PDA

View Full Version : Leaving this world, in style

awa355
4th August 2013, 05:28
Here's a thread about an unusual topic.

I was at a rural property a couple of days ago, it's owned by an elderly lady who has done a fantastic job of building her home nestled in the forest of Pirongia mountain. In her garage was a home made coffin standing up on end and fitted with shelves holding pot plants and knick knacks.

I joked about the coffin and she told me that it is what she will be buried in when she goes. Thought she was joking, but she's not. It is made of 8 x 1's, painted and has fixed wooden handles. Looks fairly basic but thinking about it, probably quite practical. If she gets buried, it would out last the modern made caskets, ( a sexton said that modern caskets soon collapse when they get wet ), and if being cremated, it would make more sense than burning up a $3-4000 veneer covered MDF box.

I cant see why a homemade coffin couldn't be used. Dont know if there are any regulations governing what can be used. In the 1800s it was not unusuall for poor people to be wrapped in a canvas sheet and buried without a coffin.

Has anyone known of a person buried in their own hand built casket?

unstuck
4th August 2013, 05:36
My dad wants me to make ones for him and mum, but Im not to keen. Just seems a little strange to me. You can get buried in just about anything these days, they even sell cardboard coffins that you can paint stuff on yourself.:niceone:

awa355
4th August 2013, 06:30
I guess for some, there would be a stigma attached to having a homemade coffin. Many see a funeral as being a showpiece at the end of someones life.

I could build one for me, ( not likely tho ), but I wouldn't bury my wife in a DIY box. That would seem disrespectful to her.

unstuck
4th August 2013, 06:36
I guess for some, there would be a stigma attached to having a homemade coffin. Many see a funeral as being a showpiece at the end of someones life.

I could build one for me, ( not likely tho ), but I wouldn't bury my wife in a DIY box. That would seem disrespectful to her.

Thats sort of how I see it too, but dad reckons he would be proud to be in something that I made myself. I have made some really nice furniture in the past, but a coffin for my folks........:no::wacko:

Grumph
4th August 2013, 08:17

I'll admit to knowing a guy who buried his in a 44gal drum......

Kickaha
4th August 2013, 08:24

I think he got caught though

Moi
4th August 2013, 08:30
That's sort of how I see it too, but dad reckons he would be proud to be in something that I made myself. I have made some really nice furniture in the past, but a coffin for my folks...

Could it not be seen as your last act of physical love? - a way of showing you still and always will love them and protect them...

Goblin
4th August 2013, 09:14
Just down the road from where I live there's a thing called the Coffin Club. It's really popular! Heaps of old people making their own coffins and painting them in bright colours. Been meaning to pop in when I see them there and ask some questions. I think it's a great idea!

tigertim20
4th August 2013, 09:24

the presence of stigma probably depends on your values. I think of funerals as a celebration of ones life, experiences, and recognition of their beleifs and acheivements. If someone was into that kind of thing, it would be fitting to be buried in something they made themseleves, going out the way the lived, by being practical, hard working and building, creating, making solutions to suit their own needs.

I have a friend who would like to be cremated, the ashes kept in a sealed motorcycle tank. Not sure if they want the tank buried or kept by family, but I thought that was a really neat idea, given who the person is.

Given that you can spread your ahes virtually anywhere you want (with appropriate consent - several rugby greats had their ashes spread over the field at Carisbrook) I dont see why there would be a ban on being buried in a home made coffin, or some other contraption in you so desire.

Naki Rat
4th August 2013, 10:49
A solo dad in Eltham has raised headlines (http://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-daily-news/news/8978631/Coffins-measure-up-for-tenants) in the last while about his low cost coffin business. Low cost, minimal resources and the ability for customers to personalise them are some of his selling points. Good on him :niceone:

mashman
4th August 2013, 11:02
Cheap as possible for me, just burn me etc... and spend the money saved on beer. Surely showing respect is turning up? not a debate about the quality of coffin.

pzkpfw
4th August 2013, 12:38
Cheap as possible for me, just burn me etc... and spend the money saved on beer. Surely showing respect is turning up? not a debate about the quality of coffin.

Agree with you there.

I've told my Wife she can flush my ashes down the loo if she wants. Or not. Once I'm dead, it's got nothing to do with me.

My Father (a BSA and Harley rider in 50's/60's Netherlands) is constantly building stuff (e.g. nine boats so far). He's planning for one of his last projects to be coffins for him and my Mum. It's "DIY" but no disrespect at all. If anything it'll symbolise his life of hard work, self reliance, and enterprise.

mashman
4th August 2013, 12:53
Agree with you there.

I've told my Wife she can flush my ashes down the loo if she wants. Or not. Once I'm dead, it's got nothing to do with me.

My Father (a BSA and Harley rider in 50's/60's Netherlands) is constantly building stuff (e.g. nine boats so far). He's planning for one of his last projects to be coffins for him and my Mum. It's "DIY" but no disrespect at all. If anything it'll symbolise his life of hard work, self reliance, and enterprise.

heh... have said similar to Mrs M and she just ain't happy with that for some reason.

That gives me an idea for a funeral service, yes contrary to what was already said, but it'd be fun to be floated out to sea in a flammable coffin and have those who turn up shoot fire tipped arrows atcha.

unstuck
4th August 2013, 12:58
I would like to be spread all over the bush, preferably after I am dead.:Oi::Oi::Oi:

awa355
4th August 2013, 13:01

A few years ago a work collegue died. His family had nothing so the funeral service was held at the house, his coffin was a cardboard one, and he was carried down the drive and placed into a Hi-ace van for the trip to the crematoriam. The whole thing went off well, no adverse comments.

Certainly do not need money to send a loved one off with dignity. The office lady at the Newstead cemetery told me that because of the toxicity of the ashes, ( destroys the grass ) they do not 'scatter' the ashes, but dig a shallow trough and spread the ashes into that.

I still cant decide whether I'm to be buried or toasted. The idea of making my own coffin is slowly growing.

mashman
4th August 2013, 13:17
A few years ago a work collegue died. His family had nothing so the funeral service was held at the house, his coffin was a cardboard one, and he was carried down the drive and placed into a Hi-ace van for the trip to the crematoriam. The whole thing went off well, no adverse comments.

Certainly do not need money to send a loved one off with dignity. The office lady at the Newstead cemetery told me that because of the toxicity of the ashes, ( destroys the grass ) they do not 'scatter' the ashes, but dig a shallow trough and spread the ashes into that.

I still cant decide whether I'm to be buried or toasted. The idea of making my own coffin is slowly growing.

Gotta say that any funerals I've been to, whether they've been crematorium or graveyard burial, I've never considered the differences between being toasted or buried... let alone the quality of the box resting on my shoulders. Having said that, I wish my grandad had gone for cremation as he wasn't light :laugh:.

Toxicity from being cremated? in which case smear me in blood and drop me awf with the sharks.

Akzle
4th August 2013, 13:47
fuck being buried.
At 6ft, full of embalming fluid, your carcass aint doing too much use.
Theres an eco graveyard (in west auckland, go figuire) youre buried in a cardboard box at about 3 ft with a pile of compost and trees planted on ya.
THATs style.

Im either going into the ocean, or dying in the bush, to be eaten by... whatever... probably maoris.

scumdog
4th August 2013, 13:51
Agree with you there.

Once I'm dead, it's got nothing to do with me.

Dead right there.

When you're dead even mashman couldn't help you...:lol:

Akzle
4th August 2013, 14:02
as for respect, it depends how you define a human. If its the meat suit, then the body is important, if its the spirit soul whatever, not so much.

JimO
4th August 2013, 14:08
fuck being buried.
to be eaten by... whatever... probably maoris.

i dont think maori eat people any more, not since the KFC came along

Akzle
4th August 2013, 14:22
i dont think maori eat people any more, not since the KFC came along

common misconception, but thats what we want you to think...

gammaguy
4th August 2013, 14:35

Yeah and it wasn't an approved graveyard either:cool:

Bikemad
4th August 2013, 14:51
Theres an eco graveyard (in west auckland, go figuire) youre buried in a cardboard box at about 3 ft with a pile of compost and trees planted on ya.
THATs style.

save room at graveyards if they used a posthole borer and chucked em in standing up.......no box then plant a citrus tree on top

awa355
4th August 2013, 15:02
save room at graveyards if they used a posthole borer and chucked em in standing up.......no box then plant a citrus tree on top

I heard that in some places, exercuted villians used to be buried upright, something to do with not letting them 'rest' in peace.

Here's one idea for a home built coffin. http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/build-coffin.aspx#axzz2axvciUgv

I might have a go, just for the hell of it.

avgas
4th August 2013, 15:16

I put it in the same rank as "Donor".
I probably shouldn't - but when riding, never look where you could crash. I guess I take that saying to heart too much.

mashman
4th August 2013, 15:27

Sink Holes = Mass Graveyards.

Akzle
4th August 2013, 15:51

another misconception,
doesnt actually make a fuck of difference. 9 humans (3x3) take up the same volume, whichever way theyre sown.

Now, if you put em through b burley grinder...

mashman
4th August 2013, 16:14
Dead right there.

but god dammit I'll try

pzkpfw
4th August 2013, 16:28

If I were a political system he'd try to ...

Moi
4th August 2013, 16:41
In one of Deric Longden's books - don't ask me which one... - he tells of hearing an elderly couple, who sitting on a park bench which is on the other side of a high hedge and they don't realise Deric is there, discussing death and she asks him which he'd prefer: burial or cremation. He replies "Surprise me!"

Thinking of that always brings a smile to my face... the practicalities of Yorkshire folk...

granstar
4th August 2013, 16:52
Bit like TT's mate with the tank, iv'e got a 14 x 8" birch snare drum that my ashes will fit into, only half the price of a polished pinebox, already paid for, and meantime it has a daily practical use, we will then both (and the neighbours) rest in peace.:banana:

unstuck
4th August 2013, 17:34
the practicalities of Yorkshire folk...

Have you seen the new version of the Yorkshire Anthem released for Yorkshire day??
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23529298

Grumph
4th August 2013, 17:52
Yeah and it wasn't an approved graveyard either:cool:

Yeah, the plan was a tad ambitious - and flawed.

Then he let himself get all hung up over it......

I never said he was the sharpest knife in the box.

Akzle
4th August 2013, 18:12
I never said he was the sharpest knife in the box.

:facepalm:
. .

Road kill
4th August 2013, 18:29
The thought of a loud drunken wake ending with an award winning riot that makes Te News would be nice, but I don't care what's done with me when I'm dead.

I'm not going to see it anyway.:rolleyes:

awa355
4th August 2013, 19:01

Here's some cost cutting ideas. 285821 285822

mashman
4th August 2013, 19:09
Here's some cost cutting ideas. 285821 285822

ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaa... too true.

Banditbandit
5th August 2013, 09:06
Im either going into the ocean, or dying in the bush, to be eaten by... whatever... probably maoris.

I'll bet you'd be pretty tasteless ...

Now, if you put em through b burley grinder...

Good idea .. some people are pretty uselss when they are alive - at least that makes some us of the carcass and doesn't totally waste a life !!!

The thought of a loud drunken wake ending with an award winning riot that makes Te News would be nice, but I don't care what's done with me when I'm dead.

I'm not going to see it anyway.:rolleyes:

Yeah .. funerals are for the living not for the dead ..

I don't care ... drop me over the road in the harbour so my body feeds the fishes ...

unstuck
5th August 2013, 09:11
I don't care ... drop me over the road in the harbour so my body feeds the fishes ...

Ok, today be good?.:whistle:

That would look awesome on ewwtube.:devil2:

Banditbandit
5th August 2013, 09:36
Not today .. I'm still using this body ...

Tigadee
6th August 2013, 19:09
http://www.heavenlystarsfireworks.com/

"Helping to celebrate the life of a loved one or friend with fireworks
At Heavenly Stars we offer a variety of services to help send your loved one or friend off in style by providing a spectacular way to remember them with either one of our stunning self fired tributes or an amazing professional display.

Our compassionate and caring staff will help you with arranging all aspects of your special tribute, and can liaise with yourself, or a family member, funeral directors or crematorium over the collection of your loved one’s ashes, process and return of your ashes firework or memorial fireworks display.

The whole process has been respectfully developed to be caring, tasteful, discreet and professional. Our unique technique will safely embed your loved one’s ashes into our specially designed, tested, secure and quality checked fireworks before returning your self fired tribute or scattering their ashes during our professional display."

Tigadee
6th August 2013, 19:14
How's about this?

http://blog.motorcycle.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/100427muerto3-500x333.jpg
"Not Even Death Can Stop Him From Riding
How much do you love riding? Probably not as much as this guy did. David Morales Colon, 22, was shot to death April 22 in Puerto Rico. For his wake, Colon was embalmed and mounted on his Honda CBR600F4i with full Repsol colors.

The work was performed by the Marin Funeral Home in San Juan, which also made headlines two years ago for presenting the embalmed body of Angel Luis “Pedrito” Pantojas Medina standing up in the corner for his own funeral."

Bikemad
24th August 2013, 08:35
what happened to ATGATT...........and he isn't waving

awa355
24th August 2013, 13:34
what happened to ATGATT...........and he isn't waving

I suppose, if you are already dead, ATGATT becomes a wee bit irrelevant.

Apparently the local WinTec in Hamilton have run a course on making your own coffin.

If I knew I would be in this house until I died, there might be some merit in making my own. On the other hand, if forced into a retirement home, they might be a bit upset at me leaving my own coffin leaning up against the wall in the hall outside the room. :shit:

Just had a thought re the rest home, upholster the lid, fit a set of castors, and you have your own 'take anywhere' settee.

How would one go as a coffee table, kids toy box, storage :no::no:??

Oakie
24th August 2013, 14:58
I have a vague plan to make my own casket and paint it with an appropriate paint so people can write or draw things on it ... jokes, pictures. I want people top have a bit of a laugh when I go.

Moi
25th August 2013, 11:12
Just had a thought re the rest home, upholster the lid, fit a set of castors, and you have your own 'take anywhere' settee.

How would one go as a coffee table, kids toy box, storage??

Call it practical furniture... I wonder how many seachests got used for that purpose in the past?

And you could have this for the hearse...

Goblin
28th August 2013, 18:07
In the latest Shed Magazine, the Fathers Day issue, there's a couple of letters refering to an article published in last months issue. Old codgers have a wicked sense of humour.:msn-wink:
Could only find this snippet online.
http://www.theshedmag.co.nz/online/-previous-articles/june-july-2013