PDA

View Full Version : The Duke of Wellington

jellywrestler
9th August 2013, 17:58
here's a piccie of one of the Steve Roberts bikes that never made it to the track, during the build the power plant became obsolete and this was shelved
Fuel in the frame, alloy fairing and tailpeice, not for final use these are just the molds as it's the easiest way for Steve to make them...

fridayflash
9th August 2013, 18:01
real cool!!! what was motive power to be? not gs1000 like the others?

jellywrestler
9th August 2013, 18:12
real cool!!! what was motive power to be? not gs1000 like the others?

nah it was a Ducati pantah but the 8 valve motors came along, built for Dallas Rankine from British spares, i think they then built the 'Fast and Fragile' machine and run the TT2 600

unstuck
9th August 2013, 18:15
Cool, would be good to see one up and running. That old bike in the background looks kinda interesting too.:niceone:

Grumph
9th August 2013, 19:31
That answers the mystery...several magazines reported a new BMS ducati but it never appeared.....

Would have been very nice and with Robert on board should have been competitive. weren't they talking about going to Daytona with it too ?

I assume that is a period picture...i've got a spare Rudge arse end if it's still needed to finish off the one in the background....

jellywrestler
9th August 2013, 19:36
That answers the mystery...several magazines reported a new BMS ducati but it never appeared.....

Would have been very nice and with Robert on board should have been competitive. weren't they talking about going to Daytona with it too ?

I assume that is a period picture...i've got a spare Rudge arse end if it's still needed to finish off the one in the background....

yep the bike was pulled to bits to provide bits for other bikes

T.W.R
9th August 2013, 19:43
I've a fairly detailed review of the fast n fragile and they talk about a 750 prior to the TT600 & the 851 being built. this it?

mr bucketracer
9th August 2013, 20:10
love it , pre 90s fzr looking

jellywrestler
9th August 2013, 20:41
love it , pre 90s fzr looking

they probably copied the FZR from this bike. I had the Plastic Fantastic on display not too long ago and a guy was very critical about all the ideas he'd swiped from the Britten, till I told him the PF was built nearly a decade earlier, mind you some days I think Steve Roberts could build a time machine if he wanted to!

Billy
9th August 2013, 23:36
they probably copied the FZR from this bike. I had the Plastic Fantastic on display not too long ago and a guy was very critical about all the ideas he'd swiped from the Britten, till I told him the PF was built nearly a decade earlier, mind you some days I think Steve Roberts could build a time machine if he wanted to!

Yip,

He sure could,Did his apprenticeship at Aston Martin,He was my tech teacher when I did my apprenticeship,Used to have us welding up expansion chambers for Dickie Lawtons specials at block course,Even back then he was rebuilding exotic cars as well