PDA

View Full Version : Chambers on a LAMs approved 2 stroke?

iranana
20th August 2013, 21:19
I've been thinking about getting a pair of chambers for my RD250. My stock pipes are quite pitted and chroming them will cost just as much as a some new pipes. The nzta website says that all bikes 250cc and under are automatically approved, and bikes 251- 660cc must be in standard form. Can a 250 be modified so long as it doesn't exceed 150kw per tonne? Even if the chambers could get my RD to put out 45hp (34kw), it'd still be under the limit (145kg for the weight of the bike + 90kg for the rider = around 144kw per tonne). Would chambers keep my bike LAMs approved?

mossy1200
20th August 2013, 21:26
just do it and say nothing.

iranana
20th August 2013, 21:37
Yeah I figure no one will cotton on if I don't say anything, but in the event of ever claiming insurance I wouldn't want it to bite me in the arse

mossy1200
20th August 2013, 21:50
Yeah I figure no one will cotton on if I don't say anything, but in the event of ever claiming insurance I wouldn't want it to bite me in the arse

The issue with change is about modifing motorcycles in order to increase power and reduce weight.
Im thinking your headers are the same weight and power as stock and installed to replace your rusted out dangerous original pipes. Honest

gammaguy
20th August 2013, 21:51
Plenty of guys that work in bike shops these days that were born in the 90s have little or no idea about 2T road bikes,let alone the great unwashed in the police and Land Transport authority.

Ride and enjoy

BMWST?
20th August 2013, 22:19
Plenty of guys that work in bike shops these days that were born in the 90s have little or no idea about 2T road bikes,let alone the great unwashed in the police and Land Transport authority.

Ride and enjoy

it will only need one.I think ANY mod which alters the power to weight ratio is verboten.

mossy1200
20th August 2013, 22:32
it will only need one.I think ANY mod which alters the power to weight ratio is verboten.

Not many 20+ year old bikes have an original exaust that didn't rust and die and be replaced with an aftermarket part. Not many aftermarket mufflers come in factory weight and restricted flow. It wouldn't be a great marketing ploy to make an item that's as bad as the original. I find it hard to believe an questions would arise about header pipes on a smoker.

AllanB
20th August 2013, 22:32
What the shit is happening to NZ when a man can not pop a set of pipes on his ride.

F5 Dave
21st August 2013, 09:26
Whatever you do, keep your original pipes. spray them with grease & oil & wrap them & store them as best you can so they don't get worse. The bike will plummet in value without original pipes & prices of these will only rise.

Jantar
21st August 2013, 10:04
just do it and say nothing.
The chambers themselves will tell everyone that the exhausts aren't standard. 103dB compared to 90 dB :laugh:

iranana
21st August 2013, 10:49
Yeah I like the originals but they're ageing too quickly on the bike. They start to rust pretty quickly as soon as the bike gets even remotely damp. Been polishing and waxing them, but it's not the most effective way of keeping the rust at bay... Dunno if there's anything I could coat them in to stop the rust, either. Might be worth just getting the stock pipes re-chromed at some point - it'd up the value of the bike in the long run... I might give the NZTA a call and see what they have to say on the matter. While the majority of people might not notice the chambers, I don't want to risk invalidating my insurance or getting a nice chunky fine if the officer who pulls me over happens to know his stuff.

@F5 Dave, those carb components I bought were junk, by the way (Keyster Kits, but they didn't tell me that). Terribly machined threads on the jets and they even sent me the wrong pilot jets. Yambits ain't the place to go for carb components. They'll refund me, though. Managed to source some genuine Mikuni parts instead :eek:

F5 Dave
21st August 2013, 11:36
That's a drag. Never tried Keyster kits but they've been around for ages in the back pages of UK mags, funny they can get away with it for so long.

McFatty1000
21st August 2013, 17:53
I though that if it was under 251cc you could modify without worry? I'm in a similar boat as you otherwise..