PDA

View Full Version : No Kiwi rides in CNN Top 10

Big Dave
20th August 2013, 15:50
Only means that the author hasn't been to NZ if he rates Great Ocean Road as a better ride than Fiordland or the Waitomo loop.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/12/travel/motorcycle-rides

Swoop
20th August 2013, 15:52
Good.

Keep those bloody foreigners off of our roads!:girlfight:

Big Dave
20th August 2013, 15:54
Good.

Keep those bloody foreigners off of our roads!:girlfight:

I thought the same thing, but then I'm not a tourism operator with a bike hire bizzo.

Gremlin
20th August 2013, 15:56
Only means that the author hasn't been to NZ if he rates Great Ocean Road as a better ride than Fiordland or the Waitomo loop.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/12/travel/motorcycle-rides

No way PCH is better than Milford Sound to Greymouth either. As you say, can't have been here.

unstuck
20th August 2013, 16:05
Only saw 2 bikes up the west coast last week, both adventure bikes. Whats happening, used to see heaps of them. There was always bikes parked up in the mainstreet of Franz, not a one this time.:no:

Hitcher
20th August 2013, 16:14
The GOR is overrated as a road. The bit from Apollo Bay to Anglesea is OK -- if there's not much traffic. That bit is a bit like the Kaikoura coast road. The bit where the 12 (9 actually) Apostles are is inland a ways. Scenically it's a bit like the ride from Hawera to Opunake. A helicopter ride is the best way of taking in that stretch of coast. We've done it twice now. Yes, it's enjoyable but no, it's not one of the World's Top 10 Motorcycle Rides.

Smifffy
20th August 2013, 17:55
The GOR is overrated as a road. The bit from Apollo Bay to Anglesea is OK -- if there's not much traffic. That bit is a bit like the Kaikoura coast road. The bit where the 12 (9 actually) Apostles are is inland a ways. Scenically it's a bit like the ride from Hawera to Opunake. A helicopter ride is the best way of taking in that stretch of coast. We've done it twice now. Yes, it's enjoyable but no, it's not one of the World's Top 10 Motorcycle Rides.

Did it in a cage once with an Ocker who was just dying to see it and raved about it. Coming from the Eastern Bay of Plenty it was all rather underwhelming. Tauranga to Waihau Bay would eat it.

Big Dave
20th August 2013, 18:02
'Ocker' Srsly - do people still say that? Crikey.

Looping back to the city inland via the Dandenongs is better than the GOR.

There are several places in Aus that I would rate much higher.

The descent from the Great Divide into Cairns and across the Snowy Mountains to the township of Bright are outstanding.

Northern NSW and SEQ Hinterland are also very good.

GOR is pleasant.

Smifffy
20th August 2013, 18:07
'Ocker' Srsly - do people still say that? Crikey.

Looping back to the city inland via the Dandenongs is better than the GOR.

There are several places in Aus that I would rate much higher.

The descent from the Great Divide into Cairns and across the Snowy Mountains to the township of Bright are outstanding.

Northern NSW and SEQ Hinterland are also very good.

GOR is pleasant.

Maybe modern, urbane well adjusted and sane individuals would never use the term.

Also did Albury Wodonga to Tumut in a cage and thought it might be an excellent ride on a bike.

Big Dave
20th August 2013, 18:28
Maybe modern, urbane well adjusted and sane individuals would never use the term.

Also did Albury Wodonga to Tumut in a cage and thought it might be an excellent ride on a bike.

'Bogon has superseded the epithet in the local colloquial' he said urbanely.

You know the score. Anywhere there are mountains the riding is perty good.

There are a weathered line of hills (by NZ standards) that run a few thousand km up the eastern seaboard. Any time you can get amongst them it's pretty good.

paturoa
20th August 2013, 20:06
Shhhhh, don't tell the minister of tourism.

I'd rate the GOR as good but not great. The Great Alpine Rd is better than the GOR.

Laava
20th August 2013, 21:48
Shhhhh, don't tell the minister of tourism.

I'd rate the GOR as good but not great. The Great Alpine Rd is better than the GOR.

I missed out on the GAR but did the GOR. Also found better roads up in the snowys and close to the coast in the south of NSW. Some of them were clay tho. Jenolan Caves had some good bits too.

hayd3n
20th August 2013, 22:39
catlins ;);)