PDA

View Full Version : Stoopid Pedestrians!

Ms Piggy
13th January 2004, 17:11
I live in Wellington and yesterday coming home I was riding up Victoria St and I was stopped at the traffic lights that intersect with Manners Mall & Manners St. The light went green and a couple of day dreamers just go strolling out in front of me! I shouted out "Excuse me!!" and rode off shaking my head! Bloody hell! :angry2:

KATWYN
13th January 2004, 17:16
I live in Wellington and yesterday coming home I was riding up Victoria St and I was stopped at the traffic lights that intersect with Manners Mall & Manners St. The light went green and a couple of day dreamers just go strolling out in front of me! I shouted out "Excuse me!!" and rode off shaking my head! Bloody hell! :angry2:

Do you think they would have done that if you had been in a truck instead
of a bike? :sweatdrop

Ms Piggy
13th January 2004, 17:17
Do you think they would have done that if you had been in a truck instead
of a bike? :sweatdrop

Exactly wot I was thinking! :ar15:

Jackrat
13th January 2004, 21:55
Get ya' self a set of air horns,They real good for that type of thing :lol:

LB
14th January 2004, 05:08
CSL: I can't believe the ignorance of some pedestrians crossing against their red light. The intersection before this one, cnr Victoria/Mercer/Wakefield, is also bad - I walk this way most nights, and sometimes I wish a stupid bloody pedestrian would get collected (by a car of course, not a bike). They have no idea. Even when cars come round the corner from Mercer to go up Victoria, they (the pedestrians) seem to just keep on sauntering across, don't even bother hurry up. And I suspect most of them drive the same way.

Hitcher
14th January 2004, 08:09
I get pissed off by pedestrians who cross roads in the "general proximity" of a pedestrian crossing, rather than actually on it and think they have right of way. You don't know whether to stop or go. The worst crossing around for this is the one by Pastoral House on The Terrace. Bloody Brown's cows!!
:Pokey:

Ms Piggy
14th January 2004, 08:24
This morning I was coming round the Basin and I was behind a bus, a guy in a white late model Holden (I think?) passed me on the left! Arrrggghhh!! :shit:
I couldn't catch up with him to get his his number plate but then he turned into the Shell petrol station on Taranaki St! That was really worth it for him aye!

Does this sort of stuff happen all the time? I think that's a rhetorical question actually. I mean are the more experienced riders here just kinda smiling and saying "Oh yeah - you'll get that lots."

James Deuce
14th January 2004, 08:53
Does this sort of stuff happen all the time? I think that's a rhetorical question actually. I mean are the more experienced riders here just kinda smiling and saying "Oh yeah - you'll get that lots."

Yup and the best advice I can give is don't waste any mental processing time getting angry or contemplating what just happened. Note it and move on because while you are feeling indignant you aren't thinking about what's going on around you and the NEXT idiot cage driver will clean you up.

At the end of your ride congratulate yourself on surviving, by all means.

Jim2

Slingshot
14th January 2004, 09:24
I've been meaning to post the exact same thread for a couple of weeks now.
I think that often the peds see us an think...that bike is skinnier than a car so they can go around me.
Air horns...here I come!

Ms Piggy
14th January 2004, 09:25
Yup and the best advice I can give is don't waste any mental processing time getting angry or contemplating what just happened. Note it and move on because while you are feeling indignant you aren't thinking about what's going on around you and the NEXT idiot cage driver will clean you up.

Jim2

Why did I know someone was gonna say that. I guess I realised today that it will still keep happening & so I just have to chill or I will become a road rager! :calm:

KATWYN
14th January 2004, 10:08
This morning I was coming round the Basin and I was behind a bus, a guy in a white late model Holden (I think?) passed me on the left! Arrrggghhh!! :shit:
I couldn't catch up with him to get his his number plate but then he turned into the Shell petrol station on Taranaki St! That was really worth it for him aye!

I found that sort of thing a lot, when I started and used to get real angry, it still happens, but Instead of getting upset at that sort of thing (cos thick people doing dumb things is something that is out of my control) I now ride thinking (i.e) "Im riding around the basin, theres a few cars here,statistics tells me that when there are a "few" other cars, there
is bound to be a dick amongst them, that will either cut me off, tail gate ,get
impatient and pass on the left etc".....ride to expect it..........then when "dick" does appear.....tell yourself........see I was right" ...but I was ready.

James Deuce
14th January 2004, 10:17
Why did I know someone was gonna say that. I guess I realised today that it will still keep happening & so I just have to chill or I will become a road rager! :calm:

Sorry :Oops:

Urban Terrorist
14th January 2004, 13:17
Last time someone overtook me on the left I dropped back 5 or so seconds behind him, gave him a hearty clap and blew him a kiss. I know it wasn't the cleverest thing to do, but it eased my anger and gave those following a good laugh. Anyone that stupid and desperate to save 3-4 seconds deserves a reply.

Mitch
14th January 2004, 13:52

Jim2

Incredibly well put Jim2!!!!!!!!
Shit does tend to happen from time to time on 2 wheels!

SILVER SUZI
14th January 2004, 14:11
I'd just basicly like to echo Jim.
Get used to it, if you inend to be a long term rider you going to see dum shit. And not only from cages, unfortunatly you do also see the odd dick on a bike. Unfortunatley they give us all a bad rep, and often don't last long.
That's what winds me up more than idiots in cages, cause you just expect to see them doing stupid things. But maniacs on bikes... I hate that! :argh:

KATWYN
14th January 2004, 14:23
I'd just basicly like to echo Jim.
Get used to it, if you inend to be a long term rider you going to see dum shit. And not only from cages, unfortunatly you do also see the odd dick on a bike. Unfortunatley they give us all a bad rep, and often don't last long.
That's what winds me up more than idiots in cages, cause you just expect to see them doing stupid things. But maniacs on bikes... I hate that! :argh:

Yea like a motorbike or (few) zooming up behind you and then passing on a blind corner to get past you : :sweatdrop

Ms Piggy
14th January 2004, 14:30
Sorry :Oops:

Heh heh - don't be sorry...it's true. I mean if I let every wanker that had no understanding of what being a rider is upset me, I'd be fuming everyday! :laugh:

Ms Piggy
14th January 2004, 14:35
I found that sort of thing a lot, when I started and used to get real angry, it still happens, but Instead of getting upset at that sort of thing (cos thick people doing dumb things is something that is out of my control) I now ride thinking (i.e) "Im riding around the basin, theres a few cars here,statistics tells me that when there are a "few" other cars, there
is bound to be a dick amongst them, that will either cut me off, tail gate ,get
impatient and pass on the left etc".....ride to expect it..........then when "dick" does appear.....tell yourself........see I was right" ...but I was ready.

Yep - you are sooooooo right :)

Actually I have a gal pal who is a cyclist & she is always filing complaints at the Police Station for wankers in cars that ignore her on the road. I don't think I could be bothered wasting my energy on that.