PDA

View Full Version : Anybody in Auckland able to bend a scooter frame? (Quick, easy cash?)

DanielM8
20th August 2013, 14:00
Hey,
Wondering if anybody in Auckland has a jig and would be able to help with a bent scooter frame. It has been backed in to and on the 90º where the floor frame bends up to the steering column, has bent back to more of a 140º... need it roughly bent forward, doesn't matter about being perfectly 90º, it is just a scooter after all. Anybody able to lend a hand?

Cheers

unstuck
20th August 2013, 14:08
Probably break if you try bending it back without heat. 50 degrees sounds like a big bend.:confused:

DanielM8
20th August 2013, 14:32
Probably break if you try bending it back without heat. 50 degrees sounds like a big bend.:confused:

And with heat is probably too complicated for what it is, aye? Might have to just fork out 300 for the new frame..

The Reibz
20th August 2013, 14:45
If its aluminium it can be cold bent, the metal wont love you for it though.
Steel should be heated to make it easier to work. Take the old frame to the scrappy and use the money you get on a new one might be the best bet

DanielM8
20th August 2013, 14:56
If its aluminium it can be cold bent, the metal wont love you for it though.
Steel should be heated to make it easier to work. Take the old frame to the scrappy and use the money you get on a new one might be the best bet

It's steel, you be keen on giving it a go at all? I wouldn't be worried if it breaks or goes horribly wrong, its worth the same as scrap whatever shape it's in.

The Reibz
20th August 2013, 15:21
You would need to hire a Oxy-Acet Torch set from hirepool or something and start to mongrel task to trying to set it straight in a vice or using hand tools.
Not saying it can't be done, it would just be difficult and it would cost $60 just for the torch and bottle hire

DanielM8
20th August 2013, 15:23
You would need to hire a Oxy-Acet Torch set from hirepool or something and start to mongrel task to trying to set it straight in a vice or using hand tools.
Not saying it can't be done, it would just be difficult and it would cost $60 just for the torch and bottle hire

ah yeah, sounds hardly worth it. Alright I'll take it to a scrap yard and see what they'll give me for it. Thanks for the info

F5 Dave
20th August 2013, 20:18
Your problem is that it could well fail if you've missed an underlying damage and that would be bad even at 50 k if you veer into a parked car with no warning. New frame better if not sure. Prob is that would make it a new vin as the law sees it. Stink, but cheer up, it is well past it's expiry date at 6 yrs old so you've had a good run. Save up and buy a motorbike.

mossy1200
20th August 2013, 20:43
Tie the back end to a pole and front to a towbar and do skids for 37secs. Friction over horsepower plus traction divided by time equals straightening. Your going to need a MkIII 2litre Cortina. If you cant find one then recalculation to get the timing correct is required.

Rhys
20th August 2013, 21:07
Tie the back end to a pole and front to a towbar and do skids for 37secs. Friction over horsepower plus traction divided by time equals straightening. Your going to need a MkIII 2litre Cortina. If you cant find one then recalculation to get the timing correct is required.

Or you could use a big f@ck off hammer

and then take it to a scrapy

DanielM8
20th August 2013, 21:17
Your problem is that it could well fail if you've missed an underlying damage and that would be bad even at 50 k if you veer into a parked car with no warning. New frame better if not sure. Prob is that would make it a new vin as the law sees it. Stink, but cheer up, it is well past it's expiry date at 6 yrs old so you've had a good run. Save up and buy a motorbike.

I've got a motorbike.. this one was just a project to make some money.. got the engine going and all the panels replaced so on Tardme it goes to fund the new bike ;)

ha ha you're a funny guy.. I almost did this.. didnt have a cortina though..

mossy1200
20th August 2013, 21:30
I've got a motorbike.. this one was just a project to make some money.. got the engine going and all the panels replaced so on Tardme it goes to fund the new bike ;)

Your going to bend back a frame and sell the result on tardme to make money?

Even I wouldn't do that.

DanielM8
20th August 2013, 21:36
Your going to bend back a frame and sell the result on tardme to make money?

Even I wouldn't do that.

how evil do you think I am... I'm gonna buy a new frame and sell it on trademe. do you know what people will still pay for a scooter on tardme?? more than a bike.

FROSTY
27th August 2013, 14:48
Call Djebbe bruin. Thats what he does.-only propperly.