start properly. I had to hold the throttle open for it not to die and it just wouldn't idle. I also noticed some oil coming out of the exaust. Any ideas as to why this is?.

Throughout the winter I started it up and left it going for 20minutes or so every 2 weeks just so that it wouldn't give me any problems when I eventually took it out again.

Drew
3rd August 2013, 17:57
Plenty of possibilities. Fuck all of them good.

Take the oil filler cap off, and have a sniff.

Take the lid off the airbox, and see if there's heaps of oil in there. It would normally present as smoke form the exhaust, but if it's fouled a plug so bad it's not firing at all, it could just work through.

AllanB
3rd August 2013, 19:54
You left it idling for 20 minutes every two weeks?

mossy1200
3rd August 2013, 21:21
Maybe one carb needle is stuck and its flooding that cylinder. Could just be exaust crap and fuel coming out. Explains the rough idle also.

The Reibz
3rd August 2013, 21:39
Most likely fuel spitting out the exhaust, not oil. Leaking valve seals make the majority of smoke on warmup of the engine.
Like other cunts have said. Check the fuel.

silent_
3rd August 2013, 23:41
You left it idling for 20 minutes every two weeks?

Ahh.. yeah, ran it for a couple of minutes probably not 20 lol.

Maybe one carb needle is stuck and its flooding that cylinder. Could just be exaust crap and fuel coming out. Explains the rough idle also.

Most likely fuel spitting out the exhaust, not oil. Leaking valve seals make the majority of smoke on warmup of the engine.
Like other cunts have said. Check the fuel.

Hmm will do, its bin in there since May so it could be that. I'll check it out and post back.

Kornholio
4th August 2013, 00:39
Were you reading a book while it was idling? why didn't you just take it for a skid?

Billy
4th August 2013, 11:44
Ahh.. yeah, ran it for a couple of minutes probably not 20 lol.

Hmm will do, its bin in there since May so it could be that. I'll check it out and post back.

Check the oil level in the engine,If its got a dodgy needle valve and you leave it idling for long periods of time or leave the fuel on for a long period without the engine running,It will fill up the crankcase with fuel,My racebike did it and when we drained it,It had 9 1/2 litres of fluid in it !!!!

Banditbandit
9th August 2013, 09:15
If it's a clearish liquid coming out of the exhaust it could be unburnt fuel - then it's a carb/fuel problem and should not be too hard to fix

If it's a black fluid coming out of the exhaust then it's oil and as Drew said - plenty of possiblities, none of them good.

Drew
9th August 2013, 16:09
If it's a clearish liquid coming out of the exhaust it could be unburnt fuel - then it's a carb/fuel problem and should not be too hard to fix

If it's a black fluid coming out of the exhaust then it's oil and as Drew said - plenty of possiblities, none of them good.

I submit, that if fuel is coming out of the pipe, the problem is electrical in nature.

Banditbandit
9th August 2013, 17:10
I submit, that if fuel is coming out of the pipe, the problem is electrical in nature.

Yeah - you'll probably be right - unburnt fuel = no spark = bad electrics

Fuck I hate chasing those little fuckers .. you can't see electrons - you never know where they are and then the little shits turn around and bite you ..

fridayflash
9th August 2013, 17:16
old two strokers used to do that when crankcase seal was brittle and gone, i assume its not possible for theses inline fours to fault in some way causing oil to pool in the crakcase? triumph twins would wet sump too...different thing i know..

good luck