PDA

View Full Version : beware-anti puncture treatment

trevf
13th January 2004, 20:33
:no:
I thought i would try some anti puncture stuff in my tyres. All was well for about 6000kms then the bike started to get severe shakes at speeds over 140kph.I know i should not be doing those speeds but i was scared something might go wrong at a slower speed. We checked everything and found everything was fine . We took the tyres off to check for faults in the tyres and found that the anti puncture stuff had come loose and was rolling around in the tyres causing the vibration. Cleaned the shit out replaced tyres and no vibration.

Drunken Monkey
13th January 2004, 22:02
Dood, I'm not surprised. Some _tyres_ don't even last 6000kms, let alone puncture repairs/treatments. Repairs should really only be used for the short term, ie to get you home, or until you've saved enough for a new tyre. You certainly shouldn't be racing a tyre that's had a repair...although I agree 140 is hardly pushing the limits of a typical Z rated tyre.

(Do as I say, not as I do - I am the king of 'bodge' - "Bro, just race tape it/lock wire it together...")

trevf
14th January 2004, 07:31
:no:
this was a product called tyre shield. You put it in your tyres and it stops you getting punctures. It seals the hole as it happens. And i normally get about 10000kms out of a set of tyres.

Drunken Monkey
14th January 2004, 07:45
Fair 'nuff, although I'm yet to see a tyre manufacturer recommend that sort of product - not that it's in their interests to. It's certainly not the first time I've heard of repairs failing, ie internal glues coming loose, bungs popping out...

Are you saying you normally get 10,000km out of a _repaired_ tyre? And if this product is so bad, why are you defending it all of a sudden?

Coldkiwi
14th January 2004, 11:30
why would you want to add a loose uneven mass to your wheels anyway!? Better to by a can of spray in repairer for when your leak does happen. Got one from motomail for $23 or something. Great insurance but doesnt give me any headaches!

trevf
14th January 2004, 20:21
:weep:
yes i know i made a big mistake using a product like this. The salesman sounded so convincing. I put it in before doing the rusty nuts 1000 miler last year as i did not want to be fixing a flat in the middle of the night somewere

Kickaha
14th January 2004, 22:03
Fair 'nuff, although I'm yet to see a tyre manufacturer recommend that sort of product - not that it's in their interests to. It's certainly not the first time I've heard of repairs failing, ie internal glues coming loose, bungs popping out...

Are you saying you normally get 10,000km out of a _repaired_ tyre? And if this product is so bad, why are you defending it all of a sudden?

Tyre manufacturers don't recommend stuff like this because most of it is crap,and a lot of the puncture repair in a can type stuff are corrosive and make the tyres very hard to repair.

Jackrat
15th January 2004, 09:11
:weep:
yes i know i made a big mistake using a product like this. The salesman sounded so convincing. I put it in before doing the rusty nuts 1000 miler last year as i did not want to be fixing a flat in the middle of the night somewere
If you do the next RNMC run don't worry about that sort of thing.
That's what flunkys like me are for.Don't matter where you are, I will come an rescue/help,what ever.We didn't have a dedicated rescue truck last year, The wagon was there,but the Boss didn't realise it was available.My mistake,Sorry will NOT happen again.
And yeah all that tyre stuff is over rated in MHO.
Cheers.