PDA

View Full Version : Info' Please

Jackrat
13th January 2004, 20:41
What protective gear is needed for track racing?
Are there different licence stages?
If one get's into post classic racing how much racing is available?
Thanks.

mangell6
13th January 2004, 22:36
I see that some one is keen to get the best out of his 'new' bike. :D

bluninja
14th January 2004, 08:09
What protective gear is needed for track racing?
Are there different licence stages?
If one get's into post classic racing how much racing is available?
Thanks.
1 or 2 piece (zip together) suit, back protector, boots, gloves, helmet.
Join an MNZ affiliated club (join the cheapest if you're only joining to get your license)
Get your senior race license from MNZ (there's only one now) which runs from Jun 1st for 12 months. There's no rookie or learner stage on the license. The only way to ease in is to go in clubmans at some of the less competitive meets (such as the Pacific series at Taupo this weekend), or pop along for a track day (which doesn't need a license).

AMCC run their own post classic section and have a race meet of their own, but there's post classics classes at each AMCC club meet, and it was a support race class at the recent nationals round. So there should be the post classics meet for 2 days in Feb, plus 2 rounds of the AMCC champs in April and May.

HTH

Jackrat
14th January 2004, 08:17
I see that some one is keen to get the best out of his 'new' bike. :D

No mate,I am thinking of buying a RD350-400 or some other 2 smoke from mid 70s.I wouldn,t race an XS.It wouldn,t be competitive in any class,Plus I have done a lot more work on two strokes than four strokes,Cheaper to rebuild ect,ect.I must be catching some mid life crisis as it seems like a better idea the more I think about it. :yes:
An thanks blue,Thats what I was after :niceone:

wari
14th January 2004, 08:31
No mate,I am thinking of buying a RD350-400 or some other 2 smoke from mid 70s.I wouldn,t race an XS.It wouldn,t be competitive in any class,Plus I have done a lot more work on two strokes than four strokes,Cheaper to rebuild ect,ect.I must be catching some mid life crisis as it seems like a better idea the more I think about it. :yes:
An thanks blue,Thats what I was after :niceone:

I gues yoou've noticed the RD350's and 400's on trademe lately Jack?

Also did ya see the do it up articles in the motorcycle trader on the rd350 they did ? Bloody cool ackshelly.

Jackrat
14th January 2004, 09:05
I gues yoou've noticed the RD350's and 400's on trademe lately Jack?

Also did ya see the do it up articles in the motorcycle trader on the rd350 they did ? Bloody cool ackshelly.

Yep your on to it,Dang good stuff that Trade me.
Can,t help but think of all them Suzuki/Yamaha parts I gave away :weep:
Hell at one time I had a whole shed full of T 250/350 bits,Frames,motors,wheels,tin ware,Gave the lot away :no:
Oh for some fore sight. :laugh:

mangell6
14th January 2004, 20:26
Had two RD350s both 76'rs. Awesome bikes, loved the way they used to wallow through corners as you hung off the side.

You're right JackRat, simple to repair, sold all the bikes when the family came along. :(

LB
15th January 2004, 05:06
re Post Classic racing: if you go to a Track Time you could talk with Vince Sharpe. He and his brother Greg are both very keen (and fast!!) post classic racers. There's a big contingent up there round Auckland way, Craig Smith, Seddo etc etc. It's a neat class (well, for us old buggers anyway)