PDA

View Full Version : 4 all you computer geeks out there...HELP

Rashika
23rd August 2005, 11:08
I think my PC is dying.

When powering it up, after about 3-4 secs it gives a beep beep beep beep and powers off...any clues?? Its about 2.5 years old.

Sometimes i can coax it to start as normal....few swear words sometimes helps, but mostly it wont go. Thank god I have a reliable Mac at work :whistle:

possibly the power supply?? grasping at straws here...any advice would be good, and yeah I think it will need to go to the shop, I'd really like an idea of what it may be first tho

SimJen
23rd August 2005, 11:13
Could be a faulty ram stick, faulty motherboard, failing HD.
Many things just a matter of working through them.
Is it getting fuel/spark :)

James Deuce
23rd August 2005, 11:16
Definitely 4 beeps? What brand and model of PC is it?

First thing to do is open the case, take all the cards and memory out, then put them back one at a time, making sure that they reseat correctly.

With repeated heat cycles stuff in computers often works it's way out of the slot it is in and just needs to be seated correctly to "fix" the problem.

The Stranger
23rd August 2005, 11:32
As a computer starts it goes through a process called Power On Self Test or POST for short.

If it is unable to POST and if it is unable to display an error message, either because the error is prior to display being initialised or the error is in the display subsytem itself, it beeps at you. The number and timing of the beeps is significant.

I would tend to look first at the video adapter.
It may be any of the things noted by the others here but often (definately not always though) if processor or memory or motherboard fail POST will not even commence and no beeps will be heard.

bugjuice
23rd August 2005, 11:32
just stick with the mac.. throw the PC from a high windows.

Big Dave
23rd August 2005, 11:37

I have a few words suggest you should look up and come to grips with.

1 - CONSTRUCTIVE.
2 - HELPFUL.
3 - WORTHWHILE.
4 - DICKHEAD.

bugjuice
23rd August 2005, 11:41
I have a few words suggest you should look up and come to grips with.

1 - CONSTRUCTIVE.
2 - HELPFUL.
3 - WORTHWHILE.
4 - DICKHEAD.
1 - it was constructive (and destructive at the same time, cos I'm smart)
2 - it was helpful. I merely pointed out which machine would be more reliable
3 - was very worthwhile. I'd love to see a PC bite the dust from 10 floors..
4 - don't get it..?? :woohoo:

WRT
23rd August 2005, 11:53
What CaN said . . . but would also suggest making sure all components are seated properly. Pull all adaptors out, and make sure any chips or cables that are socket mounted are seated firmly.

If still no joy, then you will probably have a faulty component. Remove all non-essential components so that you just have the bare minimum required to display something on your screen. Unplug any after market cards other than your video (such as modem, network card, etc), as well as your hard drive and any CD/DVD drives (a fault with any of these - including the cables - can stop a PC from displaying anything, however in that case *normally* you wouldnt even hear a beep). Then try powering up, see if anything comes up. If it does, then add the devices back in one at a time (starting with the drives, then moving on to add-on cards) until you find the culprit.

If still no joy, try swapping your video card out (if it isnt integrated with your motherboard), then the memory. If you have more than one stick of memory, then you can try them individually to determine if one is faulty. As a last chance, it could be your power supply, but from what you have described I would say probably not.

HTH . . .

Rashika
23rd August 2005, 11:57
Could be a faulty ram stick, faulty motherboard, failing HD.
Many things just a matter of working through them.
Is it getting fuel/spark :)
yes...at least there is a light briefly on the front of the computer but it does not get as far as loading OS/monitor etc

Definitely 4 beeps? What brand and model of PC is it?

First thing to do is open the case, take all the cards and memory out, then put them back one at a time, making sure that they reseat correctly.

With repeated heat cycles stuff in computers often works it's way out of the slot it is in and just needs to be seated correctly to "fix" the problem.

definately 4 beeps, I looked up the bios beeps error codes and found...nothing that matched exactly, frustrating
I also pulled off the case and checked all the cards, they seemed securely fitting, but I'm a bit wary of actually removing them and putting back...I'm a novice with pcs

damn tempting :)

but I kinda need the pc, it has some uses like www as my mac at home is a g3 that was on a network, so no modem....that could well be an option if this proves too expensive to fix, get a modem for the g3

Thanks for your help guys...I'm thinking it neds a trip to the doc :(

James Deuce
23rd August 2005, 12:01
Got the Brand and Model? I may have access to "other resources" if it's HP/Compaq, or IBM. Even if it isn't I may be able to find out.

Rashika
23rd August 2005, 12:17
Got the Brand and Model? I may have access to "other resources" if it's HP/Compaq, or IBM. Even if it isn't I may be able to find out.

not a brand name, it's an Athlon (forgotton what else it had, I'm at work and it is at home so cant check), was built by a local company here in chch
I have done very little to it, apart from change the cdwriter to a dvd writer about a year ago and installing a TV card at the same time.

It still has the std video card that came with it...I'm not one for upgrading much really

crashe
23rd August 2005, 12:25
I think my PC is dying.

When powering it up, after about 3-4 secs it gives a beep beep beep beep and powers off...any clues?? Its about 2.5 years old.

Sometimes i can coax it to start as normal....few swear words sometimes helps, but mostly it wont go. Thank god I have a reliable Mac at work :whistle:

possibly the power supply?? grasping at straws here...any advice would be good, and yeah I think it will need to go to the shop, I'd really like an idea of what it may be first tho

That happens to mine occassionally....

What I do is open up the side of the case..
Make sure the power is switched off at the wall.

Take out the memory cards (one at a time).... wipe them carefully and put them back in... then power up again..

Wipe the gold bit on the memory cards very very carefully.

Put back on the side cover.... and it should run sweet again.

I also blow into where the memory cards are as well to remove any dust that has got in there.

To get the memory cards out is really easy... they are only held in at each end by a clip at each end of the card.
When putting them back in... push them back into the slot gently yet firmly and make sure that the clip clicks back into place...

To take out the video card is unscrew the screw and pull it out and then refit it back into place and do up the screw again.

They sometimes work themselves loose.... dunno how... but they do.

Its a pain when it happens.... as its when you urgently need to use the comp.

Biff
23rd August 2005, 12:53
Bring it up to my house if you like. I won't fix it, but my daugheter will dance to anything that makes a noise. It's quite funny too.

Seriously - pop up with your PC, D and Kermit.

ManDownUnder
23rd August 2005, 13:12
That happens to mine occassionally....

What I do is open up the side of the case..
Make sure the power is switched off at the wall.

Take out the memory cards (one at a time).... wipe them carefully and put them back in... then power up again..

Wipe the gold bit on the memory cards very very carefully.

Put back on the side cover.... and it should run sweet again.

I also blow into where the memory cards are as well to remove any dust that has got in there.

To get the memory cards out is really easy... they are only held in at each end by a clip at each end of the card.
When putting them back in... push them back into the slot gently yet firmly and make sure that the clip clicks back into place...

To take out the video card is unscrew the screw and pull it out and then refit it back into place and do up the screw again.

They sometimes work themselves loose.... dunno how... but they do.

Its a pain when it happens.... as its when you urgently need to use the comp.

errr small point - if you "simply" do that you run the risk of frying something by way of static electricity.

It's not a bad suggestion to re seat all the cards but just wiping them clean can cause bigger and more expensive problems. Make sure you're earthed while handling PC cards (especially while removing/installing them). Plug the PC into the wall socket, turn the wall switch off, and grab part of the PC chassis while removing/installing cards. You and they will be earthed all the way)

I see someone here is tracking it down via the number of beeps - a good way to go...

Rashika
23rd August 2005, 13:20
Bring it up to my house if you like. I won't fix it, but my daugheter will dance to anything that makes a noise. It's quite funny too.

Seriously - pop up with your PC, D and Kermit.

hmm might just have to do that :niceone: , will check with D when we could do that...ta mate

James Deuce
23rd August 2005, 13:56
not a brand name, it's an Athlon (forgotton what else it had, I'm at work and it is at home so cant check), was built by a local company here in chch
I have done very little to it, apart from change the cdwriter to a dvd writer about a year ago and installing a TV card at the same time.

It still has the std video card that came with it...I'm not one for upgrading much really

Look through the pile of manuals you will have got for it, and find out what brand and model the motherboard is.

MOTOXXX
23rd August 2005, 15:06
prety much the same as everyone else said.

The number of beeps is quite important. also the length of the beeps too

ie 4 short beeps could be say system timer failure
or 3 short and one long could say memory.

pays to have a look around for the manuals if you have em

and yea do watch out for static. you can fry components without even feeling it.

Rashika
23rd August 2005, 15:21
prety much the same as everyone else said.

The number of beeps is quite important. also the length of the beeps too

ie 4 short beeps could be say system timer failure
or 3 short and one long could say memory.

pays to have a look around for the manuals if you have em

and yea do watch out for static. you can fry components without even feeling it.

yep I hunted out the bios beeps errors and absolutely nothing for 4 short beeps on any other brands I looked under...lots for any other combination but not 4 short beeps :(

N4CR
23rd August 2005, 15:28
4 beeps with an AMI bios = The system clock/timer IC has failed or there is a memory error in the first bank of memory

1 long, 3 short with AMI BIOS = Memory test failure. A fault has been detected in memory above 64KB

Try resetting the cmos - turn off the computer, unplug it from the wall, pull out that little silver battery and leave it for about 10 mins (edit: then don't forget to put it back in :lol:)

I'm guessing ram faliure.. happens every now and then and causes a crap load of random problems in totally unrelated hardware untill the ram is replaced.
Try borrowing some ram off a friend and swapping the modules around - eliminate problems.

And with static, the static problem with IC's is very rare in New Zealand due to atmospheric conditions. In Australia/South Africa etc if you even touch a mother board you usually fry it straight away while in NZ, myself and many other people in the computer industry handle components by hand without static straps etc.

Rubbing the ram modules is elevating the risk alot though crashe ;)

The Stranger
23rd August 2005, 15:34
What do you wipe the memory sticks with?

Rashika
23rd August 2005, 15:40
4 beeps with an AMI bios = The system clock/timer IC has failed or there is a memory error in the first bank of memory

1 long, 3 short with AMI BIOS = Memory test failure. A fault has been detected in memory above 64KB

Try resetting the cmos - turn off the computer, unplug it from the wall, pull out that little silver battery and leave it for about 10 mins (edit: then don't forget to put it back in :lol:)

I'm guessing ram faliure.. happens every now and then and causes a crap load of random problems in totally unrelated hardware untill the ram is replaced.
Try borrowing some ram off a friend and swapping the modules around - eliminate problems.

And with static, the static problem with IC's is very rare in New Zealand due to atmospheric conditions. In Australia/South Africa etc if you even touch a mother board you usually fry it straight away while in NZ, myself and many other people in the computer industry handle components by hand without static straps etc.

Rubbing the ram modules is elevating the risk alot though crashe ;)
hmm...I might be able to manage this :)
resetting the cmos bit I mean...forget the rubbing bit :no: static not good.
Ta for you help guys!

N4CR
23rd August 2005, 15:40
I wouldn't reccomend it at all really.... if you must make sure it is not wool/anything else that can cause static (you know you rub it and put it around your hair and it sticks etc) so test and see if they can generate static first.

The chances are extremely low but heightened when you rub them... thats all.

Blowing on them can get rid of larger particles, but won't get rid of it all.... but dust won't usually cause much of a problem untill you get a large amount, so try blowng the socket where the ram plugs into as well.

TonyB
23rd August 2005, 16:05
I think my PC is dying.

Meh! Thats nothing, mine would play a little song, repeat it again, and then beep three times before going dead. Twas a dead power supply.

MOTOXXX
23rd August 2005, 16:18
What do you wipe the memory sticks with?

memory sticks wipe themselvs

once a computer is turned off all the info in the ram is lost.

or do u mean rom?