PDA

View Full Version : Breaking & joining multi-plate cam chain?

NickNZ880
29th August 2013, 07:10
I would like to replace the cam chains on a VT250FG without disturbing the rest of the motor - it goes very well but has the 'Honda can't design cam chain drives' rattle. Has anyone found a joining link, or done this in-situ just like a bicycle chain? These are 'Hy-vo'-type chains, just to be awkward. The Tsubaki reference is 82RHM2010.

MarkW
29th August 2013, 08:05
Are you sure that the chains are worn out. My NT650 and NT600 use the same sort of cam chain and the chains have been good for well in excess of 160,000km. Maybe the tensioner is worn out rather than the chain itself? Before incurring the replacement cost of a new chain it would pay to check that the chain is actually stuffed. Again, my 600 and 650 have easily measured wear indicators for the chain so maybe your 250 has these as well.

Grumph
29th August 2013, 09:24
Are you sure that the chains are worn out. My NT650 and NT600 use the same sort of cam chain and the chains have been good for well in excess of 160,000km. Maybe the tensioner is worn out rather than the chain itself? Before incurring the replacement cost of a new chain it would pay to check that the chain is actually stuffed. Again, my 600 and 650 have easily measured wear indicators for the chain so maybe your 250 has these as well.

Wot 'e said...

plus, Never try and break and re rivet a Hy vo chain - it's a factory job as the pins are longer and generally thinner than roller chain.
The consequences of bending a pin while re riveting - and running it like that - don't bear thinking about.

NickNZ880
29th August 2013, 09:34
Wot 'e said...

plus, Never try and break and re rivet a Hy vo chain - it's a factory job as the pins are longer and generally thinner than roller chain.
The consequences of bending a pin while re riveting - and running it like that - don't bear thinking about.

Thanks for the advice - roller chains are no problem but these things ... I have scored a set of very low mileage chains and tensioner assemblies off Ebay, the photos of the tensioners in particular show no wear, so i will just fit the tensioners first and see if it gets quieter. I agree this type of chain should last a long time, so long as they haven't been flapping around too much for too long. It doesn't sound terminally noisy, just a bit rattly particularly when cold. It is up to 70,000km now, which is high for one of these motors (FG version) anyway.

Trade_nancy
29th August 2013, 09:42
I agree with comments posted - suggest you DON'T do that..and camchain rattle is indicative of tensioner issues. But to answer your question: YES you can break the chain - fit a new chain with a splilt link and mushroom the new link on. Some do. The old chain is suspended, broken and a new chain tied to the end and pulled through on the old one. Just the same a new drive chain...I had a tool with which to remove the pin and push in the new one - but opted not to use it and sold it Tardme. Still available through ebay and made by Chinese knock shop. Don't think about it.
If tensioner is no longer adjustable, live with the noise until you can absorb the pain of a motor tear down. I did. My CB750 had very noisy camchain...I replaced it all - camchain, tensioner wheels and blade. The wheels and blades incorporate a hard rubberised compound which turns hardER with age and oil/fuel etc, becomes brittle and crumbles. The wear is at the wheel - not the chain...often. My camchain was longer than the new part by maybe 1-2mm.