PDA

View Full Version : Help with a CG125 1979

Zavance
7th August 2013, 01:18
Haya guys just registered living in Christchurch and would love some advice. Basicly I've had a few people diagnose the problem and it seems I have a slipping clutch ie : Stand still 7000rpm dump the clutch and its just like a smooth take off :( Also when coming on and off the gas the bike jolts as if it disengages the gear when I let of the gas :( I would also like to know how much it would cost to replace/fix the clutch both parts and man hours? Any information would be awesome cheers guys.

Here she is :) Sorry about the quality I just screenshot a video off mine lol

GSeX
7th August 2013, 01:59
Haya guys just registered living in Christchurch and would love some advice. Basicly I've had a few people diagnose the problem and it seems I have a slipping clutch ie : Stand still 7000rpm dump the clutch and its just like a smooth take off :( Also when coming on and off the gas the bike jolts as if it disengages the gear when I let of the gas :( I would also like to know how much it would cost to replace/fix the clutch both parts and man hours? Any information would be awesome cheers guys.

Here she is :) Sorry about the quality I just screenshot a video off mine lol

Ey, I haven't had that problem before but does sound like the clutch, but have you checked the chain tension that it's not too slack too? you could get clutch plates pretty cheap off ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clutch-Plates-Set-for-Honda-CG125-Pit-Bike-Moped-ATV-Go-Kart-/281027904160?hash=item416e9182a0&vxp=mtr) and I don't imagine it would take a long time for somebody to swap them.. hope this helps

Zavance
8th August 2013, 00:10
Ok cheers man I will send it into the shop sometime over the next week and see whats wrong with her :(

unstuck
8th August 2013, 06:28
Any free play in the lever, or has it been adjusted so that its tight as a nuns whatsit?:wacko:

F5 Dave
8th August 2013, 11:40
Bike shop will have to charge what seems like a large amount compared to the bike's value. but this should be achievable to change plates to anyone with a socket set & a container to catch the oil. Plates will come out easy & won't cost much for fibres. Look at youtube & someone will explain how to. Not much easier bike to work on.

But yeah check cable has some freeplay.

Banditbandit
8th August 2013, 15:30
I'm not convinced it's a clutch problem. But that is the most likely -

Clutch plates are a good start, but also look at the springs. Given the age of the bike, the clutch springs may need replacing either as well as the clutch plates or just by themselves.

If it is real easy to pull in the clutch it is probably springs, if it's a little firmer, then it might not be the springs. If you are not sure, go into your local Honda shop and pull in a few clutches of their smaller bikes so you can get a feel for how firm it should feel.

Anyway If you not mechanically minded and want to work on your bike fixing a clutch is a very good place to start.

Here's the workshop manual - and if this doesn't work, a Google search brings up other sites

http://www.4shared.com/office/6UFIA3lf/Honda_Cg125_Workshop_Manual_76.htm

wickle
8th August 2013, 15:50
What oil are you using if its not a bike oil this will cause clutch plates to slip, drain oil take apart clean clutch plates ( petrol ok) dry off, oil slightly before reassembling top up with bike oil. from memoir around one litre is all u need.

T.W.R
8th August 2013, 16:07
:lol: no one notice the ass-end, seat & tank off a later model CG in picture as well :pinch:

Banditbandit
8th August 2013, 16:25
Meh .. I haven't noticed details like that about smal bikes since I can't remember when ... It looked like a CG to me - that will do.

festus
8th August 2013, 17:14
The 1979 CG125 was my first bike when I turned 15..........are the memories!......