PDA

View Full Version : 2 weeks' diary

haydes55
18th August 2013, 21:37
I'll skip the boring shit but this is how my last 2 weeks went down.

Friday 2nd august- Hit the buy now button on an '05 Z1000 (unseen by me but checked over by a mate).

Saturday 3rd- Said mate picked up said bike and stores it safely alongside 3 other bikes (including another klx250 and classic trumpet)

Sunday 4th- Flew out if Auckland to visit my brother in Cairns

2 weeks of holidays (wake boarding, drinking, shopping, looking through bike shops, snorkeling, more drinking, perving at bikini girls)

Wednesday 7th- I RODE A FUCKING SEA TURTLE!!!!! LIKE ACTUALLY HELD ITS SHELL AS IT SWAM!!!!

The holiday wagon was a moke
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/18/9azu2u9e.jpg

Xmas eve (saturday 17th)- Flew home late, straight to bed.

Today (sunday 18th)- Got a ride to hastings with a friend to pick up my new bike (still only seen tiny pics and heard not a lot about it).

Rode it home with a few detours, first stop bluff hill (shit that hill is an adventure on my first time on a non-motard style bike in a while... and over 200kg with lots of steep uphill hairpin bends). But I made it
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/18/epe8uneh.jpg

Now the fun part, first impression of the Z1000, very tidy, has a 4 into 1 exhaust system (not overly loud, nice sound). Bike starts easy and I see it has a set of near new PR3s (bonus!). Hand grips look to be off a retarded cruiser (way too fat and not at all comfortable) first thing that I'll be changing.

As for the ride. That engine is amazingly smooth. Will pull through the entire rev range. Gets a bit of vibration over about 8,000rpm. It can cruise comfortably at 115km/h in 5th or 6th gear easily. Overtaking is a 1 step process, any gear, any length straight, just twist the wrist and you're past the nana (Holy shit 160km/h comes along in a hurry).

The twisty road out of Napier was wet and still raining. So I tested the wet grip and handling of the bike. The PR3s stuck like glue! I wasn't too game on pushing it but it felt a lot lighter than it's 200 something wet weight. I'll have a look at some rear shock adjustments later on (a little wallowy (that should be a word?) in longer bends. The front feels planted so that won't need adjusting.

I may just be in the honey moon period but this bike is fucking awesome. Very easy to handle bike at slow speed or fast pace. The engine delivers such uniform power that it's easy to ride any speed. And it goes what ever speed you tell it to. Comfy seat and position. Glad I got a thou instead of a 600.

Hitcher
18th August 2013, 21:48
The engine on a Z1000 has to be ridden to understand.

tigertim20
18th August 2013, 21:50
congrats on the ride.
dont get too comfortable too fast on it!!!

haydes55
18th August 2013, 21:52
The engine on a Z1000 has to be ridden to understand.

It's like butter, short shift through the gears and it'll just cruise, even going 40km/h in 3rd gear a twist on the throttle will launch you hard enough that you better be holding on.

BigAl
19th August 2013, 09:34
Nice bike, might see you out on the Waikato roads.

caspernz
19th August 2013, 11:32
Cool ride, enjoy! :Punk::drinkup: