PDA

View Full Version : Who's gone with dirt bike-style bars on their road bike?

98tls
10th August 2013, 21:09
What setup did you go with etc etc pics would be good....

nzspokes
10th August 2013, 21:14
yup, The day after I got it.

To wet outside to go take a photo.

98tls
10th August 2013, 21:21
yup, The day after I got it.

To wet outside to go take a photo.

Did you have to trim the fairing on yours mate?If you remember and it gets fine could you post up a pic or 2,cheers.

nzspokes
10th August 2013, 21:22
Did you have to trim the fairing on yours mate?If you remember and it gets fine could you post up a pic or 2,cheers.

Hornet mate so nothing to cut. Did the same on my Bandit with a fairing and it just touched the screen on full left lock. Never bothered about it.

98tls
10th August 2013, 21:37
Fair call,problem i have is the colour of the bike,if i trim the fairing it has to be painted and having gone down the path of colour matching with a fairing after a small off years ago i am loathe to do it again.That aside still like to see pics of your setup.

blackdog
10th August 2013, 21:48
If it ain't got clip-ons the first thing I do to a machine is get nicer (mx style) bars. I'll see if I can find a pic of the last bandit

Zetas if I remember correctly. The Renthals are a lot to spring for.

DrunkenMistake
10th August 2013, 22:09
I went naked with my Hyo 650R and I would much prefer bars over clip ons.

Couple of guys done bar conversions and kept the fairings,
http://korider.com/index.php?topic=19406.0

Good results but had to shave the top off of the screen

98tls
10th August 2013, 22:13
If it ain't got clip-ons the first thing I do to a machine is get nicer (mx style) bars. I'll see if I can find a pic of the last bandit

Zeta's if I remember correctly. The Renthals are a lot to spring for.

Yep,cool........looks like it would feel like a big motard.

98tls
10th August 2013, 22:16
I went naked with my Hyo 650R and I would much prefer bars over clip ons.

Couple of guys done bar conversions and kept the fairings,
http://korider.com/index.php?topic=19406.0

Good results but had to shave the top off of the screen

Cheers,sadly i will have to cut the plastics as well.Longer lines to i guess.

DrunkenMistake
10th August 2013, 22:19
Cheers,sadly i will have to cut the plastics as well.Longer lines to i guess.

Could you get a touring screen that has the big curve up at the top? might give the bars some clearence?

98tls
10th August 2013, 22:20
Will have to work out how much of the plastics need to go....

Geeen
10th August 2013, 22:29

I'm in the process of finding some fatbars for the Speedy, can you remember what bend you went for? Zeta is at the top of my list for locally sourced bars at the moment.

blackdog
11th August 2013, 00:57
I'm in the process of finding some fatbars for the Speedy, can you remember what bend you went for? Zeta is at the top of my list for locally sourced bars at the moment.

They were the flattest I could get, but sorry I couldn't give you dimensions. The only change that I'll make when I do it again is rip the crossbar off. No need for it now on a road bike in my mind.

blackdog
11th August 2013, 01:08
Yep,cool........looks like it would feel like a big motard.

It got it's fair share of thrashing. I once got almost 5k out of a rear tyre.

hayd3n
11th August 2013, 01:50
renthal ultralows, on my hornet , fitted lockstops coz the bars hit my tank, hornets already got bars but the ultralows are the bee knees

haydes55
11th August 2013, 01:51

Yea my bike came with dirt bike bars... motard haha

hayd3n
11th August 2013, 01:53
Fair call,problem i have is the colour of the bike,if i trim the fairing it has to be painted and having gone down the path of colour matching with a fairing after a small off years ago i am loathe to do it again.That aside still like to see pics of your setup.

find another top fairing set?? and fuck with that , then you can always go back

AllanB
11th August 2013, 09:59
Renthal Ultra lows on my Hornet 900 - no issue with tank clearance. You can also get drag bars that are flat so will give you some rise but may also give the fairing clearance you desire. LSL make a fatbar drag bar that would look the biz on your ride. Do you need to replace the top tree so you can bolt on some bar clamps or have you ordered a spunky billet one from offshore to replace the stocker?

Also consider adjustable or higher rise clipons for the TL. Plenty out there in different rise sets.

paturoa
11th August 2013, 10:06
Will have to work out how much of the plastics need to go....

There is a guy in the Tron that does replacement high rise clip on bars for SVs so that you don't have to cut the plastic, or drill the top tripple clamp. That might be an option but tweaked for TL. F1 Engineering was his name I think.

Edit: See this link there are pics on the front page. http://rapidartnz.com/

Edit 2: http://rapidartnz.com/oscommerce/index.php?cPath=30&osCsid=c8a2875eb5ea5424d3de1c85b870f005

AllanB
11th August 2013, 12:01
Considering the quality of your ride and the no expense approach to your mission of obtaining NZ's best TL, I have found you the Rolls Royce of adjustable clip-ons!

http://www.oppracing.com/product_display/15201-gilles-tooling-variobar-kit/

You'll need GSXR ones as you've changed the forks (of course.....) but what a piece of art in metal.

There are considerably cheaper options out there.

BMWST?
11th August 2013, 12:26

hey bd you dropped yer glove!

Motu
11th August 2013, 12:31
Well not dirt bike bars, but dirt track bars. I wanted a dirt bike seating position, and the dirt bike bars I had on were too low and too far forward. The dirt track bars are higher and have more sweep back - height, reach and width are exactly the same as on my previous XT600. But you are probably not after wanting to play dirt bike with your street bike.

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af212/bmwr65/P3030134_zpsa5de493b.jpg

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af212/bmwr65/2013-01-27123454_zps071a90cb.jpg

bogan
11th August 2013, 12:31
Dirt bike bars would be a huge change on the TL, even on my bros it was a pretty massive change.

Reckon you'd be better getting you hands on (geddit :lol:) something a bit more in between, perhaps even adjustable. What is it you're aiming for? overall riding position change or just a little more wrist comfort?

HenryDorsetCase
11th August 2013, 13:50

Yeppers. I had Renthal Street Low on my Honda Hornet, and my Triumph Scrambler. I still have the stock bars on the Street Triple but they are very similar height and bend.

I don't drill them to locate the switches or throttle block, I file off the locating tangs and tighten them up. If they want to spin I use a little bicycle inner tube or duct tape (i turn) as a shim.

That Renthal bend really agrees with me for some reason.

http://www.renthal.com/File/apps1.asp?tabtype=5&productid=0&appid=ROAD

HenryDorsetCase
11th August 2013, 13:51
Well not dirt bike bars, but dirt track bars. I wanted a dirt bike seating position, and the dirt bike bars I had on were too low and too far forward. The dirt track bars are higher and have more sweep back - height, reach and width are exactly the same as on my previous XT600. But you are probably not after wanting to play dirt bike with your street bike.

that bike is fucking cool.

AllanB
11th August 2013, 14:59
One advantage with the Renthal set of alloy street bike bars is that a dirt bike specific bike bar dos not need to take into account large switch blocks thus the 'straight' bit of bar on the end of a dirt specific bar is often not very long and if you desire to cut them down a bit so they are not as wide you run out of straight bar. The street bars avoid this.

LSL and Rizoma make nice 22mm alloy and fatbars for road bikes too.

I'm a driller for throttle tabs - the web debate carries on regarding this subject.

If you want to mock up a set of Renthal Ultra Lows I have a set that was on my Hornet when the MF-earthquake tipped her over. They do not appear to have suffered but I replaced them to play it safe. Happy to send them down to you if you want to tape them to your top triple, sit on the bike and make vroom vroom noises .........

I occurs to me that the TL may turn into a wheelie beast with upright bars!!!!!!

wilber
11th August 2013, 20:38
I went from stock to f1 engineering high rise clip ons they are up and back a bit felt great no mods required to cables,yes expensive but very well made .
Then after my off at the hillclimb I modded the stock triple with mx fat bars to raise even higher this is where things really start new brake lines and clutch cable and you have re route throttle and fast idle cables and cutting fairings and screen cannot remember how long I ran this setup then got a LSL top triple off Stu in Aussie ran this for a year or so but didn't like the feel position of bars and as I had one of van's top triple I worked a way out made plates and with big solid washers and mounted to vans top triple .
Lost a heap of old pic's when my pc died but will add a few I have of LSL thro not on bike and not so current setup as I have since added
hydro clutch and brembo masters

blackdog
11th August 2013, 21:00
hey bd you dropped yer glove!

Back in those heady days, time was of the essence!

Latte
12th August 2013, 10:36
After an off at the track I put MX bars on my RSV.

Used a billet top yoke from topyokes.co.uk - expensive at $500 (for a kit that included HEL braided brake and clutch lines, upgraded to anodized finish, and "fat bar" risers). Replaced the fairings with a Buell headlight/screen setup

Wheelies like my MX bike now :D Only thing I would do different is go with street specific bars (as allanb suggests, you cant narrow the MX bars much, esp with bar end mirrors on).

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=268109&d=1344832356

VTR10001999
12th August 2013, 12:17
I want to loose the clipons and change to this style of riding position on my VTR 1000.
My bike already has a single hole in either side of the top tripple tree (think thats what its called) does anyone know if this is original on VTRs or has someone drilled these two holes to fit clamps and mx style bars ?
Any ideas of what style bars and bar clamps would suit my bike ? and could i use the two holes already there and just fit new bars and clamp or will i need to also replace the whole top tripple tree as well ? Any help would be hugely appreciated - And sorry for taking over this thread but it seemed to be the appropriate place to ask.
Cneers everyone

98tls
12th August 2013, 12:17
Cheers for all the replies guys seems theres a shitload of options out there.Will do some reading and measurements and go from there,wish at times i hadnt bought a bike this frong snot green colour as its virtually impossible to get right ie someone mentioned another set of fairings to cut.A few blokes on the TL site with bikes the same colour havent had any luck getting the paint matched either.

haydes55
12th August 2013, 12:34
Cheers for all the replies guys seems theres a shitload of options out there.Will do some reading and measurements and go from there,wish at times i hadnt bought a bike this frong snot green colour as its virtually impossible to get right ie someone mentioned another set of fairings to cut.A few blokes on the TL site with bikes the same colour havent had any luck getting the paint matched either.

You could always go for an entire new paint job.

If you're so smitten by snot green, try a different shade of snot? :p

98tls
12th August 2013, 12:46
You could always go for an entire new paint job.

If you're so smitten by snot green, try a different shade of snot? :p

Theres guys making Carbon fairings for the S,might be a possibility..fuck this shit doesnt end:facepalm:

wilber
12th August 2013, 13:47
Try some hi rise clip ons first you may not want to go higher Mike, have seen some woodcraft ones on ebay of varying heights .
You can get some 3" ones and if you find they are to high you can drop them the forks,going to next level opens a whole new can of worms .

Gremlin
12th August 2013, 14:06
I've got Renthal MX bars on the CB900, but it's not nearby so no pics for you.

Cable length wasn't an issue for the change, but if the change is drastic then yes, you may need longer cables, and watch for clearance (tank and fairing). Hornet is naked, so no problems. The suggestion of a spare top fairing was a goody, never know if you will like it.

The riding position is quite a change, and on the Hornet which is a reasonably big bike, most average sized people find the riding position stretches them too much and isn't comfortable. I'm 6'3, so like it and it feels quite nice. It does make the bike a bit too wide to split through a lot of gaps, but hey, not a problem down your way!

Paulo
12th August 2013, 16:12
Put some flat -ish bars on the R80 (the stock ones were stupidly narrow, Much better now and lots more leverage, took the wobbly clocks off and replaced with an acewell unit.

98tls
12th August 2013, 19:18
Try some hi rise clip ons first you may not want to go higher Mike, have seen some woodcraft ones on ebay of varying heights .
You can get some 3" ones and if you find they are to high you can drop them the forks,going to next level opens a whole new can of worms .

Been thinking about this post this afternoon mate and come to the conclusion i am just going to have to cut the fairing,really looking for higher and wider,3" isnt going to do i dont believe,the idea 1st came when over the coast awhile back having a laugh in some really tight twisty stuff i just thought fuck this thing would be a hoot with a different bar setup,might get the young fella from Dunedin on here (hayden ?) to have a look at the fairing sometime,plenty have cut them up on the TL site so can give him some pics of what i am aftercould even run a beading around the area thats been cut rather than piss about trying to match paint.

98tls
12th August 2013, 19:21
I went from stock to f1 engineering high rise clip ons they are up and back a bit felt great no mods required to cables,yes expensive but very well made .
Then after my off at the hillclimb I modded the stock triple with mx fat bars to raise even higher this is where things really start new brake lines and clutch cable and you have re route throttle and fast idle cables and cutting fairings and screen cannot remember how long I ran this setup then got a LSL top triple off Stu in Aussie ran this for a year or so but didn't like the feel position of bars and as I had one of van's top triple I worked a way out made plates and with big solid washers and mounted to vans top triple .
Lost a heap of old pic's when my pc died but will add a few I have of LSL thro not on bike and not so current setup as I have since added
hydro clutch and brembo masters

Liking that W.Ive got one of Vans triples out in the shed.

bogan
12th August 2013, 19:21
Been thinking about this post this afternoon mate and come to the conclusion i am just going to have to cut the fairing,really looking for higher and wider,3" isnt going to do i dont believe,the idea 1st came when over the coast awhile back having a laugh in some really tight twisty stuff i just thought fuck this thing would be a hoot with a different bar setup,might get the young fella from Dunedin on here (hayden ?) to have a look at the fairing sometime,plenty have cut them up on the TL site so can give him some pics of what i am aftercould even run a beading around the area thats been cut rather than piss about trying to match paint.

Can you just take it off for testing? be a shame to go cutting things up if its not exactly what you want. Also bear in mind a large change on the bars may well mean a change on the pegs/seat is required too.

nzspokes
12th August 2013, 19:35
While on the discussion about bars, where the best place to get of the little riser blocks that bring the bars back a bit? As Gremlin has mentioned Hornets are a bit long and I like a straightish bar so some of these riser/back things may be the trick.

98tls
12th August 2013, 19:38
Can you just take it off for testing? be a shame to go cutting things up if its not exactly what you want. Also bear in mind a large change on the bars may well mean a change on the pegs/seat is required too.

Will definately do that mate,cant imagine i will have to do anything with the seat and i have pegs that are well adjustable.Been aving a gander over on the TL site and spoken to a few blokes that have gone with the higher bars,theres from time to time whole setups inclusive of lines etc come up for sale.The setup Sam has (2nd pic) i would love to try,his words "just turns it into an overweight motocross bike"...but i want to keep the fairing,or whats left of it.

AllanB
12th August 2013, 20:48
Used the suggestion earlier - this may be the simplest option presuming it fits your fork conversion. Looking at it they are running a high bend bar in the photo and I suspect as it is set back a lot more than the clip-ons clearance is not a issue.

http://www.topyokes.com/conversion/343

98tls
12th August 2013, 21:14
Used the suggestion earlier - this may be the simplest option presuming it fits your fork conversion. Looking at it they are running a high bend bar in the photo and I suspect as it is set back a lot more than the clip-ons clearance is not a issue.

Cheers mate,awesome.

mulletman
12th August 2013, 22:29
I like fat bars myself as theres no flex... Pro taper, Zeta or Rizomas, as mentioned before you need to make sure youve got enough room to fit all ya switchblocks and levers, you dont want any lever mounted on the taper or bend as it will look naff and its a real pita to use. (awkward sometimes long reach)

98tls
13th August 2013, 12:29

Spoke to a few guys in England that had nothing but good things to say about that lot mate,just trying to work out if i can keep my aftermarket steering damper with that setup.

Latte
13th August 2013, 12:43
Spoke to a few guys in England that had nothing but good things to say about that lot mate,just trying to work out if i can keep my aftermarket steering damper with that setup.

Go with the fatbars if you go topyokes.co.uk - they look waaay better

Geeen
13th August 2013, 13:25
If you want something on this side of the world try these

http://www.ausfr.com.au/cart/shopexd.asp?id=344

Just got an email back from them about parts for my bike, Real quick resonse. And its in Kiwi $$$

98tls
13th August 2013, 13:50
If you want something on this side of the world try these

http://www.ausfr.com.au/cart/shopexd.asp?id=344

Just got an email back from them about parts for my bike, Real quick resonse. And its in Kiwi $$$

:niceone:Cheers,just sent them an email myself.Ta.

Geeen
13th August 2013, 14:01
:niceone:Cheers,just sent them an email myself.Ta.

No worries, the only problem I can see with them is its a good site to make you broke.....:laugh:

manxkiwi
13th August 2013, 14:04
There's a pretty big scene in Europe, especially Germany for doing the old mx bars on sport bikes.

Every TT you see R1s, Gixxers etc etc. Unfortunately they also put these crazy tailpieces on at about 60 degrees up in the air!

Not sure if Google might be of use to track down some images/information?

Oh and I'd just like to say: I think your bike is awesome!!

Cheers.

98tls
13th August 2013, 20:25
There's a pretty big scene in Europe, especially Germany for doing the old mx bars on sport bikes.

Every TT you see R1s, Gixxers etc etc. Unfortunately they also put these crazy tailpieces on at about 60 degrees up in the air!

Not sure if Google might be of use to track down some images/information?

Oh and I'd just like to say: I think your bike is awesome!!

Cheers.

Yea ive seen a few creations with the arse stuck way up in the air,English bloke on the TL site has this stunning S right up until the arse but each to there own i guess.Personally beside the fact it was a V-twin it was the looks of the TL that made me want to buy one 12 or so years ago and i still love the way they look,just needed a bit of updating:msn-wink:I love it like i love my old couch and am just looking to make it a bit more comfy:laugh: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a92/tlme/drugdog036Medium_zpse9905c13.jpg (http://s9.photobucket.com/user/tlme/media/drugdog036Medium_zpse9905c13.jpg.html)