PDA

View Full Version : Freeview time

Scuba_Steve
18th August 2013, 11:35
Normal TV's gonna be shut off soon, don't worry me so much I utilise interweb TV (TPB & YouTube) but the misses wants regular TV so Anyone out there with Set top box recommendations?
I've heard there are some boxes that can pick up Oz TV as well, if I'm gonna be getting one of these boxes might as well make it as capable as possible; anyone got experience with more than just the standard Freeview channels???

I want features, function, quality & most of all bang for buck. What do you recommend???

mashman
18th August 2013, 11:40
Freeview DVB for the PC?

nerrrd
18th August 2013, 11:50
All I know is I used to be able to get SBS on my el cheapo Freeview satellite box, then they changed the signal somehow and it stopped working.

I've heard it's more about the type/size of dish you get when it comes to other channels rather than the box?

mossy1200
18th August 2013, 11:55
I just got a couple of sat freeview boxes hooked into the existing old sky dish at home. Paid under 30 each for them off tardme. Neither one gets the the C4 music channel even though they are different brands. Also the frequency one uses for stereo speaker settings is the same as the tele remotes volume control. Just swaped them over to solve the issue. One is able to record onto memory stick.

pete376403
18th August 2013, 11:56
Can you get terrestrial signal where you are? Terrestrial gets better quality (HD) and some extra channels, eg Sommet sports.
Terrestrial requires UHF antenna, satellite requires dish

Scuba_Steve
18th August 2013, 13:17
Can you get terrestrial signal where you are? Terrestrial gets better quality (HD) and some extra channels, eg Sommet sports.

yea I'm in a UFH area

Grizzo
18th August 2013, 15:23
Onedemand on the internet is always an option for all the mainstream programmes.

Grasshopperus
18th August 2013, 16:15
The price of a STB is a good fraction of the price of a new TV with DTT FreeView built-in. As someone else said, the DTT/UHF FreeView is better quality than the DTH/Satellite stuff too.

T.W.R
18th August 2013, 16:42

We've got 19 tv channels & 3 radio here but we're in a cross-over area between broadcast centres, literally on the fringe of both...weather decides the quality of the signal.
Sommet Sports isn't that flash :oi-grr: mostly AFL, Soccer, winter sports, & CPL cricket. World Speedway champs, Mx, extreme mountain biking and the likes playing mostly in the early hours :yes:.
Caught some Monster truck racing on one of the Chinese channels (there's 3) :lol: was weird watching hulking big V8 monster trucks arena racing with a chinese commentary :pinch:

Kornholio
18th August 2013, 16:54
Sommet Sports isn't that flash :oi-grr: mostly AFL, Soccer, winter sports, & CPL cricket. World Speedway champs, Mx, extreme mountain biking and the likes playing mostly in the early hours :yes:.
C

Don't forget MotoGP which will be live at 3am tomorrow morning... There are a few sports on that I dont watch but don't care as it is free and did I mention MotoGP live? :D

T.W.R
18th August 2013, 17:01
Don't forget MotoGP which will be live at 3am tomorrow morning... There are a few sports on that I dont watch but don't care as it is free and did I mention MotoGP live? :D

sssh that's for the night owls, hopefully most will be :sleep:, just hope the signal strength improves for it tonight, it's been weak as today with the northerly blowing here :pinch: bit like watching something off youtube with a weak internet connection :brick:

Kornholio
18th August 2013, 17:08
sssh that's for the night owls, hopefully most will be :sleep:, just hope the signal strength improves for it tonight, it's been weak as today with the northerly blowing here :pinch: bit like watching something off youtube with a weak internet connection :brick:

Full replays at 3:30pm tomorrow afternoon :)

pete376403
18th August 2013, 19:23
Not too difficult to set the tv timer to turn on at 3am or whatever- the the recorder that is connected to TV AV out sockets can record (remember to set the recorder time as well)

Its a bit off pissing about but depends how much you want to view the racing

BMWST?
18th August 2013, 21:36
Not too difficult to set the tv timer to turn on at 3am or whatever- the the recorder that is connected to TV AV out sockets can record (remember to set the recorder time as well)

Its a bit off pissing about but depends how much you want to view the racing

I will have to look at that I know I have a timer to turn off.i don't have a set top box just the tv and a hdd

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

pete376403
18th August 2013, 22:44
That works for me - don't have a set top box either, just a freeview terrestrial tv and a HDD recorder.

You can turn the tv volume right down low, just don't mute it or you wont record any sound.

BMWST?
18th August 2013, 22:55
That works for me - don't have a set top box either, just a freeview terrestrial tv and a HDD recorder.

You can turn the tv volume right down low, just don't mute it or you wont record any sound.

No tv on timer but once I start recording I can turn the tv off and the recorder keeps going for a preset time up to three hours

p.dath
19th August 2013, 08:39
Normal TV's gonna be shut off soon, don't worry me so much I utilise interweb TV (TPB & YouTube) but the misses wants regular TV so Anyone out there with Set top box recommendations?
I've heard there are some boxes that can pick up Oz TV as well, if I'm gonna be getting one of these boxes might as well make it as capable as possible; anyone got experience with more than just the standard Freeview channels???

I want features, function, quality & most of all bang for buck. What do you recommend???

We are in a UHF area.

I started with a DSE unit, which was both good and cheap. Then we moved to a DishTV PVR, which the family loves. It allows you to easily record a whole series of programs (like MotoGP on Sommet Sports) or just a one off program.

I've never tried a high end expensive unit, but both of these were good for us.

swbarnett
19th August 2013, 10:50
We've gone with a two-stage approach. A low-end Loranz unit from Harvey Norman just for TV reception (although I think you can record using USB) and a Panasonic MyFreeview DVR (about $480 form the Good Guys) for dual channel recording. The Loranz is definiitely a cheap unit but works well enough now that we have a good one - we had to return the first because it would lose the signal after being put on standby (a full power cycle would bring it back). The panasonic is just like any other DVR with, of course, the MyFreeview functionality added in. We've found it quite good with a couple of foibles - the DVD player is region 4 only (and can't be made region free) We're going to have to keep our old DVR for playing our other region DVDs. Also, you can only record in HD which reduces the claimed 341 hour disk space to 70 hours; the one mitigation to this is that you can convert the recording after the fact to a smaller format.

Blackflagged
19th August 2013, 13:00
Anybody reading this Motogp`s on now! Looks like they got the times wrong in freview guide.
Like sky use to do, with Superbikes (Advertise wrong times)

p.dath
19th August 2013, 14:10
Anybody reading this Motogp`s on now! Looks like they got the times wrong in freview guide.

Bummer. Hopefully Sommet Sports will have it on later.

Kornholio
19th August 2013, 15:28

Lucky I watched it Live!

Bummer. Hopefully Sommet Sports will have it on later.

Freeview (http://www.freeviewnz.tv/tv-guide.aspx)

pete376403
19th August 2013, 19:38
No tv on timer but once I start recording I can turn the tv off and the recorder keeps going for a preset time up to three hours

Yup but if the freeview tuner is in the TV then once the TV goes off there will be no signal going to the recorder.