PDA

View Full Version : Chroming Aluminium?

VTR10001999
10th August 2013, 17:28
Anyone know if you can chrome alluminum e.g. main frame, rear sub frame, swing arm and wheels on my VTR1000 ?

98tls
10th August 2013, 17:45
Yep you can but i wouldnt advise it,why not just get it polished.

jellywrestler
10th August 2013, 17:45
Anyone know if you can chrome alluminum e.g. main frame, rear sub frame, swing arm and wheels on my VTR1000 ?

yip. i'm in lower hutt and get all my plating down by George at Advanced plating in Ellis st hamilton, mainly cause he's one of the few who do alliminium

Geeen
10th August 2013, 17:51
Yep you can but i wouldnt advise it,why not just get it polished.

That's exactly what I was thinking, plus, isn't polished metal easier to care for?

VTR10001999
10th August 2013, 17:55
Why wouldnt you advise it ? Just thought it would be easier to care for than polishing ??

VTR10001999
10th August 2013, 17:57
And cheers Jelly thats not far from me........Thats if i do decide to get it done......

jellywrestler
10th August 2013, 18:00
And cheers Jelly thats not far from me........Thats if i do decide to get it done......

platings a mongrel in reality as tightening frame bolts etc it can chip requiring a major effort to sort again i use it for my restorations where it was original

98tls
10th August 2013, 18:05
Why wouldnt you advise it ? Just thought it would be easier to care for than polishing ??

I would imagine the cost of getting all those items chromed would be way up there,if you have the skill to strip your VTR down to the frame for chroming then i reckon you have the skills to polish said bits yourself that aside i would wonder how the likes of chrome rims will look after a few years of use on our roads.Dont let me put you off mate just my thoughts.

imdying
10th August 2013, 19:05
Polishing looks crap unless you have a repolishing fetish.

bogan
10th August 2013, 19:09

Apparently you can get a clear powdercoat put on after polishing which preserves it well. Not seen it done myself though.

98tls
10th August 2013, 19:15

Chipped chrome looks worse.Wonder if polishing a frame and then clearcoating it would help avoid the annoying repolishing thing?Edit...didnt see the above post..doh.

AllanB
10th August 2013, 19:41
Paint it black .......

98tls
10th August 2013, 19:54
Paint it black .......

Was going to say the same myself,i fucking hate chrome/polished but each to there own.

jonbuoy
10th August 2013, 21:29
Even a good 2K clearcoat or powercoat will scratch/wear under the wheel fixing hardware as will aluminium ceramic coating which I tried on a steel swingarm. You kinda make a rod for your own back by starting with the mirror polishing.

caseye
10th August 2013, 23:08
Pro Coat in East Tamaki Dorkland have clear powder coated my ol coal burners front and rear rim edges after being polished, this was original equipment but the rough ali black on the inner rims was first masked off and powder coated to make em smooth and nice to look after then the outer rim edges were polished to gleaming and then the whole thing was clear powder coated, looking great 3 years after being done, not that expensive from memory and much easier to clean and keep looking good than the old rough cast ali.

VTR10001999
12th August 2013, 11:59
Thanks to everyone that posted a reply.....

After reading everyones comments and doing a bit more research into it I have decided chroming isnt the way to go on a bike that will be ridden daily.
Although chroming would look good it seems to only be suitable for show bikes or people that have alot of spare time to keep it clean and polished.
I have narrowed it down to either getting parts polished and then a clear 2k paint/powder coating applied over top to protect it or just go with powder coating/painting,
Will post some before and after pics up once im done for anyone thats intrested.........

98tls
12th August 2013, 20:36
Have a mate that not long ago picked up a real bargain Storm,hes since painted the rims black and done a few other things,looks good.Chrome/polished etc has its place but not on a VTR or any other bike of similar era and ilk in my opinion.

imdying
15th August 2013, 16:46
Yeah you can lacquer over polish. It yellows. If it gets chipped, water gets in underneath and lifts it (because you can't key a polished surface or adhesion, obviously). Of course, it also dulls the finish, in exchange for easier maintenance, but sort of missing the point isn't it.

Polished aluminum is for shit that never goes anywhere like show cars etc. Chrome is much better for durability, finish, and maintenance. If you don't neglect it, you can just wipe it with a rag and give it a buff. Polished aluminium's idea of neglect is being given an hour to start oxidising. Fuck. That. Shit.

There's a reason powdercoat is so popular... easy to maintain, cheap to have applied, more durable than paint. The finish is rubbish compared to a more durable (in most applications) 2k paint though... orange peel, can't be buffed to a mirror finish. There's also bake enamelling; your local powdercoater could talk you through all the options. Also, there are ceramic coatings that are shiny like polished aluminum, but very durable, and have the maintenance of powdercoat. It's a good balance, but pricey.

Paint technology continues to advance, taking chrome-like paints with it. They're not cheap, but give a good finish and easy to maintain. Sure it's never the same as chrome or polished metal, but then again it looks better 99% of the time (that 1% being when the chrome or polishing has just been redone).

Don't get me wrong... one of the sexiest bike parts I've ever seen was a Honda pro-arm completely mirror polished. To remove all the casting marks and take it from rough cast to that finish was mega work. I just never want to be the person who has to look after it.

bucket boy
15th August 2013, 17:11
If you want to polish the parts,you can put this stuff called adhesive promoter which is clear doesnt yellow or chip easy.

mossy1200
15th August 2013, 17:20
If you want to polish the parts,you can put this stuff called adhesive promoter which is clear doesnt yellow or chip easy.

Or pull it apart and polish it after every ride..

bucket boy
15th August 2013, 17:23
Or pull it apart and polish it after every ride..
That looks more like a brush ali finish.

imdying
15th August 2013, 17:35
Or pull it apart and polish it after every ride..That's not a polished finish though.

If those are your standards, then that's relatively easy to maintain.

bucket boy
15th August 2013, 17:45
That's not a polished finish though.

If those are your standards, then that's relatively easy to maintain.

Boy and i was trying to be nice.

mossy1200
15th August 2013, 17:59
Boy and i was trying to be nice.

Is ok that was early days of ownership a few hours after getting it home.

Still not polished lol. Idd go with an easier option.

jonbuoy
15th August 2013, 20:44
A good quality 2K clearcoat (stuff you shouldn´t really spray in the garage without the proper breathing kit) shouldn't yellow or have orange peel if its done well - a 1K lacquer will yellow and need buffing to get rid of the orange peel. Something like this:-

http://www.refinishsystems.com/product/826-103/Mipa2KDirecttoMetalClearCoat1L