PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is the GSX-R600 U?

ourhomenz
20th August 2013, 18:42
Hi all,
Been here at kiwibikers a looong time ago. Been riding for years. Was on full license in the uk which has now expired and i actually have to front up in person to renew.... aint gonna happen anytime soon being back hom in NZ......
When i left i was only on my learners and had a number of 2 strokes, RGV's NSR's etc.. now on returning home i find i legally cant ride one on my A expired full UK bike license or my current LEARNER NZ license. So i hear about all these new laws allowing up to 660cc based on power to weight which i think is great UNTILL i see pretty much any FUN 2stroke i used to legally be allowed to own is now outlawed. Stink!!!

Any way what i did see what the GSXR600U was ok to own , but which model is the U ??????? what year ???????

I've hunted high and low and cant find any definitive info on the U model..

Any one give any insight as to which the U model is or is the suffix just government propaganda to cause an emotional breakdown caught in a desperate want shaped paradox of non existence ????

Anyway... Ill by one tomorrow if i can but unfortunately do have insurance to think about and don't really want the old Bill leaving me on the sife of the Rd holding what i understand is a $400 ticket for too big a bike on given licence class while taking my keys off me....got kids now, and a wife.....

..... sux to be responsible some times<_<

Cheers and beers!

haydes55
20th August 2013, 18:48
It's a gsxr600... only difference is suzuki have restricted the power to make it fit under the p/w ratio. So I doubt you'll find any in NZ unless you buy new and even then you might have to do some hunting. I haven't seen them stocked in hamilton last time I had a look around.

Akzle
20th August 2013, 19:05
U for 'unavailable'

oz lams spec.

Uber gay.

mossy1200
20th August 2013, 19:07
IT490 is 2 smoker.

Ender EnZed
20th August 2013, 19:29
what the hell is the GSXR600 U ?

It's a hugely restricted version with about a third the power of a normal one. It's also unavailable in NZ.

You don't want one.

The closest thing that you can buy would probably be a restricted Hyosung GT650R (http://hyosung.co.nz/lams-approved/gt650rl-efi-lams.html) or a restricted GSX650F (http://www.suzuki.co.nz/Motorcycle/Learner/GSX650FU+Learner+Approved/).

ourhomenz
20th August 2013, 19:45
yeah i hear you all.. my issue is i like a good looking bike that handles... which im used to. power not such a big issue for now as i just wannt ride something that fits at 6'2 and 96kg. even an RGV N at my size would feel small after buzzas and ZX10's etc but still wanna feel like im on a bike its actually like to own...

guess ill have to rewind 17 years and do the whole learner restriked thing again.... or improve my riding sensibility to fly under radar,, , dont crash and dont get crashed into ... to take pain away of being on .. what will feel like a moped again.. :angry:

or spend $4k on a return trip just to update UK licence to swap the moment i get off the plane!

actungbaby
20th August 2013, 20:26
IT490 is 2 smoker.

Yeah good luck finding one i chouldint belive its on the list i rode a it 400 that thing

was a beast actually no such thing as it 490 was it 465 and yz 490.

The 465 had much more usable power low end compared to it 400 which was bit of light switch.

seen few it 400,s on tradme and one 465

sil3nt
21st August 2013, 11:00
my issue is i like a good looking bike that handlesRS125 :msn-wink:

Lay off the pies and you will be all good.

TLDV8
21st August 2013, 11:27
yeah i hear you all.. my issue is i like a good looking bike that handles... which im used to. power not such a big issue for now as i just wannt ride something that fits at 6'2 and 96kg.

To easy and LAMS legal.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/spAq8JuXVUY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Banditbandit
21st August 2013, 11:32
yeah i hear you all.. my issue is i like a good looking bike that handles... which im used to. power not such a big issue for now as i just wannt ride something that fits at 6'2 and 96kg. even an RGV N at my size would feel small after buzzas and ZX10's etc but still wanna feel like im on a bike its actually like to own...

guess ill have to rewind 17 years and do the whole learner restriked thing again.... or improve my riding sensibility to fly under radar,, , dont crash and dont get crashed into ... to take pain away of being on .. what will feel like a moped again.. :angry:

or spend $4k on a return trip just to update UK licence to swap the moment i get off the plane!

I'm 6 foot and 98 kilos - my commuter scooter is a 650 Bandit ... I'd recommend the GSX650F - which is just an updated Bandit and does come in a LAMS approved model ... the GSX650F U

And - no matter how well you ride and try to fly under the radar sooner or later you're going to run into a checkpoint and get asked to produce a licence ..

unstuck
21st August 2013, 12:23
And - no matter how well you ride and try to fly under the radar sooner or later you're going to run into a checkpoint and get asked to produce a licence ..

Yep, took 32 years but they got me. :devil2:

jasonu
21st August 2013, 12:49
no such thing as it 490 was it 465 and yz 490.

Wrong there mate http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery%2520%2520A/Yamaha%2520IT490%2520%25201.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_it490.htm&h=663&w=880&sz=205&tbnid=D9aaQzhLRbbpaM:&tbnh=91&tbnw=121&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dyamaha%2Bit490%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=yamaha+it490&usg=__m6H8O-Z7MKXMetS9M6Eg5Wd-Hgk=&docid=OLY5uhjxLRc16M&sa=X&ei=mw4UUqr1BO6aigLFoYDQCA&sqi=2&ved=0CDUQ9QEwAw&dur=798

gammaguy
21st August 2013, 13:47
A bike called a GSX650FU?
seriously?

Banditbandit
22nd August 2013, 10:05
Unfortunately Yes ... I don't think Suzuki realised the FU connotations

Go here ...

http://www.suzuki.co.nz/Motorcycle/Street/GSX650FU+Learner+Approved/