PDA

View Full Version : When doing an oil change should I use an engine flush type additive?

Flashjammin
25th August 2013, 16:01
Basically I'm doing an oil and filter change on the bike and I'd like to know if it's recommend that I do a flush with some sort of engine oil flush additive first (like I would for the car)?
Bike is a gsxr250

Erelyes
25th August 2013, 16:08
Save your money

frogfeaturesFZR
25th August 2013, 16:13
:yes: just change the oil regularly
Save your money

Rhys
25th August 2013, 16:19
I have never bothered, just get it good and hot and have the bike level to get most of the oil out

skippa1
25th August 2013, 19:19
Who would bother doing that? What do ya think you're going to wash out?

AllanB
25th August 2013, 19:20
Nah - I'd not put that in a bike for fear of it fucking the wet clutch. May not but who knows.

If your oil is really overdue and bloody dirty do this: leave existing filter on - drain oil, throw in the cheapest dino motorcycle oil you can find - run the bike for a good spin (needs to get right through the transmission gears so don't just idle it) then drain it and change the oil and filter, then fill with something decent. You have effectively 'flushed' the old oil then.

avgas
25th August 2013, 20:38
"Wash" with a diesel oil.
Basically what I do is:
1) Drain old oil, leave in old filter
2) Put diesel oil in
3) Do about 20-30km in the diesel oil (don't thrash the clutch - take it easy, the better the diesel oil the more beans you can give it)
4) Drain diesel oil, remove old filter
5) Fit new filter, fill with new oil

Works a charm every time. Especially if you don't know what previous owner put in the oil tank (motorup etc)

caspernz
25th August 2013, 20:58
:yes: just change the oil regularly

Yes that's my approach too :wings:

mrchips
25th August 2013, 21:04
Save your money

+ 1

I've never bothered with any of my cars either. Expensive enough with oil & filter.

TimeOut
26th August 2013, 08:28
"Wash" with a diesel oil.
Basically what I do is:
1) Drain old oil, leave in old filter
2) Put diesel oil in
3) Do about 20-30km in the diesel oil (don't thrash the clutch - take it easy, the better the diesel oil the more beans you can give it)
4) Drain diesel oil, remove old filter
5) Fit new filter, fill with new oil

Works a charm every time. Especially if you don't know what previous owner put in the oil tank (motorup etc)

Only problem with that is you never get all the old oil out (up to 300 ml )

So you're mixing the good oil with some inferior oil

avgas
26th August 2013, 09:10
Actually you math is fail. This is the common wash the glass out math.

300 ml mixed in with 3L. Then removed. So really the old oil residue is actually far less than 300 ml. 300ml is 1/11th of 3.3L so therefore you could assume that 300mL diluted into 3.3L meaning you will have 1/11th of the old oil left in the sump when you do the second drain.
So basically less than 30ml of the old oil is left after the flush. Not 300mL. 300mL remaining is made up of 270mL new Diesel oil and 30mL old oil.

Also diesel additives have detergents - so break down lots of the stuff that is in the inside of the sump. Making it easy to get the nasty stuff out.

(Think of it like pissing in the pond then drinking the pond water - you might have pissed 300ml, but you don't drink 300ml of raw urine do you)

Kickaha
26th August 2013, 11:18
Which in real life doesn't matter at all and has been happening since the advent of the motor vehicle

Flip
26th August 2013, 14:53
Personally I would not bother ever doing a flush. The only time I would bother is if I was returning a old retired motor to service. If the bike was just due an oil change I don't see any advantage.

As fer as putting diesel oil in a bike goes.........Light Diesel lube oils (mixed fleet lubes) usually have dual C (commercial) and S (service station) API ratings. Usually these diesel motor oils make brillant bike oils because they have a much stronger addative package than SH and later motor oils. However few diesel oils will meet the JASO clutch compatability rating because the addative package is to strong/good.

If you are talking about "Bunker" diesel lube oils. Or lube oils made for boat motors running on bunker fuels (smelly black almost tary shit) I would have to check, however the bike motor would be clean afterwards but I would expect a wet clutch to slip.

I would just change the oil and would not worry about it and save the money when you trade up on a Harley.

The Reibz
27th August 2013, 09:39
I just did a full rebuild on a 4L falcon motor. As a prep I drained the oil and then put 5L of kerosene in it. Ran it for 20mins at Idle and reved it even 5mins or so to pump it up into the head. Kero came out the other end competely black and full of shit.

Car had 320,000km on it and the engine was spotless when I opened it after the flush. Im talking sparkling valve retainers, lifters and aloy. I flushed my air compressor like this too.

If I was to do it on a bike though I would be changing the clutch plates at the same time as the kero would probably fuck them.

pete-blen
28th August 2013, 21:29

:rolleyes:...O well if yer that picky ... yer just going to have pull the motor
down and put it though a wash tank....

AllanB
28th August 2013, 22:46
Actually the car engine flush products smell like kero........

I'd be concerned about running a engine full of a flammable product like kero............

Did the exhaust fumes smell odd?

F5 Dave
30th August 2013, 15:19
I'd be concerned about the film strength of kero in a running engine.

anyways just replace the oil

Flip
30th August 2013, 19:37
I'd be concerned about the film strength of kero in a running engine.

anyways just replace the oil

+1, but what the fuck would I know about oil.

F5 Dave
30th August 2013, 20:46
. . . Of any single person on this forum

Road kill
10th September 2013, 21:07
Check out the Q&A on the Mobil web site,,,quite interesting and they recommend you don't bother with a flush.

Goes into some detail about Dino Vs Synthetic.

Doesn't take the burn out of $120 for an oil change though:laugh:

mossy1200
10th September 2013, 21:15
Engine flush and clutch fibres. Doesn't sound a good idea to me.

skippa1
10th September 2013, 21:58
Seriously, if you think flushing with diesel oil, kero or any other voodoo shit before an oil change Is a good idea......i think you've got rocks in your head.if it was a good idea, it would be recommended in the manual, there would be brand specific flushing agents (kero labelled "Yamaha flushing fluid") etc.
Running a motor for 20min with kero in it......may make it clean and sparkly, but holy cow.....it's just dumb in my book:facepalm:

buggerit
10th September 2013, 22:17
Seriously, if you think flushing with diesel oil, kero or any other voodoo shit before an oil change Is a good idea......i think you've got rocks in your head.if it was a good idea, it would be recommended in the manual, there would be brand specific flushing agents (kero labelled "Yamaha flushing fluid") etc.
Running a motor for 20min with kero in it......may make it clean and sparkly, but holy cow.....it's just dumb in my book:facepalm:

you have to watch the shiny ,twinkly bits isn't the hardening of key conponents:crazy::nono:

The Reibz
11th September 2013, 08:40

I did it before a full tear down and rebuild. Bearings were replaced and entire head was rebuilt. Saved a fuckload of manual cleaning. The engine had 320,000km on it and had a blown headgasket. 100% fixed now apart from one ticking lifter which can barely be heard any way. I would do it again, to the same engine if it was ever needed. It won't though, not for as long as I own it anyway.

I wouldn't trust it in a motorcycle though, unless the clutch was being replaced and most of the engine being torn down and inspected.

avgas
11th September 2013, 11:39
You do know there is a difference between diesel oil and kerosene don't you?
As for brand specific flushing agents. They exist. But most people use non-OEM like anything in life. I am yet to see someone use Yamalube in a bike.

Most manuals state to strip and engine though and cleaning manually. But fuck doing that every 40-100,000km.

skippa1
11th September 2013, 21:43
You do know there is a difference between diesel oil and kerosene don't you?
As for brand specific flushing agents. They exist. But most people use non-OEM like anything in life. I am yet to see someone use Yamalube in a bike.

Most manuals state to strip and engine though and cleaning manually. But fuck doing that every 40-100,000km.

Ahhhh yeah, I know the difference. If you want to put either in your bike and run it .... Fill ya boots. Same with flushing agents..... Help yourself.
My manual says fuck all about stripping and cleaning, again, you go for it

F5 Dave
11th September 2013, 22:13
Latest Repco cattledog has combo Shell oil and some no name oil flush. Don't see Shell oil flush. Why is that? Are they missing a trick? Big oil companies don't know what they're on about?

Or it's bumpkin bollocks.